Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #1

84 Chevy 1 ton Engine swap or rebuild?

Hi Guys,
I just picked up an 84 Chevy g30 van with a 4x4 conversion done out of Salt Lake City UT.
The engine is in need of an overhaul as there is a significant knock in the lower end. My question is would I be better off overhauling the current motor with a rebuild kit or swapping out the current 350? How difficult would it be to install a new Chevy EFI? Any experience and or suggestion/ advice would be most appreciated.
Thanks!

HVYCHVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #2

Re: 84 Chevy 1 ton Engine swap or rebuild?

Ohhhh 12V Cummings!! Ohhhh yaaa

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Van Specialties build out
buckkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckkiller
Ohhhh 12V Cummings!! Ohhhh yaaa

I think only the 4BT fits in the old chevy vans (probably the new ones too, since GM couldn't even fit the big block in after the '03 update). Plus that's a lot of torque for a unibody

That said.... there's lots of good options for high-performance GM crate motors, EFI optional. Just take quick browse through a Summit catalog, and you shouldn't have trouble finding something powerful that will mostly drop-in. Any chevy small block should bolt in, and crate motors can be ordered with their own wire harnesses and fuel delivery systems.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #4

I give a big second to the cummins swap.

Chris at Ujoint is doing the Cummins Swap on my Van now. If you call him to discuss
I am sure he will let you know what it entails and if possible.

There is some work involved and requires knowing quite a bit.

My van is the CopesCobra just in case you wish to call him and mention
I suggested it may doable. He can share with you the things that require
extra care when doing the cummins swap.

Good luck in whatever you do...Sounds like it will be a great end result--new engine
new experiences.....
Old 04-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #5

Awesome! Thanks guys! I will keep ya''l posted on the progress. Cumming swap is tempting but probably out of my price range. Leaning towards a 6.0 FE, just have to find one with the wiring harness, ECU, etc...
Old 04-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #6

I have a chance to buy a low mileage LT1 from a 96 Caprice Police car. Includes wiring Harness, ECU and is already re-programmed to delete emission, security etc. Aside from trans adapter, motor mount adapter etc. What else should I expect while making the swap/ install? Aside from the severe knock in the lower end of the current 350 there are quite a few components that are still in great shape such as the alternator, dist, etc. Advice, suggestions, experiences?
Thanks!
Old 04-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVYCHVY
I have a chance to buy a low mileage LT1 from a 96 Caprice Police car. Includes wiring Harness, ECU and is already re-programmed to delete emission, security etc. Aside from trans adapter, motor mount adapter etc. What else should I expect while making the swap/ install? Aside from the severe knock in the lower end of the current 350 there are quite a few components that are still in great shape such as the alternator, dist, etc. Advice, suggestions, experiences?
Thanks!
The alternator on the LT1 is clocked different from yours. If you don't mind pulling the case apart, you can simply re-clock it to fit the LT1.

I strongly recommend re-sealing the LT1 intake manifold prior to installation. The ends are sealed only with RTV, and it dries out after a while and makes some good oil leaks. GM has very specific instructions on re-sealing it, down to the bead-size on the new RTV.

Also I recommend replacing both the oil-level sensor, and the knock sensors, because both have a tendency to rupture internally causing oil leaks. Another problem area is the distributor. It's behind the crank pulley and water pump housing so its a PITA to replace it in the car (don't lose the intermediate shaft when you pull the water pump!). MSD makes a nice upgrade, but its $$.

Here's one I did a mild build on for a Qatari customer.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:27 PM   #8

I bought a low mileage 5.7 Chevy EFI out of a wrecked 93 Police Blazer. Engine is complete minus the wiring harness. I know there will be some obvious changes to make the swap. Can anybody give a bullet point style breakdown that includes what additional components and modifications I will need to complete the job? I am trying to stay low budget. I have about 2k at the moment for parts and labor. I will post pics shortly to document the project.
Thanks!
Old 04-28-2013, 02:41 PM   #9

The Blazer motor should be almost a direct swap. The front-ed accessory brackets will be different, but you can swap that over from your old motor. Ditto the mounts.

For wiring, I recommend these guys:
http://www.painlesswiring.com/
Note they don't sell direct. I buy their stuff through NAPA. (I'm not sure all NAPA stores are Painless dealers).