Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2018, 01:54 PM   #1

Aftermarket Exhaust Drone

Has anyone got the annoying exhaust drone after replacing the stock muffler? I recently installed a single BlackWidow Venom 250 muffler on my 2009 E350 5.4. Its sounds awesome but really awful around 1600~2100 rpms (highway speed at 65mph). I was also shocked to find NO stock resonator on the oem exhaust system. Would an aftermarket resonator cure the drone or would I need to fab a "Helmholtz Resonator" or "Branch Resonator"?

hermosadae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:33 PM   #2

I had the same issue when I had my muffler replaced, so they installed a different one that solved the problem, but two years later it now has an internal rattle that only occurs when it's cold. I took it back again, and they said I would have to buy another muffler because I obvously shook it loose while off roading!! I can't tell you what brand it is though, but still, a different muffler solved the droning issue for me.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:48 PM   #3

Arctic traveller, just out of curiosity...did your van have a factory resonator? I'm trying to figure out if mine is just missing (maybe previous owner ditched it) or our vans really did come with NO resonator. Thanks for your input.
hermosadae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:31 PM   #4
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
I’ve had good luck with magnaflow, they’re designed to NOT be as loud as lots of the other high flow brands out there, yet still has significant more flow than oem. That said, it depends on application and if you have a secondary resonator. I had to add a secondary resonator to our Sequoia when we had it.

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
SMB RB50 w/CCV top
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile RIP kit
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:37 PM   #5

I deleted my muffler and did a straight pipe. It actually sounds dam good, but, the drone is loud.
I got use to mine after about a month. Plus, I'm getting older and harder of hearing.
2x 1987 BMW 535is
1995 BMW 540i6
winmag4582001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosadae View Post
Arctic traveller, just out of curiosity...did your van have a factory resonator? I'm trying to figure out if mine is just missing (maybe previous owner ditched it) or our vans really did come with NO resonator. Thanks for your input.
I don't think so, but it could have been removed when the exhaust system was hacked up for the 4wd conversion. Anyway, the second muffler the shop put on solved the drone issue, and it was quieter too.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:04 PM   #7

Garage
Do your research on mufflers. Depending on motor some will sound terrible, some will sound good. Lots of sound clips out there these days to sample with.

Also keep in mind that some mufflers have chambers to dull noise and some will have a fiberglass pack that will slowly burn away over time and get louder and louder.

Same thing as above with resonators. You can also fine tune with resonators even more because some are directional and can be turned around. Regular direction will take away more sound and running them backwards will take away less sound. This will be dependent on resonator design.

If you have space you can also run more than one. Just remember the more stuff you have incorporated in your exhaust the more restrictions you’ll have. More restrictions blocks more hp. There’s always a little trade off.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:24 PM   #8

No resonator stock on a Ford that I've ever seen.

I have had them added to a couple vans and won't waste the money again. Did no good.

The only aftermarket muffler I've had good luck with was a Flowmaster 70 on a V10. Stock idle sound, much more open (instant difference in throttle response with no other mods) and no drone on the highway. Should be the same for any other Ford gas engine I would think.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:18 AM   #9
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosadae View Post
Quite a while ago I owned a '97 E250 with 5.4 motor, had what I thought was a horrible drone at highway speeds. A trusted independent muffler shop told me the original had been removed along with the factory resonator, all replaced with a will-fit part and piece of tube.

FWIW and IMHO the factory system for gasoline engines is quite adequate, long-lived and naturally designed for the vehicle/engine. They're pricey but over 12 years E-Series ownership with over 200K miles each have never had to replace anything or even have any service to the exhaust systems.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
FWIW and IMHO the factory system for gasoline engines is quite adequate, long-lived and naturally designed for the vehicle/engine. They're pricey but over 12 years E-Series ownership with over 200K miles each have never had to replace anything or even have any service to the exhaust systems.
I agree completely. Aftermarket will rust to bits long before the stock one. I did notice a performance gain with an aftermarket on a 460 (Banks) and a V10 (Flowmaster) but honestly I did it most for the sound. I can't stand the V10 sound stock. It sounds like a weak straight 6 to me and it's such a beast that I wanted it to sound like the beast it is.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote