Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2009, 08:48 AM   #1

air shocks?

I know I posted something on this last year but never got any responce.....
So will try again. We have an extended Ford van and was wondering if we would get a better ride on bumpy roads (which in this great country of ours there are plenty of them) if we had air shocks put on our van.

DABEE a 2006 Ford EB250 with penthouse top.
Life Is Good.
danamrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:55 PM   #2

Re: air shocks?

danamrak ,
What does your Van do on these bumpy roads and trails that you dislike most , because their are a number of different options available and the order that you approach suspension upgrades to cure a specific problem are important . Their are some very knowledgeable
members on this forum that could contribute to your specific problems and their cure if you could describe what you would like to change . For example Shocks are of little value if your vehicle's
springs are overtaxed . I am sure you will gain much knowledge and a solution with a description of your SportMobiles ride behavior .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:07 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

I can only say that I have them on my 67 Camero and don't really like them. I have air bags on my SMB and they are a hassle. My air shocks are similar. My air bags slowly deflate over time so you have to look for the leak or keep the pressure up every 4 or 5 days. Air shocks may be different and with proper plumbing you might not have any problems but finding the correct size and travel on a lifted vehicle might be difficult; I just don't know. With air bags I have to deflate them for a smoother ride on washboard. Don't think about airbags for a smoother ride either. I plan to look for good springs and proper shocks that are specific to the upgrade and set up by somebody who knows what their doing...that means not me.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:27 PM   #4

Thanks for the replys.
What I really want is a better ride when on rough roads. Maybe looking into new/differnt shocks might be the answer.

DABEE a 2006 Ford EB250 with penthouse top.
Life Is Good.
danamrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:31 PM   #5

The benefit of Rancho9000 shocks is you can adjust them, so you can play with your ride quality somewhat.

You might take it to a spring shop and have them look at it to see if there are any obvious problems. Mine, albiet with the SMB 4x4 was on the overload springs 24/7.