Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2020, 07:59 PM   #1

Alternator replacement 2006 6.0

Hi
Got a new 180 amp alternator showing up this weekend and wonder if anybody has any pointers to make the swap any easier.
Thanks

primitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:12 AM   #2

Good Morning Primitive,

I just replaced my alternator over the holidays so it's pretty fresh. So fresh in fact that all the tools necessary are still sitting on the work bench if you just want to park in the driveway and have at it. Not sure how many times you have dug into the 6.0 engine bay but my number one recommendation is be patient and don't get frustrated if it takes a lot longer than you planned. Remember working on a 6.0 in an E-Series is just like in a Pick-Up only in a bottle, a tight fitting bottle.

Forum member Geofff has the Ford shop manuals for the 2004 years available for download on his blog site. He posted the links in another thread and stated it was OK to use. Heads up, it is my experience the procedures in the Ford manual make each job sound a lot easier than in reality. I find I often need to remove more "stuff" that is in the way than the manual says I need to. By far the most frustrating job on my 6.0 to do is loosen the belt tentioner for removal and reinstall of the belt. For this reason alone I probably remove more than most just to have good access to it.

Sportsmobile & Ford E-Series Van Manuals

Look/download the link "Workshop Manual" on page 414-02-1 you will find the alternator replacement info for the 6.0.

- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 10:32 AM   #3

Thanks for the info.
I agree that everything on a E350 6.0 takes longer than expected. I’ve also learned that you can’t do the belt tensioner like a truck. I’ve got to remove the fan shroud to get a ratchet up in there to loosen it. Two replacement vacuum pumps taught me that ����
Old 01-31-2020, 02:49 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by primitive View Post
Hi
Got a new 180 amp alternator showing up this weekend and wonder if anybody has any pointers to make the swap any easier.
Thanks
No doubt setting myself up for a beating here , "easiest" method is to have someone else do it.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Thanks for the info.
I agree that everything on a E350 6.0 takes longer than expected. I’ve also learned that you can’t do the belt tensioner like a truck. I’ve got to remove the fan shroud to get a ratchet up in there to loosen it. Two replacement vacuum pumps taught me that ����
You can rent / borrow a serpentine belt tool from your local automotive parts store. I did this when replacing my 6.0 alternator and it worked great. It has a "skinny" bar with a 1/2" drive on it. It then has a hole where your 1/2" drive ratchet or breaker bar fits into. It does take two people when installing the belt. One to relieve the tension, and one to make sure the belt is in the proper position.
macsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:26 PM   #6

Thanks for the tip on the serpentine tool it worked great. One little trick I've used for serpentine belts is to keep tension on the belt with a small bungee cord while the tension is off, keeps the belt in place until the tensioner is released
Old 02-06-2020, 03:37 AM   #7
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Thanks for the tip on the serpentine tool it worked great. One little trick I've used for serpentine belts is to keep tension on the belt with a small bungee cord while the tension is off, keeps the belt in place until the tensioner is released
A bungee on the belt is an idea I began using during my last alternator changing--got tired of fishing around for the belt once it's slipped off a pulley or two. Of course most times I've changed an E-Series alternator the belt has also been replaced so that trick doesn't work then.

A tool I bought and highly recommend is this set: https://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-36...26649019&psc=1 Its a bit more than we'd typically need but the case is easily stowed in the vehicle along with an extra belt if you carry one.

First time using one you'll be glad you have it handy.
JWA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:03 PM   #8

You will need to remove the wiring harness that runs across the top of the firewall (where the back side of the hood meets). I just did my alternator and had to lay the wiring harness on the engine and just work around it. But if you don’t move it you will NEVER get your hands into the area to remove the alternator and reinstall the new one. I had 10 hrs into it by the time I had made trips to the parts store, etc..
Old 02-09-2020, 10:33 AM   #9

I would consider removing and eliminating the fan stator while you are working on the alternator. Keeping the stator off will give you access to all front accessories if you are ever on the road and need to quickly get in to your engine.

I removed my stator, and monitored the motor with a scan gauge and laser thermometer and the deltas are the same. I’m planning on doing the same to another e350 we have. It just makes maintenance a lot easier.
WillV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 01:16 PM   #10

Without the fan stator you can stick a 1/2 ratchet on the belt tensioner and the belt comes right off. Once the belt is off you take the three bolts on top of the alternator, move the alternator fwd and disconnect its wires.

I think I’m missing a couple of small steps, but that’s basically how I removed the alternator from our 6.0.
WillV is offline   Reply With Quote