Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2020, 03:31 PM   #1

Ambulance 4R100 Sensors?

Hi all, Clint here.

Guess I should start off by saying I didn’t choose the van life, the van life chose me!

A couple of custom builds for friends got me interested in a new camp rig- a 2003 E-450 ambulance. I’ve lurked on here as a guest for quite some time. As of right now, I am looking for a very specific solution, and am trying to source a part that will allow me to run the 4R100 transmission and computer that came with my ambulance. it was originally equipped with a transmission ZF parking brake. This tailshaft housing has a VSS in it with no toner ring, and any 4wd tailshaft will have an OSS with toner ring. It is to the best of my knowledge that they have different output patterns, which will cause my shift patterns to operate incorrectly. Will anyone point me in the right direction for this issue? Planning on purchasing the UJOR kit as soon as I can get the correct weight dialed, but I need this damn solution prior to that. I have asked several shops, but nobody seems to want to give up the info or the part, even for cash.

Help a guy out?
Attached Thumbnails
7F2E90BA-E1A6-4638-BB93-ADDB3066D1E6.jpeg  

84x4Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 04:18 PM   #2

If youre planning on buying the U-joint kit why dont you just call U-joint? Im sure they wont have any issues helping you solve the issue once you purchase their kit...
Chinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 05:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook View Post
If youre planning on buying the U-joint kit why dont you just call U-joint? Im sure they wont have any issues helping you solve the issue once you purchase their kit...
It’s putting the cart before the horse. I need it to roll to weigh it for springs.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:08 PM   #4

You already put the cart before the horse when you decided to yank the transmission out of it before doing your research.
Chinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook View Post
You already put the cart before the horse when you decided to yank the transmission out of it before doing your research.
This ambulance had 213k on it, so I pulled the transmission to freshen it up - So, not really. Also tightened up the shifting with a sonnex shift kit and swapped the torque converter out for a 3 plate. I’m not just some noob. Thank you though for the assumption.

This how you treat all your newcomers?

I reached out to chris, not realizing that this part may be included in a kit after contacting.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:36 PM   #6
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Ambulance 4R100 Sensors?

Email John Wood, if you’re not familiar, he’s well known for building some of the best 4r100’s in the business. Your setup looks a lot like mine, you could have a E4OD output shaft and rear housing.

http://jwtt.com/home

John@jwtt.com
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 08:03 PM   #7

Thank you for that! I’ll hit him up now.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84x4Bronco View Post

This how you treat all your newcomers?
Welcome sir. No, it's not how we treat all newcomers. It's just how Chinook treats everyone. We're glad to have you along and you'll likely find help here.

I'm racking my brain on what my exact issue was when I did this on a 98 with an early 4r100 but I do know that to get the tranny to shift right I chiseled off 2/3 of the teeth on the tone ring. John at Agile explained to me how they figured this out and it worked.

My project was a 2wd van converted to 4wd and necessary to put a new output shaft and tail housing on, then there was an electronic issue with the speed sensor from the new tail housing not playing well with the original 2wd ECU.
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what you're describing. I do not know anything about a ZF parking brake or how it might come in to play. My van was a V10 gas.

Hopefully MGmetalworks will speak up.

Have you called or do you know of John from Agile Offroad? That is who had my solution but this was years ago.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:57 AM   #9
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Welcome sir. No, it's not how we treat all newcomers. It's just how Chinook treats everyone. We're glad to have you along and you'll likely find help here.
Sadly not the first time that's been observed and commented on and yet its stock-in-trade even now.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:52 AM   #10

Thank you for the replies gents. This is the wealth of knowledge I thought I was tapping into

I’ll start checking with a couple of these places after I hear back from Chris or John.

In the mean time, swapped out a 34 spline input to a 31 spline and rebuilt the T-case
Attached Thumbnails
93C3B756-EC86-454B-8755-4A74551EC3E1.jpeg   8B5C73A4-E975-4B25-B1EF-75723748EDF1.jpeg   4BF62C05-3A2A-4E22-AF39-0E7678264E7B.jpeg  

Tags
4r100, ambulance, transmission