Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2009, 09:25 PM   #1

AMSOIL Oil Change

So it is time for my first oil change. I have the AMSOIL bypass system. So, what do I do, where do I go for the oil change, and what should it cost?

Thanks

Old 08-29-2009, 11:51 PM   #2

Re: AMSOIL Oil Change

I have been paying "Oil Changers" $35 to change the filters and oil I provide. The first time in we negotiated the price. I pay the same for the oil and filters or just an oil change.

11 RB150 MB Sprinter w/pop top
Burklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:00 AM   #3
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailsurfer
So it is time for my first oil change. I have the AMSOIL bypass system. So, what do I do, where do I go for the oil change, and what should it cost?

Thanks
The filters are expensive. Are you using AMSOIL synthetic oil as well?

I used AMSOIL filters with standard Ford oil for a couple of years. After 24K I went to AMSOIL synthetics. A big difference. Also a hit in the pocket book. I strongly suggest you have the oil tested every 5K if using extended mileage synthetics oil. Ford may not warantee it unless you change it every 7K. I have found Ford refuses to Acknowledge oil samples but it's a backup.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:44 PM   #4

So you can use other oil/syn in the amsoil system?
Do places like Oil Can Henrys carry amsoil products? Proably not.
Who sells the filters/ oil and is it best to just carry them in the van
so you always have a back up?
Ours has the system but we are new to it. Figured it would be a good add for a van like this that will be putting on a lot of miles.
Thats after reading the horror stories of the earlier installs.
77 Orig Bronco in rebuild mode "uncut"
76 Orig Bronco rebuilt & driven weekly
71 Orig Bronco rebuilt & 4sale gots everything on it
Owned a jimmy once for about 6 months.
https://www.tropicalgardensofmaui.com
https://www.mauicabins.com
twitter @runnin6mpg
Mahukaawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:13 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahukaawe
So you can use other oil/syn in the amsoil system?
Do places like Oil Can Henrys carry amsoil products? Proably not.
Who sells the filters/ oil and is it best to just carry them in the van
so you always have a back up?
Ours has the system but we are new to it. Figured it would be a good add for a van like this that will be putting on a lot of miles.
Thats after reading the horror stories of the earlier installs.
> So you can use other oil/syn in the amsoil system?
Yes you can use other oil, synthetic or not.

>Who sells the filters/ oil? Do places like Oil Can Henrys carry amsoil products?
It would probably be best to spend 20 bucks a year and become your own dealer especially if you're a diesel owner. I have found several independent local parts stores that carry AMSOIL products.

> Ours has the system but we are new to it. Figured it would be a good add for a van like this that will be putting on a lot of miles.
One of the best things you can do for a diesel is to filter the oil using a high grade twin filter system but I found a difference when using the synthetic oil as well. You should follow Fords recommendations and use Ford products during the break in period.

>Is it best to just carry them in the van so you always have a back up?
I always carry extra filters in the van. If you loose oil you can go back with regular oil and then switch back after you return home. I've also been told it's OK to top off AMSOIL with standard motor oil as an emergency to get you out of an area. AMSOIL sells a product to help clean out the old oil before you dump it. If it happens to me I will do a full change if possible by just adding something like Mobile-1 synthetic and run it for 5K then switch back to AMSOIL. At least it will keep the cost down.

>That’s after reading the horror stories of the earlier installs.
Yes it was horrible but so far I have found no engine problems that can be contributed to the mistake. Time will tell.
AMSOIL will tell you that you're able to run for longer mileage periods using their products and procedures. I plan to keep to Ford requirements until the vehicle warrantee is complete.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:00 PM   #6

I observed no discernable benefit to using AMSoil synthetics. After my supplies run out I'll be going back to regular oil. I do believe the bypass filter is a plus and if you have a SMB 4x4 a requirement because I crushed my ford filter with the front driveshaft on an extreme spring compression and I was lucky I didn't lose the engine because of the leak. The bump stop will not protect you at least w/ the 2004 design. As to time telling me if the reversed oil lines caused a potential reduction in engine service life down the road I'm not going to be holding my breath. I had 10K miles with REDUCED filtering and 5K miles with NO filtering (later AMSOil filters had a 100% effective backflow valve). Hopefully it will occur when I'm too tired to travel and too poor to fix it.
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote