Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2020, 11:27 AM   #1

Another Intermittent 6.0 issue

2006 6.0 80k miles, scan gage and all sort of hood vents, regular change of liquids with additives. Delta temps < 6 degree oil temps can get on the 130 while climb at 65 mph

Problem started during the hot SoCal Labor Day weekend while I was on a several weeks trip on the mountains, while running hotter than normal all still whiting acceptable no code parameters.

When accelerating from idle, at a stop sign vehicle jerks a few times before it “catches” and runs fine for hours or days. Never a code in my scan gage.

Otherwise she runs great and idle fines in my garage
Drained the large fuel filter, no water or sediment, filters have < 10k miles on them. Installed the fuel pump blue spring 7 yrs ago.

Stating to monitor it original OEM FICM voltage to see if it linked to the issue but at idle at home V is ok, vehicle starts fine.

What is the no code condition likely telling me, fuel supply issue ? Is this typical of a sticking injector? Shouldn’t a bad injectors post a code?

Would taking it to the dealer help at this point or is this one of those start swapping parts and see what happens or wait until it gets bad and you are stranded...

Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 12:05 PM   #2

I had an intermittent issue that caused the van to stutter just very slightly when it was hot. Turned out to be an almost broken wire that was causing a lack of info from the speed sensor to the ECU computer. Took weeks to track down as it only happened when hot but a new wiring harness from the trans to the main harness fixed it. Mine is a 2006 6.0 also.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:09 PM   #3

Tks for the info,

How you managed to track it down?
Old 10-11-2020, 12:27 PM   #4

Yes, this was a couple years ago and the problem has not returned.

The shop had to keep driving it until the problem appeared and then scanned it before they turned the engine off to get a code. The code said it was a speed sensor but it still had the problem after changing the sensor. They inspected all the wiring, which required taking off the wrap, and repaired the wiring that looked bad. The problem still happened so they installed a new wiring harness and that fixed it.
Old 10-11-2020, 05:19 PM   #5

Tks

Took her for a ride this morning and engine now send code P0404 EGR Valve Code, Valve probably sticking, it has 30k miles since last replacement

Programmed EVM and EVD into the scangage, will be watching that when the issue reoccurs but probably replacing the valve and the sensor next weekend
Old 10-11-2020, 07:46 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage
Very similar to my harness going bad as railvan stated. Sometimes I'd pull up to a stop and it would die just before coming to a stop. Other times it was just like the ignition had been turned off then it would fire back up. Very unnerving on a tough trail thinking I'd need to be extracted out in the backcountry but it always restarted. I put on a few hundred miles with the bad wiring harness but it never left me stranded.

I also had similar issues when my cam sensor failed. It was different in that it progressively got worse in a matter of days. As I headed to home (100 miles) I was lucky to make it within a couple of miles from my house and it died four of five times before I made it home.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:35 AM   #7

I had a similar erratic, jerky low power event on my 2006 E350 6.0 diesel SMB a few years ago. After driving several thousand miles from California through Canada up the Alcan highway, the jerky, low power event happened just after topping off the diesel tank near the U.S. Boarder. It was especially noticeable when first starting up in the morning and trying to climb even a moderate hill. I thought that I must have gotten some bad diesel fuel from the "podunk" station where I was trying to use up the last of our Canadian cash,.. We limped several hundred miles home to the Kenai Peninsula, Alaska. The local Ford dealership service was able to quickly determine that there was a rubbed wire in the engine top wiring harness (they had seen this one before) and quickly eliminated the problem with a new harness.
'06 Ford 6.0 PSD E350 4x4 RB50 Customized SMB w/penthouse, Aluminess Bumpers & roof playpen. All Diesel & Electric: Espar Hydronic Heat, Wallas Catalytic Hot Plate Stove, VitriFrigo 12v Fridge, Dieselsite & Amsoil Filtration,.. and my other RV is a BMW R1200GS.
AKSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:17 PM   #8

Ok took it to Capistrano Ford SoCal who’s done great work for me before ( yep $$$)

New EGR valve (actually 40k mls on the last one so not bad) and a “decarbonization” process they recommended and claim to be ford recommend for the 6.0 and 6.7. Something about manual cleaning followed by a machine that does some internal cleaning,

Not sure how I feel about the already done cleaning, will post update once I put some miles on it.