Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2019, 01:34 PM   #1

Another stupid sterling upgrade thread

My D60 ford trac-loc blew out the pins for the second time, local shop I trust said my van is too damn heavy and to upgrade to a sterling. This was on my to-do list anyway but looking at car-part.com I do not know exactly what I am supposed to be selecting.

I've chosen 2005 Ford Superduty rear axle assembly, what one do I need to choose to get the results I want? I have 4.10s and I think I'm going to add a true-trac.

-SRW obviously
-10.5?
-4.10s, or does that matter if I add a true-trac and have to change the carrier?
-Do my calipers swap over or do I need these with the new axle?
- reasons not to go bigger, like the 11.25?

Thank you for any advice

Luke
Attached Thumbnails
sterling.jpg  

Old 02-04-2019, 02:20 PM   #2

Dana 60's are known for being plenty tough. What the heck are you doing to that poor 4x4 to break the pins out of the carrier?

Stuff like that usually happens while climbing over rocks, where the leaf spring 'winds up', the tire slips and the spring unwinds, then tire grabs again, smacking the internals like an impact hammer. The carriers are cast steel I think, should put up with a lot of punishment.

I don't know very much about the Sterling rear axles other than they are available in both 11.25 and 10.50, came with disc brakes, and are available with some form of posi-traction differential. I think they are all full float bearing assemblies. Be careful to NOT get one out of an Explorer, as they are several inches too narrow for a van.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:33 PM   #3

Stick with SRW Pickup F250/F350 Sterling 10.5. Years 05-07 are pretty easy swap. Ring gear speed sensor is the same as van's. Newer Sterling axles have wheel speed sensors on each hub. Can still be made to work but more to do. I like the later model stuff because of the Electronic locking diff as a factory option. Most axles won't come with calipers. You'll have to buy new. Sometimes you get lucky and get the entire thing.

Ebrake cables are available on rockauto.com. Spring perches I've purchased through places like Ballistic Fabrication.

If you're careful cutting the shock mounts off, you can trim them a little and get them to fit for the van shock config. Plenty of shock mount tabs available online though.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:55 PM   #4

Garage
^^^ is there an ebrake cable that's a direct replacement?? I know ujoint sells a kit, but it was out of my price range.

as mg said, it will be luck to get the stock calipers. that's a first pull item off all cars at salvage yards. gotta know someone there to get those in most cases...

keep in mind that this upgrade will take away the option to use 16" wheels unless they will maybe work with a spacer, but that would really put the rears outward.

I used the opportunity to get rid of my custom Quigley unit bearings that are 8x165 and now use the off the shelf 03 f350 8x170 unit bearings that can be had most anywhere.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:07 PM   #5

The ebrake cables that come on the Sterling axles have worked for me. They connect to the frame in the same spot as the stock cables. I've just had to make a cable between the end of the foot brake cable and the axle cables. All vans have a cable in between the two but I've seen so many different lengths that I just gave up trying to find one that worked and made my own.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
Stick with SRW Pickup F250/F350 Sterling 10.5. Years 05-07 are pretty easy swap. Ring gear speed sensor is the same as van's. Newer Sterling axles have wheel speed sensors on each hub. Can still be made to work but more to do. I like the later model stuff because of the Electronic locking diff as a factory option. Most axles won't come with calipers. You'll have to buy new. Sometimes you get lucky and get the entire thing.

Ebrake cables are available on rockauto.com. Spring perches I've purchased through places like Ballistic Fabrication.

If you're careful cutting the shock mounts off, you can trim them a little and get them to fit for the van shock config. Plenty of shock mount tabs available online though.
Thank you MG and others for input. Here are the results closest to me, the first one is a 2007, no mileage listed but would plan to refresh everything. Will buying an axle with 4.10s like this one save me significant money or will adding the true-trac trigger some need to replace the gears anyway?
Attached Thumbnails
sterling2.jpg  
Old 02-04-2019, 04:38 PM   #7

Maybe I missed it... which is currently in your van, semi-float or full-floater?
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso View Post
Maybe I missed it... which is currently in your van, semi-float or full-floater?
Sorry about that, it’s a semi float with factory 4.10 LSD (trac-loc)
luked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:28 PM   #9

Semi floats are weak sauce on these vans. Trust me, I know....I destroyed mine in under 40k miles.
Just make it simple and find a full float out of a salvage E series. Same everything, bolts right up and it's rated for significantly more weight.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by saline View Post
Just make it simple and find a full float out of a salvage E series. Same everything, bolts right up and it's rated for significantly more weight.
Wait...I thought you had to go with a Sterling in a 4x4?
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote