Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2020, 01:12 PM   #1
GGE

any ideas for not working 6.0l

Hi,

after a long time of reading, my first problem with the van and question what to do.
Short overview. I‘m living in germany and after some years I bought mid of last year an E350 EB , Explorervan conversion MY2007, 6.0l, 192.00mls. It is a rare Diesel in germany, but I like big engines

So, after a lot of weeks with a simple campervan build for myself - I will mainly use the van to go to racetracks with a trailer for my race bikes.

so, yesterday I start the engine, no problems, drive about 35mls, visiting friends and stopped at home. 2h later I start again but: engine didn‘t start.

All marks, lights are working, I‘ve checked fuses, all fine, Diesel 3/4 full, Batterienpower ok, no leaks under the van.
The starter is working, but the engine didn‘t start..

It will be helpful for me, if anyone has a hint, idea etc. In germany not so many people working with IDI Diesel engines. So I will ask an IVECO shop, mybe they are willing to help.

sorry for my rusty english, it will be better again...

thanks,
Gunter

GGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 01:45 PM   #2

Greetings and welcome Gunter,

With only knowing what you described above the first thing I would do if my 6.0l did this is wait for the engine to cool down again and try to start the motor. I would want the motor to be below 25 degrees Celsius before attempting to start again. The colder the better. If the motor dose start when cold but will not start when up to operating temperature will be important in diagnosing the problem. This is known as a "hot no start" and is an indicator of an internal oil leak of the high pressure oil system for the fuel injectors.

Also if you are not aware, the Ford PSD 6.0l is the same as the International Navistar VT 365. I was under the impression that the International Navistar was used in Europe and that there would be mechanics that would be educated on the engine. I would try to find mechanics in your area that would have experience in the engine.

Keep us updated on what you find out
-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 01:52 PM   #3

Garage
I just had my first issue on 25k new engine built to be bulletproof. My issue was the ICP sensor. I have learned that this is a failure item that causes no start situation. As Shuttlepilot pointed out my van started once it was cool. My mechanic said he has poured ice water on these sensors to get a vehicle back to the shop. There is a code that diagnosis this. Do you have access to a reader?
Old 03-01-2020, 11:59 PM   #4
GGE

Hi Eric and vandiesel,

'hot not srtart' istn't possible. Yes, first I tried after 2h hours after my last stop, second try was 24 hours later, weather temp. at my homeplace is around 10deg. cels.

thanks for your input. it's now 8:00am in germany and I will go to the shop and keep you informed

Gunter
Old 03-02-2020, 06:25 AM   #5
GGE

So,
the truckshop guy had a look, his (german) reader works fine, VIN etc was all correct. Error code was P2291-60. Google is telling me, no ICP, failure hpop pump.
We tried now to get an ICP sensor.
It is correct, that the sensor is sitting on the valve cover/head at the passenger side bank?

All fuses are tested, all correct and no damage.

Will see what happend next

thanks
Gunter
Old 03-02-2020, 10:46 AM   #6

Garage
My recollection is that is on the driver side cover. It takes a slotted socket to remove. Very easy to replace. The HPOP is another matter.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:29 AM   #7

Do you have a computer with diagnostics software, that you can connect to the van?

That error code can mean several things, as you have discovered. To narrow down the possibilities, you will need to monitor the actual injection pressure AND ICP duty cycle while cranking.

Just a couple examples of what you might see:

-zero injection pressure. This doesn't really happen. This would be likely a bad sensor.
-Low injection pressure, but the ICP duty cycle isn't maxed out = bad ICP solenoid
-Low injection pressure AND ICP is 100%. This suggests injection pressure is actually low.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:18 AM   #8
GGE

Thanks for now,
the van is now in a shop and we will see if the existing (german) equipment will do the job to measure all parameter
@carringb
Thanks for your tips
Old 03-11-2020, 03:36 PM   #9
GGE

first update,
my shop change the ICP Sensor, no solution. Same P2285 error. At the moment I‘m in Spain for motorcycling at the racetrack.
Measurememt are not done completly, so I‘ll hope my shop can do this, or I have to a more experienced shop, few miles away from my home place.

thanks
Gunter