Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2019, 10:15 AM   #1

Any input on propane injection?

One of the guys at work turned me on to this the other day. By adding propane to the air mixture you supposedly get more complete combustion, better horsepower, better mileage, lower operating temps, etc. Basically too good to be true, right?

Has anyone tried it or have any input? Says it needs a propane vapor tank. I'm assuming that means you couldn't pull directly from the onboard tank?

I haven't looked too deeply into it, but wondering how the savings from increased mileage stacks up against the cost of the propane you're using.

http://www.dieselperformanceproducts.com/faq.html

-Mark...

DosMars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 12:43 PM   #2

Yes, propane injection adds power. It also improves combustion on older IDI and even low-pressure direct injection systems like the 7.3L PSD.

Once high pressure direct injection came around, combustion efficiency got pretty good, and hence the lack of black smoke. So at that point, propane injection is just more fuel, and the corresponding issues that can accompany added fuel, such as excessive EGTs. And high-pressure direct injection can easily just add more fuel with tuning.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:27 PM   #3

Garage
Interesting, I haven't seen this before. Of course I have only owned a diesel for a couple years but it definitely would be cool to see someone do it first so I can copy haha. Just your onboard tank should work fine I would think, the vapor is what you run off the appliances, 80 or so is filled with the liquid propane and the 20% on top is what you are using, that's why they only fill tanks to 80% capacity. How long that tank would last using it to drive too I have no idea. Wonder how much these systems cost to even pay for itself before being beneficial.
nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote