Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2021, 02:13 PM   #1

Anybody changed the exh manifold on a 5.4?

I have a cracked passenger side exhaust manifold that I need to change. The studs are only a couple years old, so hopefully the nuts can be removed, but I cant even see the forward ones. Has anyone pulled the manifold, and if so, any tips or an estimate of the time involved? Thanks in advance...........

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:23 PM   #2

Oh boy. I honestly don't recommend doing this yourself. I have had the problem a couple of times but not on a 5.4l

Just take it to someone. You'll have to shop mechanics because most who have done it before will outright turn you down. I speak mostly of older American iron big blocks and such stuffed in to van cabs. The 5.4 could be different.....but I doubt it.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:27 AM   #3

Just being a little pro-active and "curious" regarding my van's exhaust manifold bolts (possibly subject to rotting out ?) I was quoted roughly $ 1,400 bucks to just replace the bolts with new stainless bolts - due to all the crap needed to be removed to GET TO the bolts ! Mine's a V-10 -- OUCH !!
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:15 PM   #4

That's if they don't have a problem. They always have a problem. If the word 'easy out' is mentioned when your frustrated mechanic calls you just tell him to donate the van and cut your losses.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:27 AM   #5

I read someplace about some special studs a person should use when replacing the corroded factory exhaust studs. I cant recall where i read about them, but the claim was that they dont deteriorate like the factory studs.

Anyone else read anything about these studs?
ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:11 AM   #6

Garage
Even if you aren’t doing the work yourself your tech would be thrilled if you started spraying all the studs daily with a mixture of atf and acetone or some kind of other penetrating oil.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:35 AM   #7

Very good idea Shenrie.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:36 AM   #8

I remember reading that thread also (Sherrie) on this forum - but don't know where to go to find it ??
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIron View Post
I read someplace about some special studs a person should use when replacing the corroded factory exhaust studs. I cant recall where i read about them, but the claim was that they dont deteriorate like the factory studs.

Anyone else read anything about these studs?
I have encountered Titanium exhaust studs on motors for that reason. I have also encountered Zirconium hardware on aircraft. When my motor comes out (6.0 PSD) I will probably look into titanium exhaust hardware.

X2 on the soaking the rusty hardware with the penetrating oil of your choice. I would keep the bolts wet as much as possible for a week or two before attempting to remove. It's amazing how bad the rust can be but with enough soak time it will come apart.

- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 01:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttlePilot View Post
I have encountered Titanium exhaust studs on motors for that reason. I have also encountered Zirconium hardware on aircraft. When my motor comes out (6.0 PSD) I will probably look into titanium exhaust hardware.

X2 on the soaking the rusty hardware with the penetrating oil of your choice. I would keep the bolts wet as much as possible for a week or two before attempting to remove. It's amazing how bad the rust can be but with enough soak time it will come apart.

- Eric
I have had excellent results with welding nuts onto steel exhaust studs in Aluminum motorcycle heads. The welder heat seems to break loose the corrosion that causes them to seize. Might be a good thing to do even if you have plenty of thread to grab.
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote