Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2009, 11:23 AM   #1

Anyone have a coolant filter on a 6.0?

I bought the DieselSite Coolant filter kit. After reading the instructions, and looking around the engine compartment, I cannot figure out how to splice into the heater lines. They are so hidden behind the AC plumbing, Alternator, Turbo tubing and more. Heck, I can barely see them from front or rear, let alone cut the line, add a tee fitting and hose clamps.

If you have one, how did you install it?

Mike

2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:06 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to Switchfoot
Re: Anyone have a coolant filter on a 6.0?

I hear you Mike after reading all the horror stories of what residual casting sand in the engine block can do to the egr cooler which can clog and take out the oil cooler.

I want to do the same but couldn't make heads or tails of where the heater lines are near the HVAC black box on the passenger side. I emailed Dieselstop about whether their kit would fit our vans and never heard back.

I also wanted to add the vacuum-controlled valve they sell that stops all coolant flow to the heater core (like many of the automatic climate control Ford trucks have) so I don't get so much hot air on the vent setting and the AC would work more efficiently as well.

My van has the factory rear AC/heat and those heater lines are readily accessible on the inside of the frame rail. I thought of putting a filter there, but wonder if its too far away from the engine block to do much good.

Will be very curious to read if others have addressed this issue.

Bob
Old 11-06-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchfoot

I also wanted to add the vacuum-controlled valve they sell that stops all coolant flow to the heater core (like many of the automatic climate control Ford trucks have) so I don't get so much hot air on the vent setting and the AC would work more efficiently as well.

My van has the factory rear AC/heat and those heater lines are readily accessible on the inside of the frame rail. I thought of putting a filter there, but wonder if its too far away from the engine block to do much good.

Will be very curious to read if others have addressed this issue.

Bob
Bob,

I bought one of the collant valves quite some time ago, and not wanting to deal with the rats nest of vacuum lines and coolant hoses myself, I brought the valve with me on one of my visits to SMBw and asked them to install it. They had a conversation with a local Ford dealer, who told them is wasn't necessary on either '05+ or '06+ vans because of something the factory did. Well if it's fixed on my van, I'd hate to see what it would have been like before it was fixed.

I still have the valve (though I've misplaced the directions) and still plan to tackle the issue one day. I know, famous last words.

Herb
Old 11-25-2009, 10:50 AM   #4

We installed one on our van by mounting the filter under the van (next to the fuel-filter). We took the input for the filter from the rear block-drains (already plumbed in for our coolant-pre-heater), and sent the return up along the driver's side frame rail and joined into the EGR de-gas line.

The BB software does not seem to like me linking images from our log, so you can go to see a few more details and pictures at our web-site.

Flow out of the return is still healthy, so I have not pulled the filter to see what is in it yet.

-e
Old 11-25-2009, 03:28 PM   #5

I actually got the filter installed. See the thread at:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3832&start=0

On another forum, ridintall installed a coolant filter on a van with rear AC and that gave me the inspiration to go ahead and try mine.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote