Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2008, 12:19 AM   #11

As a part of our recent orientation at SMB West (Feb 13), Jonathan gave us an excellent description of proper operation of the Atlas II transfer case using their cutaway demonstration case. I captured this on video and have just posted it on YouTube.

Youtube link:

Enjoy!

Old 02-24-2008, 08:26 AM   #12

Thanks ridgerunner! That's far more info on the 4WD than we got whe we picked up our Sporty a year ago. Great video!

Now did you happen to record how to operate the stereo system?
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:19 PM   #13

Well, Bubba, did you discover any issues with the Sportsmobile when you checked it out? Tires bad? Smell like cat pee? Anything?
Old 02-27-2008, 04:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffff
Just FYI, extended driving at high speeds (e.g. 70+ MPH) with the hubs locked (even in 2WD) can cause the front differential to puke out fluid, spraying it on the left-front shock absorber. It really freaked me out when this happened to me driving down in Baja.

And, yes, shifting the Atlas transfer case is difficult. With practice, you'll learn the finesse of driving in just the right way to unload the drive-train for an instant to allow a smooth shift. Otherwise, you can try turning off the engine before shifting.

-- Geoff
Just curious if you shift the transfer case while the SMB is in motion?

If so, I didn't realize you could or should do this.

I've always stopped the van before I throw it into 4wd or go between high and low ratio. Even when stopped, it can be a PITA to shift into 4wd. I'ver never been in a crisis/stuck position, but often wonder how I'd get it to shift if I could not move the van forward or backward a few feet.

Rob
Old 02-27-2008, 04:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMrider

Just curious if you shift the transfer case while the SMB is in motion?

If so, I didn't realize you could or should do this.

Rob
I was told by SMB when I picked up my van that it helped to SLOWLY drive forward when switching the front in High, but for moving into low to stay in neutral.

I'm not saying that's correct; I'm more relaying that info so that some guru here can both instruct Rob AND correct my understanding...
Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:32 PM   #16

In my experience...

Shifting the transfer case between 4-High and 2-High (engaging/disengaging the front wheels) can be done at any speed. I do this all the time when driving in partially snowy conditions with the front hubs locked. To shift, it helps to minimize torque on the transfer case -- stay in Drive, but be neither accelerating nor decelerating. Don't try shifting in the middle of a sharp turn.

Shifting the transfer case in and out of Low is best done rolling very slow (<5 MPH but not stopped) in Neutral. If something goes wrong and I get stuck with a transfer case lever between High and Low (e.g. Neutral), then I have to stop and turn off the engine to complete the shift (happens about half the time).

-- Geoff
Old 02-27-2008, 08:47 PM   #17

The problem with High to Low while moving is it is very hard to guage "slow enough". Usually there is no reason to go High to Low unless you're stopped or nearly so.

As far as Low to High and in and out of 4wd in either moving is fine. I don't recommend highway speeds, although shoving it into 4x on a patch of ice or snow beats wrecking, but I've shifted in 4wd high as fast as 55 on dirt roads. And out, albiet probably at 30 or so... not that it's not OK to go out faster I just haven't had the occasion.