Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2014, 10:04 PM   #21

Garage
Re: Bed Plate Leak

The YURT is back in the driveway! Picked it up this morning from the Ford dealer. So, here are the results:

The good news:
They fixed the bed plate leak and replaced the turbo under warranty. While he had the engine out he replaced all gaskets below the bed plate and replaced two sensors on the bed plate. He re-routed several wires to clean things up and re-supported a couple of hoses and wires that were loose and 'dangling'. He checked out everything that was reasonable to access and found everything to be in good shape. All this was done under warranty. And he didn't have to do anything with the 4-wheel drive system to remove the engine, which he thought might have to be done.

On top of the warranty work I had the EGR cooler replaced with a Bulletproof EGR cooler, the oil cooler replaced with a Ford oil cooler and I had the high pressure oil pump updated with the new conversion kit which replaces the threaded port (not sure what else to call it) that is a weak point in the system. I asked the mechanic, who has the same engine in his pick-up, about the Bulletproof oil cooler. He suggested the Ford oil cooler. He is familiar with the Bulletproof products and likes them but thought that with the large Aluminess bumper and the crowded area behind the grill that there wouldn't be much room and he was worried about the air flow. He had confidence replacing the existing oil cooler with another Ford oil cooler. Plus it was about $1,500 cheaper.
I bought the Bulletproof EGR cooler because I could get a better cost myself. My cost was $350 plus tax. The dealer supplied the Ford oil cooler, some additional piping? and the conversion kit for the HPOP at a cost of $600. He charged me 1-1/2 hours labor to replace all the parts.

The bad news:
The dealer charged me 12-1/2 hours labor due to the after-market parts on the SMB. Labor to remove and re-install the bumper, Amsoil piping, winch and lighting wires and any wires or hoses that were in the engine compartment that was not stock. I don't have a list of everything he considered after-market that they charged me for. I was disappointed in the additional costs but was confident he did a good job with all the work.

I spent about 45 minutes with the mechanic this morning going over the major portion of the work. He took the time to show me pictures in his manuals of what the bed plate looked like, where the other gaskets and the sensors were that he replaced, where the EGR cooler was located, etc. This was educational for me. I know the basics of engines in general but am not a gearhead by any means.

Al, the mechanic, did a good job and has a lot of experience and knowledge and I wouldn't hesitate to have him do additional work. A little disappointed in the extra labor but overall I'm very happy with the work and confident that the SMB is in better shape.

Thanks to everyone who commented earlier and offered suggestions and their experience.

Mike

Old 02-01-2014, 09:26 AM   #22

Garage

Good for you, Mike, and I wish you thousands of great running miles. Since I had similar work done to my '07, it runs like a top.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:10 AM   #23

MKRyan/Mike,

Which Ford dealer did you use? Ya know, just in case.......
Old 02-03-2014, 12:37 PM   #24

Garage

I took the SMB to Courtesy Ford in Pocatello.

Mike
Old 02-04-2014, 05:15 PM   #25

Cool, glad it finally got done. I was in there talking to Al about mine & checked on yours. He is a good mechanic and knows the PSD real well - has worked on lots of UPRR trucks with the PSD's in them.

I think you are going to sleep a lot better by heading off potential problems down the road.

Thanks for the write up.