Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2010, 05:33 PM   #31

Send a message via MSN to bettyford
Re: Bed Plate Leak

Update?

Old 04-26-2010, 10:02 AM   #32

Decided to put it on hold - the leak is actually smaller than I first reported, about 1 tablespoon. I have the Ford extended warranty which covers the 6.0l until May of 2014. I plan to just monitor the leak and see if it gets worse or if something else pops up, then it would make justifying pulling the engine easier. I'm still not positive that the mechanics here at the local Ford garage have correctly identified the cause of the leak. It very well may be the common bed plate leak found on the 6.0l, but it may be a rear engine seal, they are very close to each other and really hard to tell, though I guess it really doesn't matter.

This thread sure helped me form a decision and also identify some Ford service shops that have previous experience pulling these engines out the front. I reckon that if you went to a shop with no prior experience pulling the 6.0l out, that you would be in for a lot of unanticipated problems down the road. Having said that I'm sure you could still have trouble even with mechanics experienced with pulling the engines out of SMB's, but I think you would be stacking the odds in your favor by seeking mechanics who have done this before.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:17 AM   #33

It might be a good idea to take it to a larger dealership that deals with the 6.0L a bit more. A dealership that services ambulances is usually pretty squared away.
FWIW, my dealership originally thought I had a bed plate leak but when they looked into it a bit further the found the rear cranckcase seal leaking. This required pulling the transmission, not the engine. All under warranty and there was no charge for removal of the "aftermarket items".
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:37 PM   #34

Saline,

Just checking, was that Western Slope Ford in Grand Junction?

Thanks,

Scott
Old 04-26-2010, 07:08 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by stikine
Saline,

Just checking, was that Western Slope Ford in Grand Junction?

Thanks,

Scott
Yep. They have treated me pretty well. They see a huge amount of 6.0L's due to the oil and natural gas development in the region. Haliban, BJ services, Shlumbereger etc. most of which are 6.0l's.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:39 PM   #36

Does anyone know of a Ford dealer in Seattle area that has dealt with the bed plate leak before. I have an SMB that needs to be looked at mechanically and would appreciate a reference first rather than randomly picking a ford dealer near me. Thanks.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:21 AM   #37

Just an update on my reported bed plate leak. Even though the local Ford shop claimed I had a bed plate leak, every time I rubbed the tablespoon sized leak on my concrete garage floor with my fingers I just couldn't convince myself it was oil.

To begin with it was very clean looking, not the black, soot looking oil from the engine. It also has slippery-greasy quality when rubbed between my fingers. I don't believe I have any leak at all, and the Ford Mechanics wanted to pull the engine - in fact they were very insistent, wanted it done right away - strange.

Now I'm on the prowl to find what I think I really have, a coolant leak!
Old 06-18-2010, 06:24 PM   #38

If you want ID the fluid leak, put a clean piece of cardboard down, and put Saran Wrap or some plastic in it so the fluid won't soak in. If the cardboard is white it will be easier to see color.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:46 PM   #39

Very interesting thread. Not sure how I missed this one, but I just found it today.

My 6.0psd has had a drop or two of oil on the bell housing since day one. 50k miles later, still the same drop or two of oil. The drop very seldom ever falls onto the ground. It just stays there. I've read far and wide on this issue and it seems to be a near universal condition with the PSD motors. They seep. Many, including some Ford diesel techs, claim that seepage is considered normal and it isn't a 'leak' until it is emitting larger amounts of oil.

Given the potential downside, time and complexity already mentioned in having it 'fixed', I'm fine with just letting it be.

R
Old 06-23-2010, 10:53 PM   #40
Site Team

Garage

Since my repair done by Freedom Ford of Fresno I now have to claim...

These guys do a fair amount of work on SMB's so I felt they would be a beter choice than our locals. So the bed plate gasket was installed and after a 90 mile drive back home all seemed well.

SMB was very upset to find F Ford cut off the bumper and had to purchase new brackets plus they had to re-adjust it. Ford left it out in the open and somone sprayed some kind of weed killer on it and jacked up the paint job. I've been able to wax out the bumper but it's not the same.

The headlights were not adjusted correctly. Got soaked in the rain trying to get em right.

I had a heater hose pop of that resulted in a tow. Coincidence?

My air conditionar was not charged up correctly or there is a leak. I do have the Starcool so maybe they just didn't put enough in but I want my 166 dollar worth of freon back. This is still TBD and is going back soon.

They also forgot to hook up some electrical connectors to the AC...SMB fixed it.

My transfer case does not shift as easy as it did before the job.

The winch was not hooked up properly...SMB fixed it.

Just got back from Yellowstone and I got oil all over the ground...THE BED PLATE GASKET?

So my advise is to make sure whatever dealership does the job, make sure they will outfit you with a rental car if you ever have to return because of a screwed up job. Lastly I hope they hooked the AMSOIL lines up correctly. Just thought of that...yikes!

Hey Bettyford...I made it back. It ran fine except for the AC. Never heard the sound again. Thanks for all your help Ron. I'll buy lunch next time around.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote