Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2012, 07:41 PM   #31

Re: front of bell housing oil.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl
Crawling around this morning I notice slight amount of oil around front of bell housing. Looks like most is coming from higher up on drivers side. 2010 6.0 PSD.

Any thoughts on this as it seems some have had the issue fixed, others leaving it alone?

What I don't want is to later wish I did something. For now it seems very little, truck only has 11,000 on it.

thoughts?
If it's coming from up high it's not a bedplate leak, I'd pull off the dog house and take a look.

SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #32

Re: Bed Plate Leak

I've read and re-read this thread so many times, trying to decide what to do about my oil leak. I've got a perpetual drop hanging off the bell housing, but it never seems to hit the ground. A while back I asked Larry Miller Ford here in SLC to have a look at it when I had them do an oil change and some other work. They said they couldn't find a leak, which in hindsight seems like an effective strategy since it made me not want them to ever touch my van again.

I've been reading a lot, trying to decide what to do. Erik Badger said in some post somewhere that he's got a small leak, and isn't going to worry about it...and I respect his opinion very much.

Evidently the correct method for diagnosis is to put some ultraviolet dye in the oil and then look at it with a black light in a couple hundred miles to see where the leak is coming from. The dealer should do this. There are a couple sensors that can leak, which are a lot less work to repair (engine doesn't have to come out).

I think my plan is to deal with it when I move back home to Alaska in 10 months, and see if the dealers there are more receptive. The idea of someone removing my engine scares me, I haven't found a good dealer I can trust yet. I've got quite a bit of warranty left, so hopefully it's not critical to fix it now.

I'm keen to see what others think about this
Old 01-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #33
Site Team

I don't think minor seepage (no drips on the ground) is much to worry about, but if your van in under warranty, I would take it in and document your concerns, in case it becomes a problem in the future. Document the problem now, and a possible future warranty claim might be easier to justify.

Herb
Old 01-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #34
Site Team

Garage

I'd want to know where the oil is coming from. I felt better when I bought the extended warrantee and the leak was the main reason for the purchase. If the leak stays minimal, wait until the last year or two before going after it. My bed plate gasket became worse over time, so I had to do something. Unfortunately I picked the wrong dealership, but they did finally get it fixed just before going out of business. At least I still have a dealership W/I 100 miles who's good with SMB conversions.

I don't recall if I mentioned this yet, but during the work, the dealership left it outside and it was vandalized. Not all dealerships will cover this, so ask. I got burned and my insurance had to pay for the damage and stolen equipment.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:24 PM   #35

I notice very slight under the rubber inspection gromet front of bell housing. Wiped dry and drove 50 miles and not enough to drip. Just makes me want it fixed. Does the extended warranty cover this bed plate issue? If this is the cause?

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #36

Bed Plate Leak.....two places..Espar H20 Heater quit heating... thought it was stopping up with EGR cooler stuff. Had it checked out today. Mech says no. Coolant within specs. 44k miles. With all the problems I just read about, Question is...would you take it in now or wait..Leak is just seepage, two spots.. Seems most of you have had more problems with Techs not doing there job right... nightmares...parking outside.. not taking care of your vans. Unbelivable. How can techs keep a job with such carelessness. If I thought like that, My Daddy would beat my tail.. Guess I'm from REAL Old school... I'm going to purchase the Extended Warranty in mid march to be sure I'm covered. 07, 6.0 diesel
Old 02-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #37

I've had a smear or drop of oil on the bell housing for the past 68,000 miles.

It almost never falls onto the ground. I've found maybe 2-3 drops in 5+ years. This seems to be normal with the 6.0.

Not saying this is ideal....just very common.

Until and unless it gets worse, I am not going to worry.

R
Old 02-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #38

Ditto, since the first week of ownership !
Greggd
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #39

when you have a few drops that don't hit the ground, @ 44K miles, warranty runs out next month, I am thinking you feel its best to leave it alone......weighing all the other problems that come with sloppy techs. What is the deductiable on the Ford Extended warranty, 5 yrs, 100k miles. Maybe I will leave it alone and tackle it later... Any thoughts?
Old 02-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #40

While it is less than ideal having any leak in any amount, it is also a risk having someone take out your engine. Seems like the ideal thing is to document the issue at the dealer, and if slight, do nothing. Does the extended warranty cover this bed plate leak, if in fact that's the problem?

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote