Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2010, 07:29 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon
Bed Plate Leak

2008 Van, 28,000 miles, Bed Plate Leak, TWO weeks in the shop! (minimum) NUTZ!!!!!

I just can't wait to see how many other things they can screw up while "fixing" this problem.

Bill

Old 09-20-2010, 09:18 PM   #2

Re: Bed Plate Leak

Two weeks is about right. My 06 was in 15 days for the bed plate leak repair. Many non- Ford items did not work when I picked up the van. They said it must have been in that condition when I delivered the van at the dealer. (not so)
It took one Sunday afternoon to reconnect all the disconnected wires.
High idle switch, compressor, backup camera, rear lights and 4X4 indicator light. The turbo down spout now rubs on the doghouse. (Badger was kind enough to provide instructions on how to make that particular repair).

Every day I would check in they make it a point of telling me how difficult the repair was due to the SMB conversion elements being in the way of a timely repair. The written work description was very detailed in every step of the way. Looked to me like they were building a case for additional payment. My cost ended up being $100.

Good luck, I hope your repair adventure is not as exciting as our experience.

11 RB150 MB Sprinter w/pop top
Burklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:05 AM   #3

Thanks Ralph.
Bill
Old 09-21-2010, 11:11 AM   #4

Mine took about 10 days to fix. I had zero problems with them even mentioning the SMB conversions. All the work was covered under warranty (zero out of pocket). After the work was done, I got the van home and found new oil drippings from the same area. I was pretty bummed by that as I figured they never fixed the problem and I was going to need to go through the entire process again. I brought the van back to them and they agreed the problem was still there. However, after another day of the van in the shop, they realized it was just residual oil dripping out that they failed to clean up properly.

I had the work done over a year ago. No problems since then, so I'm a happy camper.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:32 PM   #5

I hope I'm one too... (a happy camper)
Bill
Old 09-21-2010, 07:02 PM   #6

I've had mine done twice now. It's good to pull the engine out every now and then, right?

Ever since the last "fix" I have had a very small amount of oil leaking around the remote oil filter adapter. Thought they had it fixed, but not. It isn't enough to even drip, so I just keep my eye on it.

Neither shop gave me a hard time about the SMB conversion other than it required them to pull the engine out the front of the van instead of lifting the body off as they do with Excursions and non-conversion vans.

Good luck!

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:46 AM   #7

It would be interesting to know how it all worked out as several of us are just putting up with minor leaks, as opposed to having the engine pulled and all the potential head aches that go along with that.

It would be cool to know the Ford shops that actually get this done right, as it would be worth it to go with the shops that have experience doing this.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:50 AM   #8

Never fear; I have a feeling you're going to hear a lot more from me on this subject than you bargained for...
Bill
Old 09-23-2010, 07:07 PM   #9

Went and checked this AM. Engine is out on engine stand with pan off. Oil and fluids everywhere. Waiting for parts. (?)
More later-
Bill
Old 09-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage

Mine took about 2 weeks. Got it back and a heater hose popped off requiring a tow Ford said it wasn't their fault They also didn't adjust my headlights, took all my freon out of the AC and said it must have leaked out (it didn't), cut off my aluminess bumper instead of un-bolting it (had to get new bumper brackets from Aluminess), then they left the bumper out where a pest control guy sprayed it down with something that makes it turn green. Finally was able to take my trip to Yellowstone and the van seemed to run fine but when I got back I had more oil leaking than when the bed plate gasket was leaking. Took it back in early July where the idiots left it outside and was broke into and trashed. SMB picked it up a few weeks back and barely was able to drive it back to Ford. Yes that was July this crap started and it was sent to SMB this week (I think!) to have the destruction repaired. Not having a van for almost 3 months....well isn't life just wonderful. At least I still own a van I think.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote