Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2017, 03:36 PM   #11
GAR

Some more info for ya:

Go drive one of each in the same day.

I test drove a new Transit. I then test drove a new Express. The Transit was noticeably noisier inside, and did not drive as smoothly as the Express. I then laid down width wise in the Express, and then the Transit (just forward of the wheel wells). I fit widthwise in the Express, but not in the Transit.

I then joined a Transit forum and checked out all the complaints. After all the research, It was an easy choice for me. I chose the Express because of reliability, quiet ride, room to stretch out sidewise (which is how I built my bed), power, and towing capacity and l last and least, over all looks. The Express is just a far better looking rig.

With that said, I also checked out the Ford cutaway that Sportsmobile West is building. I really liked that rig! They are using the old style Ford van cab, and building their own fiberglass body. Its really well engineered from what I could see. If it were not for the long wait and over priced mark up, I would not have hesitated to purchase the Ford from Sportsmobile West. You just can't beat the Atlas II Transfer case, and Dynatrac axles they use. Their 4x4 system is in a class by itself in my opinion.

Gar

GAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:13 PM   #12

I like GAR have an Express and have a very good friend who has an AWD Express. I’ve owned an E350 with 6.0 and have driven the Transit a few times albeit with only the 3.7 v6. I love my Express and wouldn’t trade it for anything. It has the best combination of pulling, hauling, and ride of any of these. The transit drives great, the E350 is tough as nails, but the Express does them all well. I’ve carried over 2000 lbs, towed nearly 10,000 and done some 1000 mile days in my Express (I’ve done this in the E350 too)and I love it. If youre going to favor lighter weight drive ability then the Transit is great. If you favor after market support and toughness then the Ford is great. But if you can find an Express or Savanna with the right miles and condition then give it serious consideration.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bestvan, bestvanforbuildout, vanbuild, vanbuildout