Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2011, 11:54 AM   #31
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL
Re: BEST REAR DIFFERENTIAL FOR 4x2 OR 4x4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie
TrueTrac vs. PowerTrax No Slip.Opinions? Is the PowerTrax really less noisy on the street? Do either one of these lockers send 100% of the power to both wheels when activated or are they just an enhanced version of a limited slip whereby it sends all the vehicle power to the wheel with the most traction? I know it's been discussed over and over, but I am still trying to get an understanding of the safety of a rear locker if it kicks on at high rates of speed.

I have learned much from this thread...

Louie
I have PowerTrax on the back of my Landcruiser and in the front for the Van. It's supposed to make a click sound when you start your turn.. I rarely even hear the back one or the front. Once in a while I'll notice it but bearly.

The PowerTrax on the front on the van isn't "on" all the time, and only engaged when I'm in 4x4 and hubs locked. I only use it when I'm offroad, usually when climbing a hilly offroad terrain as it pulls me up versus only having back wheels push me up a offroad hill.

I'm pretty sure the PowerTrax gives power to the wheel with most traction.

I opted to get the powertrax for the van in the front because it was way cheaper then air lockers and it was proven on the landcruiser for 10 years.

Zero Issues for me, in mud, rain, snow, it just works.
For Ice.. not sure, probably the same situation for all types of lockers when your evaluating how well it does on ice.

ps. I would never put powertrax in the front if I didn't have a way to turn it off once I get on the highway.. for the back, it's "on" all the time providing power, automatic, it's awesome and does the job both offroad and highway.

Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:25 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRL
I have PowerTrax on the back of my Landcruiser and in the front for the Van. It's supposed to make a click sound when you start your turn.. I rarely even hear the back one or the front. Once in a while I'll notice it but bearly.
Hmm, See my post just below. Isn't there a difference between PowerTrax "Traction System" and PowerTrax "Lock-Right"? If I have have it all wrong, please, as someone with PowerTrax on your vehicles, correct my bobo's!!!
Electrical: 4 cf fridge, nuker, water heater, compressor
Propane: stove top, furnace Travel: https://www.lugnutlife.wordpress.com
coyotearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:28 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotearms
Isn't there a difference between PowerTrax "Traction System" and PowerTrax "Lock-Right"? If I have have it all wrong, please, as someone with PowerTrax on your vehicles, correct my bobo's!!!
Gauging from Internet photos, yes. The "Lock-Right" is a basic locker. The "Traction System" I'm not sure...

Edit:
Quote:
What is the difference between the Powertrax Traction System and the Lock-Right Locker?
While both products offer maximum traction, full wheel differentiation, and easy installation, each product has features and benefits that meet the needs of different customers. The Powertrax® Traction System uses SynTRAC technology and is the latest design in traction adding differentials. It provides the maximum traction of a locking differential combined with the smooth and quiet operation of a limited-slip device. The Lock-Right Locker is our original product line that offers extreme value in a traction-adding differential. The Lock-Right provides maximum traction, but a light clicking noise can be heard when turning as the Lock-Right gears allow for wheel differentiation. On some vehicles the engine noise will overcome the clicking noise. For additional details on the Powertrax® Traction System and the Lock-Right Locker, please see their corresponding web page.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #34
NRL

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRL
Hmm, See my post just below. Isn't there a difference between PowerTrax "Traction System" and PowerTrax "Lock-Right"? If I have have it all wrong, please, as someone with PowerTrax on your vehicles, correct my bobo's!!!
I have both. I have the PowerTrax No-Slip for the rear on the Fj80 and the PowerTrax "Lock-Right" in the front on the van. When I was shopping for a PowerTrax they didn't have the "noslip" for an E350 Dana60..
I do know they are alot quieter then the Detroit Locker which is probably makes the loudest clicking sound..
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
Old 05-05-2011, 02:45 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRL
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRL
I have both. I have the PowerTrax No-Slip for the rear on the Fj80 and the PowerTrax "Lock-Right" in the front on the van. When I was shopping for a PowerTrax they didn't have the "noslip" for an E350 Dana60..
I do know they are alot quieter then the Detroit Locker which is probably makes the loudest clicking sound..
Yikes! There are three PowerTrax? Traction System, Lock-Right AND No-Slip??? Again, as the owner of two of these, what's the deal?
Old 05-05-2011, 03:07 PM   #36
NRL

Not sure about a third version.
I think the No-Slip is for non-heavy duty vehicles. I recall looking up Powertrax for Dana60s and there was no mention of the no-slip. I think they all work the same concept-wise. No-Slip being the quietest,smoothest and then the click's get slightly louder for Lock-Right, and then loudest for Detroit Lockers.

Originally I was going to get the Detroit but picked the Powertrax once I found out they made one for the front..

here is some more info on it:
http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/ ... 48206.html

http://www.richmondgear.com/powertrax/faq.htm

http://www.richmondgear.com/powertrax/tractioninfo.html
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
Old 05-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #37

I was just checking out richmondgears' website and apparently there are actually three powertrax systems: 2 no slip traction traction systems - open case and limited slip. And then the lock right open case. Trying to comprehend the difference between the two no slip traction systems. The good news for me is all three have my dodge van 3500 van axle as compatible so I may have finally found my locker!
Always looking...4x4 Van 19ft or shorter. Sleeps 4 - two together, two separately; 4 forward facing seats with shoulder seatbelts, interior shower, water heater, 110 power, sink, aux. heat, aux air conditioner, aux. battery, generator - all at a price a school teacher could afford...help me Obi-Wan Kenobi you're my only hope.
louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #38

BEST REAR DIFFERENTIAL FOR 4x2 OR 4x4?

Right on Louie. They offer a model that drops right in and uses your open diff. Looks like the most cost effective solution for you. Cool video of that old F100 as well!
Old 05-05-2011, 11:34 PM   #39

Quote:
I am not sure what jage actually has on his rig
Limited Slip:

Old 05-06-2011, 06:30 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie
I was just checking out richmondgears' website and apparently there are actually three powertrax systems: 2 no slip traction traction systems - open case and limited slip. And then the lock right open case. Trying to comprehend the difference between the two no slip traction systems. The good news for me is all three have my dodge van 3500 van axle as compatible so I may have finally found my locker!
Given all this good stuff, figuring out what all these trade names mean, and sorting out between which are auto lockers and which are gear based limited slips, I am steering even more toward the Eaton's Detroit Truetrac. I did a little more research on the Truetrac. I found two helpful sites. So check this out before deciding on an auto locker:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/TrueTrac.shtml
http://homepage.mac.com/jgreening/je...rsonal156.html
http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsS...als/PCT_221471 (The Ower's Manual)

There are no firm specs in the Owner's Manual, but it appears the transfer ratio is significantly better that a standard LSD (with clutches) and in the range of 2.5:1 to 3.5:1. This should mean up to 71% to 88% of the available torque to the wheel that can pull. And lots of talk about good road manners. It should be good for just about any condition except rock crawling, but doable too if you have automatic transmission, which makes brake application to get it to dump torque to the wheel not in the air. So I am a go with this gear-based limited slip approach. And if I escalate to 4x4, it should be fine back there as is. Now it is just about saving some coin. I called up Randy's Ring and Pinion and found out there are no issues with sticking it into my LSD diff, which would not be the case, for example with the Lock-Right.