Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2010, 08:15 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to bettyford
Bilstein shocks 5125

Looking for some advise.
Anyone have these? It looks like alot of you run the 7100. I think that might be a more than I need. I'm not going to have the weight that alot of you have with the full SMB experience . water tanks and storage. Just a bed and 1 cabinet. the poptop doesn't weight much and its a gas motor. It will also be my every day driver. so 85% street 15% snow & forest roads Its a e-250 sporty with a Quigley 4x4.
Thanks

Ron

Old 02-16-2010, 05:35 PM   #2

Re: Bilstein shocks 5125

I have Bilstein 5100 series shocks on the front my van. Much better than the Rancho adjustables that it had. Never could find a setting that I liked on that shock.

If one died, I replace it with the same shock.

The front shock is BE5-6243-H5
The rear shock is still the Rancho because Bilstein told me they would have to to a custom revalve on the rears. Nothing off the shelf would work. Possibly because of the 4" lift with the 4wd conversion.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:47 PM   #3

I have the 5100 up front and the standard E3/450 RV rears. Work very well, I am impressed with them.
Front: BE5-6243-H5 valving: 400/100 - 5100 series
Rear : BE5-E074-HO valving: 440/85 - rv/motorhome

The RV front that match the rear will also work, but after talking to Bilstein it sounded like the 5100 was a better option. BE5-E073-H0 part# for the RV front.

Quigley recommend these Bilstein part#'s Front B461720, Rear B461614, best I could work out were these are the same as the RV part# listed above.

BTW, the 7100 won't work on the Quigley without modification since Quigley keep the Ford mounting, eye bottom and rod top, the 7100 is eye both ends.

This is for a 2006 quigley E350 diesel.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:29 AM   #4

Thanks for the info guys its sounding like the 5100 is the way to go. I'm going to raise the front about 2in to level it but i am waiting for the Alumaness front Bumper to be delivered this week, not sure how heavy the home fab rear bumper will be yet. A lot I'm sure.

Ron
Old 02-17-2010, 07:59 AM   #5
Site Team

Ron,

I'd recommend getting the van weighed (full fuel tank) with a split weight between front and rear. Then call up a suspension specialty company, or a spring specialty company (e.g. Deaver), tell them what you have, what you're looking for. what kind of driving you will be doing, and ask them what they'd recommend. Personally, I would then buy from whomever you call if they provide good advice. You will probably be able to find the shocks somewhat cheaper from internet sources, but about the only support you can expect from most internet-houses is a package tracking number.

Just because a particular shock/valving combination worked for somebody else, isn't much of an indicator if it will work for your van and driving expectations.

Herb
Old 02-17-2010, 05:40 PM   #6

Good advice thanks Herb.

Ron