Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2010, 05:48 PM   #11

Re: Black Smoke....Fault Codes?

No guarantee that the EGR valve is your problem but here is the thread with the EGR related topic.
The symptoms sound like it though. You can easily clean the EGR valve despite what Ford says. Just make sure you buy the new $12 o rings from Ford.

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4388

saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:20 AM   #12
Site Team

Garage

Saline, I can't see the pictures in the link. Are they in your gallery?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Saline, I can't see the pictures in the link. Are they in your gallery?
I looked in my gallery but I must have deleted them or something because they aren't there.

Weird.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #14

The EGR valve is easy enough to do in the field. There's an intake elbow that has to come out, and then it's pretty reachable if you pull one radiator hose out of the way (you don't have to drain coolant or disconnect the hose, just stretch it a bit). The only other hurdle is pulling the old valve out if it's really stuck.

The bulletproof setups are for EGR coolers, not really for the valves. If your EGR valve is wet when you pull it out, the cooler is probably bad. I've heard from several places (including Ford) that if you jack up the back end of the van while the EGR valve is out, coolant will run into the EGR's well if the cooler is leaky. A leaky cooler should produce white smoke, not black. This one is a big job to change.

I had a black smoke problem that went away once I changed the EGR valve. I've heard that it can also be the turbo if you're getting black smoke.
RiverGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:31 PM   #15

Location: Rolling Hills, Mammoth Mountain, Coeur d Alene Idaho

I have a 6.0 in my SportsMobile which so far has not had a problem. However I had the distasteful experience of buying a first year 2003 F250 with 6.0 and it had to be towed in 3 times in the first 27000 miles. Once was the turbo and it's symptoms were clouds of black smoke and barely enough power to move the van and boat I was towing. We had 90000 trouble free miles then misfortune struck again recently it went in for the EGR service and shortly thereafter coincidentally it lost the turbo and had the same symptoms as before. The shop a large commercial truck dealer that you would hope to know it's stuff went through 3 turbos before they found one that held together.
When I got it back I tried to sell it for a few weeks then donated to the Make-A-Wish Foundation and hopefully it well help pay for a very sick child to fulfill a wish as that is what happened with my son a few years back and it was fantastic.
I'm really keeping my fingers crossed with the E350 and am religiously changing the oil regardless when the warranties up she's out of here!
Old 08-05-2010, 05:32 PM   #16

Finally heard from the shop. EGR Cooler needs replacing. While its covered under warranty, it still sucks. I guess I'm just going to ride the tiger and keep praying it doesn't happen in a bad place.
DUKCSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKCSUN
Finally heard from the shop. EGR Cooler needs replacing. While its covered under warranty, it still sucks. I guess I'm just going to ride the tiger and keep praying it doesn't happen in a bad place.
If you mean you are going to keep driving it, DON'T!

That's a very bad idea. It is possible for the cooler to go out and destroy the engine. Water can get into the cylinders and cause a hydrolock, and that can bend rods, break the block, lift and destroy heads. And since a dealer told you the EGR cooler needs to be replaced, they may not cover damage caused by not replacing it.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:18 PM   #18

Mike, its in the shop right now getting fixed (they just now told me what it was). My thinking is that this is bound to happen again and I just hope it doesn't happen somewhere I can't get it fixed (which is where I spend most of my time in it). I didn't travel more than 10 miles when it went out (thankfully)
Old 08-05-2010, 08:44 PM   #19

They are replacing the oil cooler also aren't they? 99% of the time it is a faulty oil cooler that takes out the EGR cooler.
To help prevent this problem in the future you should install a coolant filter You can get them at www.thedieselsite.com , they are inexpensive and easy to install and don't affect warranty.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:11 PM   #20

Guys,

Looking for a little help here. The dealer is now saying that because the suspension has been "modified" it is taking 10 times longer to change/replace the EGR Cooler. Something about the spring shackles being moved forward and not allowing them to pull the value covers.

Since the van is not sitting in my driveway (rather, its been sitting at the dealer for a week and a half) I can't quite picture how this could effect anything.

Furthermore, I KNOW that several of the 6.0 owners have had this same problem (EGR Cooler replace) and I'm wondering if they heard similar grumblings. Christ, I had the HPOP replaced in a DAY so I can't quite figure out how this is more taxing.

My suspicion is that they hadn't even worked on it the whole time they have been saying "Oh yeah, we're working on it..." but wanted to see if anybody has real experience with this.

Anybody out there have experience?