Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2020, 05:09 AM   #61
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futrmbl View Post
JWA,
I would greatly appreciate your supplier information? Might be a dumb question, is your van 4X4?
Joe Futrmbl
Hey Joe---where ya goin' with that (impact) gun in your hand?

My van is an '03 E250 EB with standard 2WD.

Joe its been just about 7 years since I did this swap so most of the non-dealer suppliers I used (through eBay) have mostly disappeared. Since that original swap I've not kept up with other eBay sellers who might have the same OEM new/take off items up for sale.

I'm not sure how many newer E-Series (cab chassis only from '14 on) are being converted to 4X4 so can't speak to the availability of new/take off front end parts.

In my list of parts used most came from the dealer. Apart from the brake pads, rotors and caliper brackets which were the eBay take off parts found through eBay.

Sorry I don't have a better direction to point you---being lazy and not have a budget to worry about I head to the dealer most times.

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:20 AM   #62

I have a complete set of 2013 twin I-beam assemblies with full brake assemblies for $400 if anyone is interested. This van was driven from the dealer to a 4x4 conversion shop (all interstate). Been stored inside, virtually like brand new. It's my understanding all you need is the newer style brake lines to complete this upgrade to a better front end.

They are kind of heavy so I have no idea what shipping would be.

Just a thought.
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:08 PM   #63

What exactly does the i-beam assembly include? Ball joints? Upper/lower control arms? Forgive my naivety... still learning all of the mechanical nomenclature and what is what with this stuff...

You think that it would be a drop-in for a 2003 e250 van (minus the brake lines)? And you're located in Denver? That sounds like a great price, based on what it looks to cost sourcing everything separately. Wonder how much shipping would end up being to seattle...
nyyankees588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:51 PM   #64

It's everything, you would unbolt your I-beam pivot bolts, remove the coil springs, pop off the tie rods, remove the brake lines, remove the lower shock bolts, remove the rear trailing arm bolts. Install the new assembles in the reverse order. Install the new brake lines and bleed the brakes. You also have to splice one side of your antilock brake wire. Ford uses the same connectors but flipped them around. Most people just cut their wire after the connection and splice it to the new wire. The new style trailing arms are included but you would have to get the new style rear mounting brackets off of a junk yard find, 3 bolts for each bracket, makes for a better ride and longer lasting design.

The complete brake assemblies are included and virtually brand new. I do not have the new style sway bar parts

Take the van in for alignment and you should be good for a long time. Bigger brakes and smoother riding front end due to the better updated bushings.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:51 PM   #65
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts2 View Post
I have a complete set of 2013 twin I-beam assemblies with full brake assemblies for $400 if anyone is interested. It's my understanding all you need is the newer style brake lines to complete this upgrade to a better front end.

They are kind of heavy so I have no idea what shipping would be.
This ^^^ would be the way to go!

The new style brake lines should be OEM, not cheap but due their importance well worth the cost.

You'd have to crate or palletize these assemblies and have them trucked--traditional shipping wouldn't apply as they probably each weigh over 140 pounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyankees588 View Post
What exactly does the i-beam assembly include? Ball joints? Upper/lower control arms? Forgive my naivety... still learning all of the mechanical nomenclature and what is what with this stuff...

You think that it would be a drop-in for a 2003 e250 van (minus the brake lines)? And you're located in Denver? That sounds like a great price, based on what it looks to cost sourcing everything separately. Wonder how much shipping would end up being to seattle...
These assemblies would include the two I-beams and radius arm with everything attached; rotors, calipers, caliper brackets, brake pads and perhaps shocks too. The '08 and later front sway bars are different so you'd need that part along with its frame mounting brackets and bolts.

From Denver to Seattle shipping shouldn't be too outrageous, maybe approaching $400? That cost totally dependent on weight and distance, would pay to shop around if you go this route. If you have a friend with a commercial dock they could be received cost might be reduced---if they have to be delivered to your home a lift gate might be necessary adding to the shipping cost to your area.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:02 PM   #66

QuadVan in Portland still has a crate of new 2WD takeoff axles. I'm not sure what he's selling them for now, but at least you can pick them up yourself. Shipping is the worst thing about trying to source a full axle setup. They still have non-dually setups even, since they do so many VanTerra bus conversions.

And yes, a full axle swap is definitely the way to go, because besides new ball joints, you get the batter radius-arm design.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:18 PM   #67

Here's half of what your looking for.
New tie rod & steering, new springs E250 ( if you want them).
Attached Thumbnails
20200407_131034.jpg   20200407_131610.jpg  
Old 04-07-2020, 08:27 PM   #68

Collecting parts

Unfortunately, I must pass, my van has the baja grocery getter kit, extended radius arm and the whole guacamole...

And I managed to get the calipers loaded with pads and the mount bracket brand new for 160 each!, for all of you that are looking out there just keep an eye on eBay. They come and go quick!
Example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-Motorc...72.m2749.l2649
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-Motorc...72.m2749.l2649

Now Im on a quest to source the rotors. This one seller on eBay ensures me they have the same PN and they're interchangeable, I thought they're not. Maybe someone can shed some light here, I've found:
BC2Z-1102-A left rotor
BC2Z-1102-B right rotor

Are they really interchangeable?

Also for what I understood, I'll need to upgrade this lines also right?
1 8C2Z-2078-BR Rt Flexible Hose, OEM
1 8C2Z-2078-BL Lt Flexible Hose, OEM
lashidalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:59 AM   #69
JWA

The rotors are either left or right---unlike the calipers they're not left or right side specific. When I ordered mine they simply sent me two parts, no mention of which side they supposedly fit.

Looking at the RockAuto online catalog they too make no mention of a left-right side, just one part fitting the front. I don't know where the part numbers you show ending in "B" came from, the Ford OEM number is BC2Z1102A, Motorcraft replacement: BRRF114 or BRRF7/

Brake hoses are highly recommended because they fit "lower" on the caliper than stock pre-2008 versions requiring a longer hose for proper fit.

HTH
Old 04-09-2020, 09:32 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
QuadVan in Portland still has a crate of new 2WD takeoff axles. I'm not sure what he's selling them for now, but at least you can pick them up yourself. Shipping is the worst thing about trying to source a full axle setup. They still have non-dually setups even, since they do so many VanTerra bus conversions.

And yes, a full axle swap is definitely the way to go, because besides new ball joints, you get the batter radius-arm design.
Awesome info everybody - thank you. That front-end take off would be exactly what I'm looking for. Even if shipping came out to $400, $800 total is way cheaper than what I've been quoted to replace my ball joints & brakes. I have an email out to quadvan and will try to give them a call this week. If their pricing is similar, a trip down there vs. shipping would probably be the way to go...

Lilnuts - i'll check back in and let you know once I have any sort of update. Thanks for taking the time to respond and share the photos.
nyyankees588 is offline   Reply With Quote