Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2020, 07:26 PM   #21

Garage
CrazyG,
Oddly enough, I received two "Mailer demon" messages after I replied to your PM - did it come across ?

Old 03-17-2020, 08:38 PM   #22

I got them! Thank you! Don't know why you would have gotten the mailer demon messages!
CrazyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 04:48 AM   #23
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyG View Post
I am still considering my options as I see them. With this pandemic and the associated financial situations of both me and my parents who may need some financial help from me to close on a new house in a month, I have not ruled out selling the vehicle as is. But I am still leaning on repairing.

As always, I am happy to listen to any advice or thoughts that anyone might have. I will also continue to update as my decisions evolve.
Given the panic we're currently experiencing if you have the luxury of time to wait a few months maximum before making a decision whether to sell as is or repair that might yield more choices? Perhaps send that time mulling over the choices already available and possibly ones not yet known?

In the shorter term it sounds as though the best shop choice would be the Tip Top outfit mentioned and let them diagnose the existing issues and offer their best assessment. Confidence in them seems to run high which is good for peace of mind.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:33 AM   #24
Site Team

Garage
If the motor is toast put an injector in and check the turbo and pipes for parts then run it.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:29 PM   #25

Send a message via MSN to bettyford
He Guys
I got ahold of Greg today and we had a great conversation about his Van and issues.
I Believe we have a plan but I will let him give details once he decides,

Hope you all well and safe in these crazy times.

Ron
Old 04-06-2020, 08:07 PM   #26
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Following the advice of the forum, I reached out to Ron (bettyford) via PM to ask for mechanic recommendations and towing/shipping options and am waiting to hear back.
I second everyone's comments about Ron. I see by his post that you've talked so hopefully that is a good beginning for you.

Quote:
. . . there are no mechanics near me in Santa Fe, NM who I trust with this job either.
Re Santa Fe, I know nothing about diesels but I have worked with Ari Gordon at MasterTech for some years and find him trustworthy. I know he works on the ski area's vehicles and I assume that includes their diesels. Stay away from Hal Burns, IMO, even though they bill themselves as a diesel shop. Overpriced & don't stand by their quotes.

My $.02

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 01:23 PM   #27

Thanks again for everyone that has offered their advice, and thanks to Ron for reaching out to me and being generous with his time and providing a lot of good advice of his own. Here's an update of where I'm at with this issue:

I decided to have the vehicle towed to Tip Top Transmission in Salt Lake City. It made it there last Saturday. Accordingly, I've decided to repair rather than sell as is. Now my options for the engine replacement seem to be:
1) Used 6.0L (~$10k)
2) Ford Reman 6.0L (~$20k)
3) Jasper Reman 6.0L (~$20k)

The used engine option would be a wild card, but is a big difference financially for me in the short term. I'm leaning on the reman options that each come with 2 year warranties. The warranties are not identical and I still need to do some research to figure out which is better for me, but I think I'm leaning on Jasper based on information from Tip Top Transmission. I also need to decide on various "bullet proofing" options when installing the replacement engine.

As long as the van is in the shop, and if I decide this is going to be my long term rig, I'm also thinking of spending even more money by adding a diesel furnace (Espar or Chinese or something in between), inverter and solar wiring. I have not yet done enough research into these items to know what models I should be looking at, but will start scouring other forum threads for information.

If anyone has any further advice on any of the above, that is very much appreciated, as always.

Thanks,
Greg
CrazyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 02:42 PM   #28

Garage
Also check out Kill Devil Diesel or Asheville for rebuilt 6.0 engines.
https://killdevildiesel.com/collecti...oke-long-block
https://ashevilleengine.com/product/6-0-powerstroke/
Old 05-01-2020, 02:44 PM   #29

Check the core-return requirements for Jasper. You have coolant coming from somewhere. If the self-destruction managed to damage the block, they might not give you a core credit. Ford doesn't care. They can just use a new block when they run out of good cores.

I wouldn't gamble with a used one, unless you can see the wrecked donor, that way you can make sure a blown motor isn't the reason it was scrapped. And make sure it was an actual collision too. Accidental fire or rolling into a lake, would be good ways to "fix" a blown motor....
Old 05-01-2020, 02:46 PM   #30

Garage
ShuttlePilot has a "sticky" under the Forums "Engines and Drivetrain" section that's very comprehensive for bullet proofing:
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ing-25269.html

Couple other things to consider if your going to keep the Van long term,; since you have the engine out you should consider replacing hoses, belts, tensioner, Aluminum radiator, and because of the age you may also think about the brake system, steering gear box....its only Money right??? But its considerably less expensive while the engine is out to get a lot of this addressed (I only paid for the cost of many of the extra parts since the Engine cost already covered installation on much of it).