Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2019, 10:23 AM   #1

Broken adventure

Its been a week since I bought my van and this weekend I took it out on its first shake down trip. I built a quick bed frame, grabbed a mattress and loaded up the camping gear. We had a great time... intial the van shut down on us. I have a 2013 e350 5.4 with 52,000 miles on it. I bought what I had hoped would be a reliable low mileage van. First as we were driving down a dirt road the van just died. No warning lights, no check engin nothing. She fired right back up but would only go about 50' then die again. I decide my best course of action was to have lunch and let it sit for a minute. After about 20 min I tried it again and she started and ran fine. We decided it was best to head for home at that point. Back on the highway coming out of the mountains about an hr later I get the wrench and CEL and she loses power and dies. It was a long trip limping it home. I had to throw it in neutral and restart it while rolling quite a few times. We got home and it's got black smoke out of the pipe and dies at idle. I pulled the codes and it's got a P061b and a rich fuel in 1st bank code. I dropped it off at the dealer this morning to see what they can do. The kicker is that the dealer I bought it from last week gave me a 30 day warranty but they are 3hrs away. On one hand I happy this happened now while its u der there warranty, but on the other I'm not happy it happened at all. Fingers crossed it's sensor or something simple. Sorry for the lengthy post, heres a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
20190803_152358.jpg   20190803_152346.jpg  

dadvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:40 AM   #2

Garage
Sorry to hear about your trip.

Doesn't sound too bad. These things can happen to anyone and even more after buying a used vehicle. You might try calling the dealer from which you purchased to see if they will reimburse you.

Wish you the best.

I was wondering if it would be a stick coil.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:46 AM   #3

I had an f150 with the 5.4 and I am familiar with the COPs going out. I used to carry an 11mm and spare with me. This didnt feel like a coil pack but it could be. Usually with a COP going out the code will tell you what cylinder is bad and its an easy fix. This felt diffrent to me but we'll see what the dealer says.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:47 AM   #4

I had the cat go out on my 2017 transit with 55k miles the week after I bought it certified pre owned from a dealer. So these things happen.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:06 AM   #5

Garage
Understand on the code and feel. Likely something different.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadvan View Post
I had an f150 with the 5.4 and I am familiar with the COPs going out. I used to carry an 11mm and spare with me. This didnt feel like a coil pack but it could be. Usually with a COP going out the code will tell you what cylinder is bad and its an easy fix. This felt diffrent to me but we'll see what the dealer says.
dying COPs won't always throw a code, fyi
bet on black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:54 PM   #7

AAA card with the 2hun mile tow in your wallet ?
regis101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:17 PM   #8

I need to jump on that AAA train soon. I was able to limp her into the dealer and it's under warranty. Still waiting to see what happened. I dont think a COP would cause it to completely die out of the blue. Also the oil gauge would drop to no pressure right before it would die. There was plenty of oil in it and it was running great before
Old 08-05-2019, 01:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadvan View Post
I need to jump on that AAA train soon. I was able to limp her into the dealer and it's under warranty. Still waiting to see what happened. I dont think a COP would cause it to completely die out of the blue. Also the oil gauge would drop to no pressure right before it would die. There was plenty of oil in it and it was running great before
Definitely get AAA, but make sure you add the RV upgrade. Once your van is built out, and too heavy to lift with a light-duty wrecker, the service provider has the right to decline service. RV+ or Premier makes sure that won't happen, and it also covers motorcycles, bicycles, and trailers as long as they are hauling recreational gear.

I agree this doesn't sound like the normal symptoms for a bad COP. The low oil pressure is simply a result of very low idle before it stalls. It'll need proper diagnostics for sure, but I'd suspect either a bad throttle body assembly or a fauly fuel pressure control module (low fuel pressure can cause it to run rich because the PCM will keep the injectors open longer to compensate, but it won't atomize with low pressure).
Old 08-05-2019, 03:21 PM   #10

Found it! The air filter housing wasnt put back on correctly and a part came loose this past weekend. It was blocking the MAF and cut off enough air flow to stall the engine. From the outside everything looked fine and I never thought to pull the air filter apart. We wernt in a particularly dusty area. Oh well at least it's fixed.