Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2021, 05:52 PM   #1
Site Team

Build-outs with 7.3L diesel power

I'm starting to contemplate a new direction in my exploration and camping rig setup, and I was wondering if people here with full, 7.3L van build-outs thought about the available power they have? I have a 7.3L Excursion so it has the intercooler, where the vans do not.

I would be using the rig in flat-land and mountains, sometimes towing fairly heavy, so the available power is important to me.

thanks in advance,
Herb

Old 12-28-2021, 06:35 PM   #2

We have a 1997 7.3L.
It is a heavy built, and not fast uphill.. Feels Underpowered. Not quite slow enough to make coffee while the vehicle climbs, but I do think of it at times!

This is what I read:
1.Horse power of the 7.3 did increase in later years, incrementally I believe. So, later years, 2003 as last, would have most hp.
2. Be careful with tuning, and be nice to the engine... Accept the engine for what it is, just go with what the engine likes.
3. I read that part of what makes the 7.3 engine have a long life span is because it is not engineered to be fast... So Temps stay relatively "low" . Similar to the old Toyota landcruiser diesels ("the mule" .. It has torque, but it is Slow... but Reliable). ...so be careful with tuning... May not want to do it.
Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 09:32 PM   #3

2002 7.3 EB 4Wd Agile w 3.73 gearing, 33's, Hydra tuner, pretty heavy build. All stock.

No issues w feeling I am missing anything. If I were towing 5k++ i would re gear to 4.10/4.56 depending on weight. Towing a 3k boat/trailer combo I do not really feel it at all.

Also, currently have a 2006 V10 2WD Fixed top SMB EB50 4.10's 245/75-16 full build. Drives nicely. I can certainly say I have affection for both rigs but lean to the 7.3 a bit more just because I like the diesel experience more.

REF spent a year and half towing a 8k lb trailer all over Alaska and western states w his 2003 7.3 RB50 snd 4.56's - he may be the best source of first hand info.
Old 12-29-2021, 12:29 PM   #4

Bronco, would this be a 4x4 van? Oversize tires? No matter if 4x4 or not with a loaded van,
gearing is important to get your power curve to align with your shift points.
My stone stock 2002 2wd 7.3 ext carried 1,800#s from Denver to so cal through the Mtns of CO & UT and never downshifted once with 3.73 gearing
A mild tune can really wake up a 7.3 If you do install a tune be sure to also add a egt & tranny temp gauge
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 05:50 PM   #5
Site Team

Thank you for all the feedback so far.

I'm considering both 7.3L powered service body vans as well as ambo's, either would have plus size tires and 4x4.

My biggest concern about the power comes from the fact that my 7.3L Excursion (which I've owned since 2012) with the intercooler makes about 250HP stock but I also have a tune with it that adds about 80HP, so I rarely lack for power. I have always run a pyrometer, boost gauge, and a transmission temp gauge with my 7.3L, though I haven't found much value in the boost gauge to be honest.

It's my understanding that the 7.3L in a van is about 215HP stock. If I can get some of that back with a quality, modest tune, it doesn't turn me off too much.

Herb
Old 12-30-2021, 09:15 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Thank you for all the feedback so far.

I'm considering both 7.3L powered service body vans as well as ambo's, either would have plus size tires and 4x4.

My biggest concern about the power comes from the fact that my 7.3L Excursion (which I've owned since 2012) with the intercooler makes about 250HP stock but I also have a tune with it that adds about 80HP, so I rarely lack for power. I have always run a pyrometer, boost gauge, and a transmission temp gauge with my 7.3L, though I haven't found much value in the boost gauge to be honest.

It's my understanding that the 7.3L in a van is about 215HP stock. If I can get some of that back with a quality, modest tune, it doesn't turn me off too much.

Herb
Hydra chip will definitely get you there. If you are interested, I keep these chips in stock. When your injectors get tired and need replaced, I keep in stock the Navistar HO injectors that went in the medium duty dump trucks that will give you a bit more power too.
corey@cncfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 05:34 AM   #7

Corey what size are those injectors?
Single or split shot?
Tuning for DPC-315. PPB2
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 06:03 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogasm View Post
Corey what size are those injectors?
Single or split shot?
Tuning for DPC-315. PPB2
They are 160/0 single shot.
corey@cncfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 06:24 PM   #9

Bronco, I have a 20, 40, 60 80 &100 DP tuner tunes in my van the only other mod is a diamond eye 4" exhaust.
The 20 hp tune makes an amazing difference with little to no added smoke and is my daily driver. I can pull most everything I need to with just that tune. All others add smoke, the 100hp tune is awesome, but it's a rolling coal tune that I rarely use. I will be changing to the PH tunes before summer. I do believe they are better then DP.

I drive with the egt gauge more then anything.
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 06:40 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts2 View Post
...I drive with the egt gauge more then anything.
I do the exact same thing with my Excursion.

Good info re: the tunes, thanks.

Herb
BroncoHauler is offline   Reply With Quote