Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2014, 05:48 PM   #11

Re: Bullet proof question

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Well that is good to know cause I really don't want a huge power increase. I just want the engine to be trouble free as possible. All I asked the shop was to install a good problem free turbo and that's what they said they put in.
So that turbo is gonna cause me issues Joe???
I'm no expert and only know what I've read on the diesel forums and/or from talking to Charlie at KCturbo. But it sounds like the powermax requires specific tuning to get it to function right. So, the PCM tune that your shop installed prior to installation of the turbo might need to get tweaked a bit, despite what they say. But Dave, you haven't specified exactly which turbo you got, only the vendor (ie., Elite Diesel). There are two powermax turbos: The stock Garrett replacement is:
GT3782VA ($875).

And the performance powermax is the GT3788VA which supports extra HP if desired (~$1200) It supposedly has a better turbine design for increased compressor flow. But the compressor wheel isn't highly regarded and most of the diesel guys that go with a powermax install a single- or dual-plane compressor wheel with it.

It might be advertised as a drop-in replacement but it really isn't. The GT3788VA, like similar offererings from Barder or KCturbo are considered a stage 1. That is, they have a larger compressor wheel over stock. All the vendors indicate it's a drop-in but then you'll find little caveats like this:
Important Note for All PowerMax Applications:
Quote:
The PowerMax Turbocharger wastegate is preset to equate the original factory boost setting. The PowerMax may need adjustment of the wastegate actuator to optimize the air flow for each engine depending upon the fuel flow modifications made. Boost pressure modifications should be done by trained personnel only. Do not exceed 40 PSI boost pressure.
https://fordpowerstrokedieselperformanc ... r-upgrade/

I hope this info isn't redundant and is helpful. The turbo options are confusing. Once you get into the stage 1.5, 2 and 3 realm you are talking bigger injectors and other performance upgrades.

JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:34 PM   #12

OK, in the interest of turbo knowledge I've been internet sleuthing.

It appears the Elite Diesel powermax-ssx turbo is either a re-badged Garret Powermax or is copied and modified. It has a 65mm compressor wheel. http://www.dieselpowermag.com/newproduc ... _products/

Most seem to suggest that the powermax requires additional tuning.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11654 ... turbo.html

There's some really geeky stuff in this thread:
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0l-p ... l-psd.html

Again, I hope this helps. Joe
Old 12-27-2014, 09:11 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage

Thanks Joe. I guess this is where they got it.

http://www.rudysdiesel.com/_e/Turbo_Upg ... _Turbo.htm

I don't know what changes were made or if the shop added upgrades to it, I just asked for a good turbo. I wasn't too happy with the price and don't know if it is different from what Garrett puts out.

The whole job was a bit over budget IMO. Anyway I'll be installing a better tune this month.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:43 PM   #14

I hate to say it but my gut suspicion is this turbo is overkill for your application. It's designed for studded trucks with over-sized injectors and huge HP. It's the equivalent of a stage 2 turbo.

Put another way, without extensive modifications from stock I don't see how you would get the performance gains that would warrant having paid $1000 over the typical price for the drop-in Garret Powermax. I mean, it's designed for up to 45 psi of boost pressure for pete's sake. Your van can't do that. Again, I'm just trying to be helpful and I have no real world experience.

It would be nice is someone else would chime in that knows something about turbos. If anything I would post a thread on powerstroke.org or one of the other 6.0 PSD forums.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:25 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage

Probably is, but they do a bunch of diesel work so I put trust in them. Hope I didn't make a mistake using that shop. The funny thing is I told them I wanted lower EGT's, and wasn't after big HP although they built it for to handle it. I'm seeing much lower EGT's but also quite a bit more HP. The boost isn't too high (max 30 from 0) but the 50HP tune is very noticeable, much more so than the 40 FICM tune alone. That's why I thought the FICM tune added to the SCT tune. The other thing I wanted was the engine to be able to handle heat on slow uphill crawls during hot weather. So far it has kept the water and oil temps down on steep grades in mild weather but I haven't had a chance to run it in 100+ temps. If the upgrade causes problems in hot weather I might have to back off a bit and make some changes. Maybe I should talk with another shop?

Old 12-28-2014, 02:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Maybe I should talk with another shop?
Well, I don't know but this tidbit from the product detail would also give me pause.
Quote:
This turbo has been used successfully with nitrous to produce high horsepower numbers this type of power is far past the units designed limits and can cut short the life of the turbo by over-speeding it. To help reduce this overspeeding take a look at our wastegated up-pipe.
Huh? I don't see what you are getting except potential problems. That turbo is designed for those looking to push the limits of their truck and get a lot more out of them over stock. I hate to put a bee in your bonnet but I would definitely talk to another shop. You're not getting anything for double your money than what you would have gotten from the stock turbo with a billet compressor wheel. IMO. That would also lower your EGTs and cost $1000 less. Stock would have been fine if your not looking for more power.

What do you mean by "I wasn't after extra HP, but they built it to handle it"? That could only mean headstuds. If that's the case then, put in 190 cc injectors and go for it

The van really shouldn't get tuned with stock head bolts for more than an economy tune (ie., 65 or 80rwhp); otherwise, you are going to stretch the stock bolts leading to head gasket failure.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:53 PM   #17

Saw this post today on Dieselstop which nicely explains the diff between FICM and PCM tunes. http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f21 ... lp-486473/

Quote:
FICM tuning is more gentle on the engine than PCM tuning because the FICM can't increase the fuel timing. That's how PCM tunes jump up the power like 175HP over stock. The downside is much higher cylinder pressure, and that can help makes the HGs go pop. Of course they will pop at some point anyway. But you're not doing them any favors with PCM tuning. The FICM tunes also improve throttle response a lot more than a PCM tune, which tends to just add power on the top end. The FICM tune can increase the turbo response and reduce lag. That's huge on these trucks.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:32 PM   #18
Site Team

Garage

Yeah Joe, I felt that when I had the new FICM installed a year ago. I also saw an increase in black smoke on heavy throttle off the line. But the tune now (SCT50) seems like twice or three times as much as what the FICM Atlas 40 provided. No black smoke at all and I surely didn't think I'd see a fuel mileage increase but it jumped up about 2 MPG on flat ground. Go figure. Ain't a mechanic.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:54 AM   #19

Greetings,

(I believe this is a better place than a new post topic)

There has been some time since I have posted here on SMB forum. I had 18 months of a good run with my camper. Now having turbo issues which I believe is due to the humid weather of the NW and vein rust. Since I am having my stock upgraded with billet inners, along with pipe upgrades, I am considering pulling the motor for the head studs and finish the final phase of bullet proofing the van since it is only an extra $3000.

I have a 2010 6.0 PSD. 26K miles. 13,000 LBS loaded.

This is what has been done at 9K miles:

All fluids replaced with Amsoil Synthetic. (only coolant is stock)
Airdog 2 Fuel Pump
Transmission Filter
Coolant Filter
Amsoil Micro oil filter system
Custom air intake - Zylstra Custom Intake
4” exhaust
EGR Delete
High performance Alternator 270A
Auxillary transmission cooler (custom)
Enlarged (performance) power steering cooler (Supercooler ?make)
Jody Tipton custom tune. 80 hp econo (have a tow tune not used currently)

What I will do is:

Turbo
Fuel Pressure regulator kit upgrade
ARP head studs

Has anyone used these:

http://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/Bullet ... s/137.html -4 pin? 6 phase set at 58V. Better cold start and more effeciency. See: http://www.bulletproofdiesel.tv/Files/M ... ieselPower

Or these injectors - either the 50 or 90 hp version.

http://bdpshop.com/performance/injectio ... r-set.html

Interesting pulling grade up a steep hill after I left the mechanic consultation I got a p0269 cylinder #3 contribution balance error and it ran rough triggered at the top of hill. Thought was road or tire issue. Like motor mount out, forward thrust jostling but only at specific motor rpm. I made my injector angry...too soon to tell exactly the issue but this is why I was looking at injectors.

Welcome any other thoughts and suggestions.
Ketcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:05 AM   #20

It looks like you've got an upgraded fuel system so with studs you could certainly get away with bigger injectors. And also a bigger turbo. Any ideas on that or are you going to stay stock? If stock put in a billet compressor wheel and you could also put in a stainless unison ring. 360 thrust bearing will help with better oil flow.

If upgrading the turbo this is the one I'm looking at: http://www.wpediesel.com/index.php/turb ... turbo.html

As for the BPD FICM, they make great stuff but IMO are over priced. They also don't offer an extended warranty. When it came time to rebuild my FICM I went with Ed and FICMrepair.com. Lifetime warranty and a total rebuild. I think the 48 vs 58V option...why? More heat and the PCM can't even read it. I don't see the real benefit or any performance increase and believe it's mostly hype. Do you have a problem with cold starts?

You might consider switching to an ELC coolant and getting rid of the Ford Gold.