Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2014, 04:08 PM   #1
Site Team

Garage
Bullet proof question

OK I added a Elite Diesel powermax-ssx turbo to my 6.0 PSD. I have a mild towing engine tune and a 40HP FICM tune. The boost is way up from what the stock turbo ever produced. (BTW the engine has been upgraded for this turbo) I really don't push it much but did notice when I'm climbing a steep grade in overdrive that a heavy foot on the throttle forces the the boost way up and the turbo (?) gives a kind of air type chirping sound. If I really push it the engine will stutter a bit. Is that the wastegate pushing off the overboost? Seems like I can hear it in the air box. If I take it out of overdrive or downshift, it won't do this. I do notice that the transmission is way more reluctant to downshift out of OD with the towing tune so I make it a point to leave it out of OD when in the hills and keep an eye on the boost. [edit] No exhaust modes have been done.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 05:08 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta
Re: Bullet proof question

I had to have a custom tune for my PowerMax turbo. Call Jody at DP tuning

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 05:52 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

So the SCT tune they put in is no good? I called Mike at 5 star and he seemed to think that was fine. But I'm open to suggestions but I'm not wanting to purchase a new DP tuner

Old 12-21-2014, 08:21 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

DP emailed the tune to me, but I needed an SCT to flash the ECU. My rig was very sluggish, unhappy and had high EGT with the stock tune and Powermax turbo. DP sent me two tunes, one was based on the pick-up truck and my trans hated it. The all new tune he made for the van worked miraculously. YMMV.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:03 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta
DP emailed the tune to me, but I needed an SCT to flash the ECU. My rig was very sluggish, unhappy and had high EGT with the stock tune and Powermax turbo. DP sent me two tunes, one was based on the pick-up truck and my trans hated it. The all new tune he made for the van worked miraculously. YMMV.

Z
I'm not seeing that. The van screams and the EGT's are lower that they've ever been. Cool down is also quicker and the MPG's have jumped from an average of 11 to 15. Even the trany temps are lower but I think that is more due to the time of year and my hood vents. On flat ground the scan gauge (for what that is worth) is now showing MPG of 17 and higher. Before it was 14 at best. In the hills I still see lower MPG's but it is way better than stock.

I just want to know WTF that noise is and if it's a problem.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:27 PM   #6

Was the 5 star tune written before the turbo upgrade? And it's a Garret Powermax GT3788VA right? If so, the compressor wheel is bigger than stock and there is a different number of blades on the turbine wheel. I have no idea what the noise is but it may take more that one try to get the tune right. Everything I've read about surging or lag issues with the p-max reaquires specific tuning. It's not plug and play.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:46 AM   #7
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta
I had to have a custom tune for my PowerMax turbo. Call Jody at DP tuning

Z
Thanks Tom. I'm gonna have Jody build the tune after the holidays.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:51 AM   #8
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
Was the 5 star tune written before the turbo upgrade? And it's a Garret Powermax GT3788VA right? If so, the compressor wheel is bigger than stock and there is a different number of blades on the turbine wheel. I have no idea what the noise is but it may take more that one try to get the tune right. Everything I've read about surging or lag issues with the p-max reaquires specific tuning. It's not plug and play.
No, I had called them about the stock 50HP SCT power tow tune and they seemed to think it was fine. Perhaps they missed that it was a van. I might have thrown them off because I was asking if I could get a lower HP tune being I have the 40HP FICM tune already and didn't feel I need the 50HP + 40HP tune.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
No, I had called them about the stock 50HP SCT power tow tune and they seemed to think it was fine. Perhaps they missed that it was a van. I might have thrown them off because I was asking if I could get a lower HP tune being I have the 40HP FICM tune already and didn't feel I need the 50HP + 40HP tune.
From what I've read you can stack the tunes and they are complementary but the PCM tune will mute the HP gain from the FICM tune. So, it's not like you end up with 90 HP.

I have a PCM/TCM tune from Eric at Innovative Diesel that is 65rwhp and I had Ed at FICMrepair.com add the Atlas40 when he repaired my FICM. I was contemplating the Powermax as a drop-in upgrade but would have to get Eric to re-write the tune. The other thing I've read (dangerous I know) is that the compressor wheel on the Pmax is crap and most recommend upgrading to a billet wheel like the wickedwheel.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:04 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage

Well that is good to know cause I really don't want a huge power increase. I just want the engine to be trouble free as possible. All I asked the shop was to install a good problem free turbo and that's what they said they put in.
So that turbo is gonna cause me issues Joe???