Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #31

Re: BULLETPROOF 6.0; 1. RELIABILITY 2. EFFICIENCY 3. PERFORM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalilsc
Unfortunately, the BPD radiator is NOT going to work out after all, so I am going with a stock replacement. On a positive note though, Jason who is doing the work for me at Devil Mountain Diesel, is following the Badger per my request by replacing the tranny cooler with the Tru-max 40K and using the old tranny cooler for the power steering cooler. Very happy about that upgrade. Especially for slow, hot ascents and descents in 4x.
In response to the PM's........Pictures coming next week, PROMISE!
I believe Performance makes the radiator for BPD. They show an aluminum option for my 2005 psd van.
https://shop.performanceradiator.com/in ... ct_id=5296

It's also quite a bit cheaper. No surprise there.
EXCELLENT! I love all the help!!! Have you actually installed this item?

khalilsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #32

I didn't realize the 6.0 vans had engine cooling issues.

I wonder if the V10 radiator will fit? Maybe with the new grill some of the other coolers can be pushed forward for more space? The E-series V10 radiator is also shared with the 7.3L in both the vans and F-series, so it works.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:04 AM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
I didn't realize the 6.0 vans had engine cooling issues....
Haven't heard that either. Never had a cooling issue, engine or trans, with my 6.0 even with the Aluminess bumper and three Hella HIDs mounted on top of the Aluminess.

Herb
Old 02-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #34

The 6.0's have marginal cooling at best. At least in the vans. The engine compartment is so tight that cooling air has a hard time exiting the radiator. That is a major reason why Ford didn't run the same 325HP tune in the vans as in the F-Series trucks. Can't cool the extra horses enough for long term reliability.

When I first put a Warn bumper on my van I encountered overheating , albeit under adverse conditions. 100+ degrees and pulling a long, steep grade going towards Death Valley the dash 'gauge' actually went up and into the RED and I lost all power. The 6.0 would idle, but not take any throttle. I poured a gallon of water over the radiator and the gauge came down and power returned. I continued my trip to Iowa. When I got to my dad's house I noticed the bottom third of the radiator had no bugs, while the top did. So, I drilled a bunch of 2" holes in the front of the bumper to increase the opening for air flow and have never had a repeat.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #35
Site Team

Garage

What's a hot engine temp number?

On my van the fan kicks in all the time in the summer, nothing like running in winter or cooler climates. It keeps the engine from running above 222* for the most part so it keeps up whatever I've thrown at it during normal operation. But I've also thought cooler temps are easier on the engine. An air dam is great but generally it's slower steep climbs that cause problems. The trany is actually more of an issue and I've had to pull over and let it cool down.

Again how hot can the trany go?

I've had shop guys say 240...my alarm indicates at 220, so if it lights up I pull over. Maybe I'm slightly too worried. A trany cooler (located in a better spot) is high on my list. Highway 108 is the major route I use to get to where I want to go and the van gets hot going up its 26% grade. I always have to pull over to let things cool. Off road I've had the same problems but I figure it's due to slow speeds along with steep climbing.

All I'd like to do is get the tranny cooler out of in front of the radiator if possible to see if that helps with both the trany and engine.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #36

Hottest I've seen on my V10 is also 222F. That's in the normal range on the dash. It doesn't concern me one bit. Duramax diesels can easily shoot way past that.

My Trans temp gauge (Banks) puts the yellow zone at 240F, and the Red zone a little above that (255-ish). Banks designates the color coding for installation at the port, which is where I have the sender. However, above 215 I can feel torque management limit power whenever the TC is unlocked. It'll still pull, but it launches from a stop much slower. I've only seen temps that high on grades over 12% when towing ~15,000 pounds.

I've only had to pull over once for high temps. It was pulling westbound of death valley, and I finally pulled over when the rear diff gauge maxed out at 250F.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #37

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
Quote:
Unfortunately, the BPD radiator is NOT going to work out after all, so I am going with a stock replacement. On a positive note though, Jason who is doing the work for me at Devil Mountain Diesel, is following the Badger per my request by replacing the tranny cooler with the Tru-max 40K and using the old tranny cooler for the power steering cooler. Very happy about that upgrade. Especially for slow, hot ascents and descents in 4x.
In response to the PM's........Pictures coming next week, PROMISE!
I believe Performance makes the radiator for BPD. They show an aluminum option for my 2005 psd van.
https://shop.performanceradiator.com/in ... ct_id=5296

It's also quite a bit cheaper. No surprise there.
EXCELLENT! I love all the help!!! Have you actually installed this item?

How is the aftermarket radiator better? Bigger? Modern radiators are already pretty good.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #38

Dave,

My fan starts at 215 and gets to full roar at 225. Since I got my ScanGauge I haven't seen much over 230 and the dash 'gauge' is still in the middle.

I don't have a problem with trans temp as long as I keep the engine above 2000 rpm. Above 2000 rpm,there is very little slippage in the torque converter and that slippage is what makes most of the tranny heat. On slow climbs, that means I have to be in lo-range. The van will pull the long steep grades at 1000 rpm, but the transmission will get hot. In lo-range above 2000 rpm the trans stays cool and the fan will keep the engine heat down.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #39

I have the same bumper as you but without the plastic section that your license plate is attached to. I have a winch right behind where you drilled those holes. The winch would probably block a lot of that air even if I drilled holes too.
I have actually never had the opportunity to closely monitor temps, but I've never overheated according to the dash. The real reason I am doing these cooling mods is because I consider it a bonus to all the other work I'm doing. Its all taken apart anyway, why not put it back together with new parts that are better? I have drilled holes through the inner fender wells and will be puting those cool cheek vents in too, hoping that will do something. Even if the tranny or engine never "overheats", cooler is better for longevity.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #40

How is the aftermarket radiator better? Bigger? Modern radiators are already pretty good.

Z[/quote]

Its ALL aluminum, no plastic connections. A radiator is only good so long as it doesn't leak a few years down the road.