Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #41

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta
BULLETPROOF 6.0; 1. RELIABILITY 2. EFFICIENCY 3. PERFORMANCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalilsc
Its ALL aluminum, no plastic connections. A radiator is only good so long as it doesn't leak a few years down the road.
All aluminum means more mass, which means less ability to give up heat, which means slower cool down.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #42

Re: BULLETPROOF 6.0; 1. RELIABILITY 2. EFFICIENCY 3. PERFORM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta
Quote:
Its ALL aluminum, no plastic connections. A radiator is only good so long as it doesn't leak a few years down the road.
All aluminum means more mass, which means less ability to give up heat, which means slower cool down.

Z
Interesting theory, never thought of it like that. Aluminum, as an element has a very low heat capacity, especially when compared to water (or coolant). The cores on the stock radiators are aluminum as well, so I'm not sure how much extra mass there really is in the aluminum tank and connections on an aftermarket ALL aluminum radiator vs the plastic tank and connections on a stock. My guess is that it would be negligible in terms of heat transfer. The vast majority of the heat in the cooling system is within the coolant, the radiator acts as an efficient means of transferring heat, but itself holds very little energy. The advantage to having all aluminum is that they are generally one piece (the better ones at least) and hold up better over time.
khalilsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #43

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

Haven't had the radiator out of my rig--yet. But my experience with modern, factory radiators is that they are feather light.

I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with the aftermarket radiator, but it's easy to get sucked into the aftermarket HAS to be better than stock mindset. I've been there. Just recently I thought about changing the intake tube from the intercooler on my rig to one of these: http://cfmplus.com/cfmplus_60prod-LM-SM_09.html . Look how smooth and shiny it is! Has to be better right? A quick internets search failed to turn up any evidence of that. No one I could find, who actually bought one, could feel any difference.

I'll shut up now...
Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #44

Quote:
EXCELLENT! I love all the help!!! Have you actually installed this item?
No, but I had read on one of the diesel forums that Performance made the radiator that BPD sells. I'm stockpiling my own parts and ideas for the EGR delete that is on my horizon. Even though the water pumps apparently don't have a high rate of failure I'm definitely picking up a BPD version with the aluminum impellor blades. Stock is plastic

I'm following the aluminum radiator versus stock discussion but don't really have anything to add except that the diesel guys do it a lot when they upgrade. And afterall, with the 6.0 I have a serious case of upgrade-itis
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #45

I don't think those Performance Radiators will have any more cooling capacity. They have the same core specs as the OE radiator.

Big advantage of all-metal radiators is repairability, vs the plastic-tanked ones which pretty much make them throw-away items. My stock plastic radiator lasted 280,000 miles.

Now when it comes to intercoolers.... I always recommended all-Aluminum intercoolers for my 6.0 F-series customers, because this won't happen:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-s...403_152007.jpg
Seal didn't just blow out. It actually pushed out the crimps.

If the end-crimps fail on the plastic radiator, it means the cap failed and somethings was going to blow anyways (in my case the upper-tank slit open like a microwaved sausage).
Old 02-02-2013, 08:58 PM   #46

I would not suggest anyone pulls their functioning stock radiator, in fact its a great part from what I can tell. But in my case, the existing radiator being pulled already has 60k. I might as well put in a new one, it might as well be all aluminum, especially at a fraction of the price of the stock unit, I'm sold. Will it cool better/worse than stock? Probably not. Most importantly, it's NEW.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #47

Bump and a query.

Given some of the issues with fuel delivery (ie., HPOP and injectors) and fuel starvation on the 6.0 psd (ie., pressure regulator spring fatigue). The fix for the latter is the "Blue-Spring" upgrade. Has anyone installed an aftermarket fuel pressure gage? I'm looking at this one here: http://www.dieselmanor.com/isspro/R17044.asp

Anyhow, since the OP is installing a Edge Insight I thought I would add that the 6.0 does not have a fuel pressure sensor so there's no PID to use at the ODBI port with a Scanguage or Edge.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
Bump and a query.

Has anyone installed an aftermarket fuel pressure gage? I'm looking at this one here: http://www.dieselmanor.com/isspro/R17044.asp

Anyhow, since the OP is installing a Edge Insight I thought I would add that the 6.0 does not have a fuel pressure sensor so there's no PID to use at the ODBI port with a Scanguage or Edge.
We have a Glow-Shift fuel pressure gauge, with the sensor at the rear driver's side fuel rail in the block (the fuel bowl location used for the trucks is blocked by the van wire-harness).

-e
Old 02-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by etbadger

We have a Glow-Shift fuel pressure gauge, with the sensor at the rear driver's side fuel rail in the block (the fuel bowl location used for the trucks is blocked by the van wire-harness).

-e
Excellent info! I was going to tap into the fuel bowl but ordered a billet aluminum replacement fuel filter cap with a 1/8"NPT port on the top. So, the sender can go on toop but I'm not sure of the fit.

I picked up an Autometer gage but only to match the pyro that's already in the dash installed by the PO. They seem overly pricey compared to Glowshift or ISSPRO.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #50

GOT MY VAN HOME TODAY!

I don't have time to do a full report nor have I spent enough time behind the wheel to do so...but my initial 100 miles in it has been a completely different experience than I have ever had:
1. FEELS like double the horsepower, roasts the tires from a standstill. Quicker throttle response, with getty-up I never thought was possible out of that motor in that van. LOTS and LOTS of power. It somehow makes the van feel like it handles better because of it.
2. The MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust sounds good, throaty and deep growl on initial acceleration but from inside the van its inaudible over the stock system. Not at all loud by any means. I do hear more turbo whistle and suction of air.
3. EGTs are between 600-800 at highway speeds OAT of 72*
4. Tranny shifts more precisely and stays in top gear at 70mph on average ascents. Haven't pulled with it yet but my average tranny temp is about 180 after 30 minutes on the highway at both highway speeds and with some stop and go traffic.
5. LOVE the Edge Insight. Very user friendly.
Will add more after a trip to SALINE valley next week. Thanks for all your feedback and help everyone.