Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #11

Re: Bulletproof Oil Cooler and AMSOil Bypass Filter Connecte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogusBlake
That. Is. Awesome!

Can't wait to see the Aluminess solution to work with this system.
I've only talked over the phone with someone. I hope to stop by in a few weeks to see if they have any ideas.
Part of what I need to accomplish is protect that oil thermostat which right now is just behind the stock plastic bumper skirt .

Pat

2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:57 PM   #12

A quick follow up. I haven't gone out to the desert to get some slower back road results with higher ambient temperatures yet, maybe in a few weeks. But around town driving is consistent with what I saw on my 1200 mile trip. San Diego temperatures have been in the 60's through mid 70's. I never see over 190 degrees on the oil and usually the coolant is a few degrees warmer.

I would say it works exactly as I was hoping; the best in filtration and now keeping that oil 20 to 30 degrees cooler too. It was very expensive to do this but I think I'm set for trouble free operation for the next 10 years (fingers crossed). Interesting side note; I now have a 20 quart oil system. I was also pleased to note from the documentation that the 185 degree thermostat does not restrict oil flow, it short circuits the oil back to the engine after it has already gone through the oil filters. FYI - the documentation also mentions an available 1/4" port on the passenger side of the cooler for "end user options" such as a bypass filter but this would not be sufficient to be the only filter.

I'll be pushing off the Aluminess visit for awhile. I just had to replace the alternator and a coolant hose and my van budget is now triple shot.

I would like to pass along a recommendation for the shop I had this work done at. This was part of a much larger bullet proof effort (turbo with upgrades, BDP water pump, stand pipes / dummy plugs, EGR cooler, coolant filter) and East County Diesel provided some real A+ effort and results. The filter and cooler integration was a 100% custom effort with all those fittings and larger hoses now going to the AMSOil block. Bobby Fields is the head guy to talk to and the number and address is 619-334-6005,(14423 Bond Court, El Cajon 92021).
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:28 PM   #13

Some additional BPD oil temp observations:
* interstate speeds with long hill climbs and passing (I-8 East out of SD); 195 and below
* desert ambient of 85 degrees, blacktop driving 40 to 55 mph never over 190
* desert ambient of 75 degrees, driving 4x4 Hi in a rocky / washboard wash, 2 - 5 mph, never over 200
* Banner Grade, 65 degrees at top, 10 to 35 mph, topped out at 209

About all that remains that I'm interested in monitoring is 95-100 degree ambient and 4x4 slow. Everything else seems ideal. I'm hoping I never have to hear that banshee fan again.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:26 AM   #14

Newby here....

I have an 06 Dsl with 28K miles on it, purchased two months ago, car fax report shows that Ford replaced the turbo a few years ago but doesn't say much more.

Question is,
- How you get all this oil v/s coolant temperature info?
- Any Dsl shop recommendation around So-Cal.
- Is there a way to get more detailed information on the work Ford did, is there someone out there with access to the Ford system that can pull the info?

Thanks, i love this site.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:36 AM   #15
Site Team

Oasis is the in-house system that Ford uses to track work. They won't give out the info to just anyone with a VIN, they typically need to know it belongs to you before they share the info. That will let you know the work done at Ford dealerships, but not any independent shops.

As for recommendations of a shop to do work, where in SoCal are you? I've had Tarango's Diesel in Santa Paula do work on a number of diesel trucks and have been happy with the.

Herb
Old 03-23-2014, 10:06 AM   #16

Thanks, ill ck with Ford next week.

Im around Irvine so i guess OC Dsl is my best choice, are they reliable?
Do you know how they take all those temperature readings, are they using a hand held infrared reader or is that info available with a code reader.

Vehicle runs great! just trying to get ahead of the repair curve.

Again thanks/
Old 03-23-2014, 10:09 AM   #17
Site Team

Temp readings like Engine Coolant Temp (ECT) and Engine Oil Temp (EOT) are easily taken with a small device that plugs into the vehicle OBD port, something like a ScanGauge II.

https://www.scangauge.com/

Herb
Old 03-23-2014, 10:23 AM   #18

THANKS, buying one now!
Old 04-27-2014, 04:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick
Newby here....

Question is,
- How you get all this oil v/s coolant temperature info?
- Any Dsl shop recommendation around So-Cal.
- Is there a way to get more detailed information on the work Ford did, is there someone out there with access to the Ford system that can pull the info?

Thanks, i love this site.
Most of us get the oil and coolant temps from a Scangauge or other OBDII monitor.

I'm from NorCal, so no.

Probably not. Oasis gives you what was entered into the system.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote