Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: Bulletproofing diesel; what and when

I'm not pushing this product because I'm still testing the 40HP upgrade and although I've seen a huge difference in hole shot, I'm also seeing some black smoke at full throttle off the line.

http://ficmrepair.com/FAQ/index.htm

I'm also using Hot Shot Secret and their fuel additive the site suggests to use but only on a limited basis. Other than that I have been using Ford's cetane booster on every fill up with good results. I might try another brand one of these days but the Ford stuff has worked well with my Espar units. I also have the twin oil filters and use AMSOIL but don't go past 8K miles and typically change about 6-7K. I do lab checks from time to time.
A coolant filter is soon on the list of to-do's along with an exhaust upgrade.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #12

I killed the kitty and added a high-flow muffler. Otherwise, stock pipe. My EGTs are some 200 degrees lower as measured with a Autometer pyrometer. Max, even on a hot day on a long grade is 800 to 900F. I had hit 1100 prior to the mod.

I have a 65 rwHP tune that Eric at Innovative Diesel wrote and loaded on an SCT Tuner. It's an economy tune which also turns off the EGR. It also modified the tranny shift points which are now crisper and faster. My mileage is perhaps 1 to 1.5 mpg better than before. I still have the stock FICM but am considering the BPD upgrade.

Hope that helps but the first two mods, echoing what has already been stated in this thread, are install a coolant filter and consider doing an entire flush and/or replacing with an ELC coolant. Two highly regarded coolant filters are offered by Dieselsite and IPR. Secondly, scangauge II or the Insight with the pyrometer option and start monitoring vitals. Many of the issues with the 6.0 had been rectified with upgraded parts before yours came off the assembly line so I wouldn't get too crazy with mods or bulletproofing just yet. Here's a good read on the various issues not covered already in your thread.
http://www.internationalpowerstroke.com ... blems.html
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
I killed the kitty and added a high-flow muffler. Otherwise, stock pipe. My EGTs are some 200 degrees lower
Love to see a link to what you purchased

Old 07-18-2013, 11:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
I killed the kitty and added a high-flow muffler. Otherwise, stock pipe. My EGTs are some 200 degrees lower
Love to see a link to what you purchased
Muffler or custom programing?
Old 07-18-2013, 11:47 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage

The muffler. I want to get my EGT's down at a minimal expense. Thanks!

Old 07-19-2013, 05:42 AM   #16

Quote:
One other thing about the 6.0 PSD - RUN it every time you use it. Spin up that turbo and make it work, It's designed for that. Cool it down for a couple of minutes before you turnoff the engine.
Since I started to follow the suggestion above, my 6.0psd has been trouble free.

The theory is pretty simple. Carbon buildup anywhere in the engine will cause problems. Run it hard frequently to get any accumulated crud out, in addition to keeping the fluids clean.

I'm at 90k and have had zero trouble except for a clogged EGT valve within the first 20k miles before I made it a habit to run the motor hard regularly. Despite the bad rep, my 6.0psd has been by far the most reliable motor I've ever owned.

Only mod on mine is a 4" exhaust, and I'd probably have just left it stock if I were doing things over from scratch.

Also, I've had a drop of oil on the bell housing from day one. It very rarely leaves a spot on the ground, and if so, it is only one or two drops max. The level on the dipstick never changes. Given all that is involved with replacing the bed plate seal, etc.......I've decided to just live with a perpetual drop of oil on the bell housing.

Good luck.

R
Old 07-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #17

Quote:
The muffler. I want to get my EGT's down at a minimal expense. Thanks!
Nothing fancy, just an IMCO aluminized steel diesel high flow muffler. I believe the reduction in EGT is mostly the result of removing the CAT. I don't think there is really much of a gain after that unless you can get a 4" pipe to fit turbo-back. We all know how tight it is on the van and there isn't an aftermarket alternative like on the 7.3 but the SMB KING of Fabrication jwintersteller was able to do it.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #18
Site Team

Garage

So you removed the catalytic converter? That won't cut it in California. I would think its not an issue adding a different muffler but if the converter is the problem I sure don't want to spend money on something that won't be effective. I also want to avoid any large increase in exhaust noise...it's noisy enough but a mild increase in noise would be acceptable.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #19

Quote:
So you removed the catalytic converter? That won't cut it in California. I would think its not an issue adding a different muffler but if the converter is the problem I sure don't want to spend money on something that won't be effective. I also want to avoid any large increase in exhaust noise...it's noisy enough but a mild increase in noise would be acceptable.
Yep.
Diesels are now smog checked in CA. It is a visual test (for now), and one of the first things they check is to make sure the cat converter has not been removed.

If it is missing, you cannot renew your tags.

R
Old 07-19-2013, 11:45 PM   #20

Thanks for all the great info here guys, it's truly appreciated. The only diesel I've owned before this was a 7.3l F350 and so far, I really like the 6.0l. Hopefully with the right mods, I'll be a happy camper with it for years to come. I'll post a thread shortly for the van once I get it back from Van Specialties.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote