Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2013, 07:43 AM   #21
Site Team

Re: Bulletproofing diesel; what and when

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelso
... I'll post a thread shortly for the van once I get it back from Van Specialties.
Sorry, that won't cut it, we need in-process pictures first. Please?

Old 07-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Quote:
... I'll post a thread shortly for the van once I get it back from Van Specialties.
Sorry, that won't cut it, we need in-process pictures first. Please?

Haha, I've got a few for you guys, but I'll try to get some more build photos soon.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #23

This is all very good advice and can't really add much. But I can sum-up what I've done and echo some of the things said before. First, don't be to paranoid about the 6.0 failing. As said above it is a good engine and the 08 had most of the bugs worked out. I went through that paranoid stage thinking that on the next trip my engine will blow. Once I added the appropriate gages to monitor the critical temps, I saw that I was worrying for nothing.

Flush the coolant system and add the coolant filter. I didn't do this until 35K but I was lucky to have a clean system from the factory, no casting sand or other oil cooler clogging debris was ever found.
If your oil cooler stays clear and the EGR cooler gets a good flow of coolant, it most likely will not fail.
I got the Edge Insight Monitor (worth every penny) and I always have the coolant and oil temps on display. Mine are always within 10 degrees so I know my oil cooler is clear. If this changes, I plan to go the Bulletproof rout.

EGT gage, make sure to install the sensor on the back of the drivers side exhaust manifold. (A trick to drilling and tapping that hole is to run the engine while you do it. The pressure of the exhaust will blow out any metal chips). Never let those temps get over 1200 degrees for long. I learned that diving up a hill in overdrive will really increase those temps.

I also have the SCT tuner that was programmed by Innovative Diesel and I run the economy tune. As stated above this also keeps the EGR valve closed most of the time so less heat is being added to the coolant. I have not seen any black smoke, even under load. For me, this has been a great upgrade and the shifting and extra power has made my van drive much nicer. The extra power will drive you EGTs up. But with my cold air intake and 4" exhaust, I normally run 600 degrees. When going up a grade it may be between 900 and a 1000 if I'm pushing 65 to 70mph.

My exhaust now has a 3 1/2" down pipe from the turbo and then goes to a 4" the rest of the way back. While this is keeping my EGTs down, it has had a negative affect on my MPGs. I am considering putting the stock down pipe back on to create a little more back pressure to see if that brings my MPGs up a bit.

I went the AMSOil rout with the bypass filter and don't change my oil as much as some of the other guys. Not sure how this will play out in the long run but so far this has been working out for me.

I never start the engine without bringing the temps all the way up to operating temperature. If I have to move the van in my driveway, I will drive it around the neighborhood until it is around 190 degrees before turning it off.
After a long drive on the highway, I give it a few minutes to cool down.
I've had no problems with my turbo and I think that this habit has something to do with that.

That's my two cents worth.
Cheers,
John
jwintersteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:39 PM   #24

Thanks John, that's some really helpful info. I think I'm leaning towards getting the Edge Insight monitor at this point. That should help ease my concern of overheating. It's always nice to hear from someone else's first hand experience, so thanks for sharing!!
Old 07-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #25

Garage

Here's some interesting information regarding changes that were made to the engine from 2003-2007. Ford obviously took some measures to improve the reliability and performance.
http://www.internationalpowerstroke....r-changes.html
Old 07-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #26

I've read a lot about Ford making upgrades to the 6.0l over the years, but had never seen a direct list of what they did each year. That's something that's very helpful for someone looking for a used diesel van and makes me glad I went with the '08. Nice find!
Old 07-22-2013, 12:40 AM   #27

Quote:
I've read a lot about Ford making upgrades to the 6.0l over the years, but had never seen a direct list of what they did each year. That's something that's very helpful for someone looking for a used diesel van and makes me glad I went with the '08. Nice find!
^^^^ read the same many times... I'm thinking the upgrades are a myth???

My advice, flush the coolants system, don't idle engine, keep it stock and buy a Ford 7 year extended warranty. Put lots of miles on it while under warranty and sell after coverage runs out.

Our 2009 6.0 with 50,000 miles has been in the shop 4 times for warranty work:

Fuel pressure rail replace
Water pump replace
Oil leak - pulled engine
Turbo replace

Other than above problems it's been a great engine (smiley face winky crap)
McZippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #28

McZippie, check out the link Tapatio sent through. Has a list of each upgrade Ford made to the 6.0l, listed by year.

I've seen lots of people talking about getting the 7 year warranty and I have mixed thoughts on that. For the same cost you could tackle the major issues of the engine. I would prefer to have something more reliable than have a warranty that will pay for my repairs when it breaks down. With that being said, I am interested in how others feel about the warranty and am curious exactly how much it costs. Can you purchase the warranty if it's a preowned vehicle?
Old 07-22-2013, 02:00 PM   #29

There is a "Ford Extended Warranty" subtic under the General Sportsmobile category somewhere, Kelso, There is some info there,

If you have 08, you're probably may not be able to do much, at least that is what I discovered with après-owned 2006 that I purchased in 2011.

Experience from the repair industry shows that, istorically, these engines tend to reveal their issues early(first 24 mos / 24k miles, Assuming you're able to adhere to some of the maintenance and operating suggestions offered elsewhere in this topic, your experience should be similar to those of us who are satisfied with the engine. As a long term proposition.

But if I'd purchased new and had McZippie's experience, I'd be at least equally skeptical,

SMB: 2006 RB-50 6.0 PSD SMB 4x4
1988 Porsche Carrera Cabriolet
2001 Harley Davidson Electra Glide (very not) Standard
2002 BMW R1150GS
mossbeachpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #30
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
I've seen lots of people talking about getting the 7 year warranty and I have mixed thoughts on that. For the same cost you could tackle the major issues of the engine. I would prefer to have something more reliable than have a warranty that will pay for my repairs when it breaks down. With that being said, I am interested in how others feel about the warranty and am curious exactly how much it costs. Can you purchase the warranty if it's a preowned vehicle?
Here is the link about the warranty viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4347

I got my moneys worth out of the ext-warranty. EGR cooler, blown injector, and bed plate leak would have taken a toll on me if I didn't have it and I was forced into the lesser plan because of poor timing. The upper plan would have covered a few thousand on parts my plan didn't cover.

I think you have to be the first time owner and if I recall, it has to be a Sportsmobile drive train conversion if that has been upgraded in any way. Not sure if the warranty can be transferred from a previous owner to a new owner. I'd discuss that with Jay Mento and not a dealership. The dealership will sell you one that might not be effective if changes were made such as a lift or 4x4 package.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote