Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2020, 08:15 PM   #11

Chinook, what and where is the "vacuum reservoir"? Is that the evap canister normally at the rear of the van?

4X4 Quigley
Agile RIP
CDACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:24 PM   #12

No its attached to the heater plenum under the dash. You have to remove the entire dash to gain access. It stores vaccuum so that when you mash your gas pedal to the floor your A/C vent doors dont slam shut inside the plenum due to lack of vaccuum ect...

If you look on youtube or probably on this forum someplace you can find instructionals on how to just mount a reservoir in an easier to access location and hook it up to the existing vaccuum hoses to avoid yanking the dash.

Im not saying thats your problem, im just sharing what happend with mine. If your heater and A/C vents arent acting up yours is probably fine.

Im not certain how this issue caused the PCV to malfunction. But i went on a 600 mile long trip when it was still acting up and halfway there my oil light came on. I pulled into a truck stop and checked the oil level and it had literally sucked three quarts of oil out of the engine.
Chinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:45 AM   #13
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDACamper View Post
Chinook, what and where is the "vacuum reservoir"? Is that the evap canister normally at the rear of the van?
Here's a post I authored over on FTE---waaaaaaaaay more answers than your question asks but helpful maybe?

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-controls.html

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 11:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOVAL View Post
Been going through this for a while now and I have narrowed it down to two main components, at least for my van. The oil coolers tend to crack and leak oil into the coolant and the PCV system is poor at best. I will be installing a catch can on the PCV system to try and understand the amount of pullover actually seen.

I did switch from 5w-20 to 10w-30 and it did not make a viable difference in my case. I just use whatever is cheap and easy to keep on hand as the most important starting factor with oil is simply making sure there is enough in the engine to begin with.

Scott

On the 1996 5.8L the PCV valve is usually the issue.. OEM design is lacking.. Replace that PCV valve and the hose.. if your running a 5.8L you will have to make up the hose from other Ford Parts as its no longer offered by Ford.. But a trip to a Auto parts store and a few Lincoln parts and you can make your own.. Now mine is good for another 25 years
Vanzila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:47 PM   #15

I bought my 2000 V10 when it had 110k miles. The first thing I did was change the oil to full synthetic. After doing that, I noticed a blue puff on cold starts. After some trouble shooting that came up empty handed, I drained the oil and changed it to Motorcraft blend with the Motorcraft valved filter. The mobil one filter should have been valved too but all I can say is that 50k later, with Motorcraft and 5k intervals, I have not seen another puff. The oil consumption between changes is less than a quart.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:48 PM   #16

My 2005 E350 V8 with 150k miles appeared to burn 0 oil upon purchasing, but after changing the oil burnt a quart every 2,000 miles.

After watching a decent number of "FordTechMakuloco" videos on Youtube about the 5.4L and countless hours researching, I decided to go with 5W-30. Happy to report there has been absolutely no oil burnt in the 10k miles since then.

5W-20 versus 5W-30 is a highly contested issue...but definitely worked to solve our oil burning problem!
GrandVanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:25 PM   #17

My 2005 V10 burns a little between oil changes. I sent a sample to blackstone that had about 7000 miles on it. It came back very clean and the report said it was consistent with other samples that had about 3500 miles. Said I could maintain 7000 intervals if I wanted, but I will keep it at 5000 just so its easier for me to remember when to change the oil.