Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2012, 06:05 AM   #11
Site Team

Re: Cat-back Mods

You're right. Modifying or deleting emissions equipment is a violation of Federal law, regardless if your state inspects diesel powered vehicles or not. The only consequence would appear to be making your vehicle non-registerable in those states that do perform diesel inspections (which seems to be increasing every year). Probably only important if you decide to sell your vehicle. Surprisingly, California actually lagged behind a number of states for diesel inspections.

Herb

Old 10-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #12

So I finally got around to finishing my turbo back 4"exhaust. Well actually it's a 3 1/2" out of the turbo and down until it gets under the van. Then it transitions up to 4".

I have been planning this for some time now and have tried to find someone that could do what I wanted but had no luck.

As anyone that has looked into buying an after market exhaust kit for a E350 6.0 Diesel will know, nobody makes one. So I bought this Diamondeye kit for a F350 http://www.diamondeyeperformance.com/im ... K4334S.pdf from TVDiesel.com. I also ordered an extra 3 1/2" 90 degree elbow, a 3 1/2" 45 degree elbow and an extra 4" X 24" piece. I also bought the Torca Band Clamps because the U-bolt clamps can crush the pipe and make it impossible to get them apart later.
Of course I was going to have to do some modification to get this under the van. The first thing I discovered was that the house battery mounting bracket was in the way. I was going to have to move it or rebuild the bracket. I opted for the latter because I didn't want to move the weight of the battery farther to the back of the vehicle, even though that would have been much easier then changing the bracket. Here are some pics of the mod on that.

This is a view from the back looking forward with the house battery on the left.

The next hurdle was to get a 3 1/2" down pipe into the space where a 3" down pipe was. I started by making a template that followed the stock pipe. By doing this I would have a line to follow and know for sure that the doghouse would not come into contact with the new pipe. This is what that looked like with the stock pipe.

And this is the new pipe.

I used the 3 1/2" 90 degree elbow to come out of the turbo. Cutting the flange off the F350 down pipe and welding it to the 90 degree elbow. Then I attached a straight pipe and then 2, 45 degree elbows to create a sweeping curve heading down the underside of the van. On the straight pipe I had to compress the section that squeezed by the pipe between the exhaust manifold and the turbo .

I ended up using an insulating exhaust wrap on this section because the heat shield no longer had room with the larger pipe. This turned out to work quite well, the passenger side of the doghouse is now much cooler then the drivers side.

I didn't like the hangers that came with the kit so I cut the hangers off the stock exhaust and modified them to work on the new system.

I was short one hanger so I made one from scratch.

Everything else was straight forward. I had planned on using a Mig wire feed welder but in order to weld S.S. you need a trimix gas that is 90% helium. It turns out that there is a nation wide helium shortage and I couldn't get that mix. (But somehow I still see helium balloons all over the place, I guess a child's joy take priority over industrial manufacturing).
I was lucky enough to have a friend with a Tig welder and he was kind enough to let me use it. My welds turned out to be not to bad for an amateur, (this was my first attempt at welding S.S. and exhaust tubing.

The end results;

It is a little louder but less then I expected. I really don't hear any difference while driving.
My EGTs are way down, an easy 200 degrees, particularly on the hills.
I haven't seen any better MPGs but I've only done one trip so far with head winds and the AC running the whole drive.
The biggest down side is the diesel exhaust smell without the Catalytic Converter. This is self explanatory and I should have been expecting it but there was no talk about it on any of the forums that I read. All the talk was about the droning and the whistle of the turbo, (all things that most guys like), nothing about the smell so it just caught my off guard.

Regarding the biennial inspection, my plan is this. I kept the stock down pipe and the Cat. and bought a piece that will tie it into the new 4" system after the Cat. So every two years I will install this and have a legal 4" Cat. back system. It takes about 45 min. to convert it.

There are more pic on my gallery.

Cheers,
John
jwintersteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

Great looking work. Where were you EGTs before?

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta
Great looking work. Where were you EGTs before?

Z
Thanks Z,
My temps were around 675-750 on flat roads at 65-70mph. But on long hills I've been over 1200, even close to 1300 for a bit. That's when I found out that it is better to turn off the overdrive and let the engine rev a little higher on the hills. That would bring the temp down below 1200.
With the new system, normal driving is more around 500-600 but the hills that would push it to 1200 now only get me up around 900-1,000 even if I'm in overdrive.

John
Old 10-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #15
Site Team

'frickin overachiever.

Looking sweet.

Herb
Old 10-03-2012, 12:04 AM   #16

with Herb,

It looks really great... so since you did so good with yours...

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrasport12
with Herb,

...Jamie
Thanks Jamie but no, I will not be opening a muffler shop.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwintersteller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrasport12
with Herb,

...Jamie
Thanks Jamie but no, I will not be opening a muffler shop.
I had a feeling you might say that...

When I finally do my 4x4 converrsion I want to do something more free flowing since I have to modify the drivers side anyway. If I can find one I would like a dual inlet large muffler with a single outlet for a big tail pipe like the one you used.

Like everything you do the exhaust looks really great...

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #19

Cat-back Mods

Looks mighty fine John.

How's the drone in yours?

What's the purpose of that particular muffler?

Mine (7.3 4" turbo back no muffler) is almost annoying only under heavy load. Seems when the van is building lots of pressure. Otherwise idle and cruising its only a pinch more noticeable over stock.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocsmb
Looks mighty fine John.

How's the drone in yours?

What's the purpose of that particular muffler?

Mine (7.3 4" turbo back no muffler) is almost annoying only under heavy load. Seems when the van is building lots of pressure. Otherwise idle and cruising its only a pinch more noticeable over stock.
I don't hear any drone in mine. I would describe it like yours, "a pinch more noticeable over stock".

That muffler was just the one that came with the Diamondeye kit. Maybe that's what is canceling out the drone that other people have talked about. I would like to have gone with out a muffler too but I was worried that my wife would complain about the noise. It's a straight through muffler, so I doubt it's slowing the flow much.

Cheers,
John