Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2022, 12:26 PM   #11

The thieves only stole one of my two converters from my 2002 motorhome (in an RV storage yard) which has a Workhorse (GM) chassis. I wonder if the thief stole it and an accomplice told him to leave the other one and go for a Ford.

BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 06:58 AM   #12
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
The thieves only stole one of my two converters from my 2002 motorhome (in an RV storage yard) which has a Workhorse (GM) chassis. I wonder if the thief stole it and an accomplice told him to leave the other one and go for a Ford.
I don't think thieves are that discerning when it comes to plying their trade.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 07:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
I don't think thieves are that discerning when it comes to plying their trade.
I was keying off of NRL's post #10: "Of all places, I got hit at the RV storage yard with 24hr security and cameras. They hit 20 vehicles(Gold mine at the RV storage yard, I think they hit every Ford RV/truck)."

I've read elsewhere that Ford trucks have a richer amount of rare metals in them and are more popular with thieves.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 06:21 AM   #14
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
I was keying off of NRL's post #10: "Of all places, I got hit at the RV storage yard with 24hr security and cameras. They hit 20 vehicles(Gold mine at the RV storage yard, I think they hit every Ford RV/truck)."

I've read elsewhere that Ford trucks have a richer amount of rare metals in them and are more popular with thieves.
Never heard that Ford's cats were more valuable but then my 2000 E-250 got hit right in front of my house parked on the street.

I'm not trying to be contentious or contrary but it seems we need a system or strategy to stop the thieves even before they begin cutting.

Cameras are all well and good however most aren't monitored in real time, at best they catch the action as history, scant chance of anything useful coming from the recordings. As we all know most often the undersides of our vans is left vulnerable, very few if any alarms other than the Cats Eye device ever address that.

I don't see too many reviews or such on the Catstrap in general so once again we have something that's possible but not yet proven to stop the thieves before they're done their damage.

Perhaps the underside plate is the best way to disuade them?

Once we've rounded that corner though we'll have be driving EV's anyway it seems.
Old 10-01-2022, 06:40 AM   #15

I was wondering if a metal strap could be welded or clamped on both ends of the convertor, then a trigger wire attached to the straps if either trigger wire loses connection via being cut and breaking the wires ground it will trigger an alarm system and lights. Worse case, the theif cuts one end of the cat breaking the ground and the alarm sounds before he can cut the other end off.

Basically using the metal cat as a ground wire to complete a circuit to a relay which triggers whatever anti theft system you install. You could have it trigger a flame thrower aimed at that area under the vehicle... lol
ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 06:06 AM   #16
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIron View Post

Basically using the metal cat as a ground wire to complete a circuit to a relay which triggers whatever anti theft system you install. You could have it trigger a flame thrower aimed at that area under the vehicle... lol

Well that's one idea huh? Unfortunately in today's litigious world the criminal would have grounds for legal action against YOU for such a thing.

That's an intriguing idea though. Whatever wiring you'd use as the trigger signal would want to be hidden so it wouldn't be snipped before they started cutting the converter out. Even though the trigger would engage whatever alarm etc installed thieves might still be quick enough to remove the cat and inflict damage to the exhaust system.