Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2022, 10:30 AM   #1

Catalytic Convertor Protection?

Cat theft is still on the rise and I'm thinking about the best way to protect the van, which has easy access of course. Anybody done a cat theft prevention? They sell ready made plates for my Toyotas, but I couldn't find anything for the van. I have a DIY no weld idea but I'm curious what if anything people have done. And I've seen the generic straps and cables with clamps etc.

Old 09-24-2022, 10:38 AM   #2

Garage
Couple good threads here outlining options (DIY & Retail purchase):
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ard-30475.html

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ter-28126.html

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...1-a-30181.html
Old 09-24-2022, 12:23 PM   #3

Search noob!!!

Sorry couldn't resist
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 01:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesez View Post
Search noob!!!

I've been here since April!
Old 09-25-2022, 05:16 AM   #5
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jage View Post
I've been here since April!
April of 2007 though!

Any idea you have would be welcome Jage, the less work required to implement your ideas would be very much appreciated I'm sure.

The only downside is we really don't know how effective some preventative ideas are though---few follow-up reports of thefts being stopped.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:32 AM   #6

Here's a link to a discussion on Winnieowners.com, a sportsmobileforum sister site about the Catstrap:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ml#post3926153

I kind of like the idea of the "Catstrap" vs. the cages but I have no personal experience with it.

JWA is right about the lack of follow-up reports. Part of the problem is that we'll never know about a successful deterrent unless other nearby vehicles were hit, like in a storage yard or if there's other evidence of an attempted theft.

I think effectiveness depends on where the vehicle is located and the availability of other targets. From what I've read, a thief isn't going to spend an extended period of time removing a protected cat when others are available nearby for a few minutes work. If the thief has all the time in the world and isn't worried about being caught, nothing is going to help.

After I had a cat stolen from my motorhome, I asked my my insurance company (Progressive) if they had any suggestions regarding anti-theft devices and they didn't. This makes me wonder about effectiveness.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:32 AM   #7

Donut Media has a pretty decent video and their conclusion is basically a plate is the best deterrent. If I still had a welder I'd probably just tack some rebar off a few places and take it back to the frame. I think the diesel cats are beefy enough to tack to.

For SMB specific I'm tempted to clamp two halves of a old propane tank over it and call it a day. I also thought about just mocking up some old pipe and the shell of something that looks like a cat that's easier and more obvious than the real cat. A tin wrap set away from the cat with propane stickers might work for the less intellectual thieves.

Alas these are just daydreams since I've gotten rid of my tools and don't have a place to work. At the end of the day finding a local welder to just tack scrap and rebar all over and up and down might be the answer but letting some random under the SMB is not ideal.
Old 09-28-2022, 06:06 AM   #8
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
JWA is right.....
One can never hear that too often!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
Here's a link to a discussion on Winnieowners.com, a sportsmobileforum sister site about the Catstrap:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ml#post3926153

I kind of like the idea of the "Catstrap" vs. the cages but I have no personal experience with it.
I also like the idea of the Catstrap too but more for that sensor trigging an alarm. As a stop-gap measure that alone might provide enough deterrence to run thieves off should they venture under a vehicle.

I would install a second sensor and/or alarm system in case one is somehow defeated or misses the miscreant.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 10:05 AM   #9

I had the catalytic convertors stolen the same night on my 2013 e350 and my tacoma parked next to it.
I've added aluminum (to keep the weight down) bolt on custom "skid plates" to hide the convertors.
They also pulled out the O2 sensor and wires to the board which blew that added to the problem and costs.
I'm hoping they wont want to take extra time for ones that are harder to see.
A--holes
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 11:51 AM   #10
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL
Of all places, I got hit at the RV storage yard with 24hr security and cameras. They hit 20 vehicles(Gold mine at the RV storage yard, I think they hit every Ford RV/truck).

For both of my van and truck, I had the muffler guy put in a new Cat but with a 3 bolt flange on both ends, flanges on the van too.

I'm either going to remove the Cat when in storage or put my own straight pipe that matches the 3 bolt flanges. And put the new cat back on when I need to smog it.

nothing to steal, move on.

Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote