Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2007, 05:57 PM   #1

Chevy 4X4???

I think that I would prefer a Chevy w/the SMB 4X4; why isn't one offered?

RobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:41 PM   #2

You can now get a solid axel chevy 4x4 diesel from quigley and have SMB build a camper. You could probably order the whole thing through SMB. When I bought my van chevy did not offer a diesel van so I bought the ford. If the chevy diesel was available I might have bought that. I think the chevy diesel engine and transmission are much better than what ford offers. I've driven the chevy diesel van and it is MUCH MUCH quieter that the ford. The SMB 4x4 may have a slight advantage offroad but I doubt most SMB owners would really notice as most of us are using our vans to drive to remote camp spots on forest service roads, beaches and the like versus rubicon trail type stuff or rock crawling.
Santa Barbara Ca
Jammyauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:21 PM   #3

You can get either a solid axle or IFS Chev/GM van through Quigley. The IFS version has the 2wd ride height while the solid axle model is 4" higher.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:01 PM   #4
Sam

I've often wondered the same thing about why SMB likes the Ford verses the Chevy van. Any Chevy they have built has been 2WD. As for the diesel engine that Chevy uses, Isuzu is the mfg'r of the engine. From what I have been told, it's a much better engine than the Ford diesel.

Another thing I've wondered about is who covers warranty problems for SMB's 4x4? I do know that Quigley is covered by the mfg'r as if they were built by Ford or GM. You simply take it to any dealer & have it taken care of. Can anyone shed a little light on the SMB 4x4 warranty?
Thanks!

Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:04 AM   #5

Supposedly, the reason most 4x4 SMBs are Fords, is because the Ford van body is much more rugged than the Chevy and can hold up to the stretching and compressing of four wheeling. That said, it seems that the diesel in the Chevy may be more reliable than the Ford diesel.
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:03 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to stanton
I'd guess it is just a supply/demand thing. SMB probably never developed its own Chevy/GM 4x4 conversion because the demand wasn't enough to justify the R&D and production costs (they obviously can't simply slap the Ford conversion on to the Chevy).

With that said, I've seen a few Chevy Sportsmobiles with the Quigley 4x4 conversion and they looked pretty nice to me.

Keep in mind that SMB doing its own 4x4 conversion is a relatively recent thing. All the 4x4 SMBs used to be Quigleys until the last few years or so.
stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:31 AM   #7

Garage
Per a conversation I had w/ Jonathan at SMB earlier this yr it sounded like another RV company (Chinook maybe)had an exclusive agreement w/ Quigley to supply Chevy's w/ 4x4. SMB does convert Chevy 4x4's but it sounded like somewhat of a process to get the van to SMB to convert.

it did sound like w/ their conversion, the Ford had more parts availability and was a fair amount easier and the vn body is a little more robust for extreme 4 wheeling - personally I will not be taking a 100k+ vehicle extreme 4wheeling, it's has been used in getting unstuck or out to cool campsites or for a bit of security in snowy conditions though.

With that being said, if I was going for a brand new SMB, I probably would consider a Duramax/Quigley even w/ the hassles of getting it to SMB. Just seems like the Duramax diesel has way less issues/nightmares than the 6.uh-oh

-d
Old 12-05-2007, 01:18 PM   #8
Site Team

It's just too bad Dodge doesn't have a similar size van available anymore, especially with the Cummins.

Herb
Old 12-05-2007, 01:22 PM   #9

You can order a GMC/Chevy van from any dealer with the Quigley IFS or the straight axel. Then take it to SMB. I priced a 2007 GMC Savana 2500 window van from a GMC dealer with the Duramax and the IFS and rear lockers. It came out to about $42,000 before tax/lic. and doc fees. The IFS conversion from Quigley via the dealer was $9400 out of that total. I drove one and it was NICE! Very quiet and comfortable to drive. I didn't buy it. Maybe I should!
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:59 PM   #10

What's the difference between the Quigley and the SMB 4X4? One superior to the other in terms of parts, construction, etc.? SMB 4X4 is full time, while Quigley is part time, correct? I understand that Quigley has been in the business longer. Any thoughts or opinions?
RobC is offline   Reply With Quote