Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2020, 01:51 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
The 7.3L in the E-series is now shipping. Of course, if you want a van body, you'll have to wait in line for the SMB Classic. Or swap a used van body onto a new cutaway-chassis.

One important note.. Because of the GVWR, the Ford 7.3L is dyno-certified in the E-series, which reports far lower numbers. But Ford says only the certification method differs, and the programming is the same (unlike the 3-valve V10 or the 6.7PSD). When chassis-certified the 7.3L is rated at 430 hp at 5,500 rpm and 475 lb-ft at 4,000 rpm.
Thanks for squaring me away. I forgot Ford is still making the cutaway.

Old 03-10-2020, 08:36 PM   #12

Considering all the consternation about the 6.0 Ford and the age of a 7.3 diesel Ford these days this shouldn’t be seen as anything other than great for this group. The fact that the GM 6.6 gas and the Ford 7.3 gas will be available in our favorite platforms is a boon. The old beasts are still alive!
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:03 AM   #13

When I bought my van, all I towed was my Jeep and I thought my 5.4 was just fine power wise. Recently though we bought a toy hauler to transport the Jeep in. Now I find that I don't necessarily need the van built out the way I have it, and I'm dreaming of more power.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7801.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	32221

We'll see if we use the van on road trips, and the trailer for those Jeep trips. If we do, I'll put up with the lack of power when pulling the trailer. But if all our trips evolve to towing the trailer, we may put the van up for sale and build a new van. Hell, we may do that anyway...

My buddy that has a 2003 7.3L 4x4, high top, custom interior similar to mine, has just purchased a Chevy Express 6.0L. His only plans are a 3" Weldtec lift, remove a couple seats inside, and add a chest style fridge.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7903.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	32222

Driving his Chevy I'm impressed with the power and handling. I would bet that shorter rear wheel to back bumper would tow a trailer better. The doors sound tinny compared to our Fords. Some Dynamat should fix that though. The interior in general feels cheaper than the Fords. Still, I find myself building a Chevy in my head. That 6.0L is a sweet motor. This new motor I'm sure would be even better, but I'd have to wait a few years until it trickles into the used market.

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 01:12 PM   #14

There is speculation that the 7.3 Godzilla gas will be available in a crate engine in the near future - I read an article that mentions the new 7.3 will fit in a Fox body Mustang. It’s possible that someday Ford Marine might do this engine also. If money is no object or a person has access to a shop these might be options for a higher hp lighter weight configuration?

StraightOuttaBallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 08:53 AM   #15

This is cool and all but a total waste of time for Chevy IMO. Can you walk around in it? I know, many of you dig the old low roof vans. I stand by my opinion that it's just because you haven't owned a Euro style high top (Sprinter/Promaster/Transit). All Chevy would have to do is put a decent looking taller body around that beast they're releasing and they'd sell billions of them.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote