Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2016, 12:04 AM   #1

Clanging sound: shock bumping Transferflow tank on RB van

For years I've been trying to track down this annoyingly loud "clangity-clang-clang" sound from under the van that happens whenever I drive over a series of bumps (which is anytime I'm trying to have "fun" with the van). This kind of problem is so hard to find when parked in the garage. I've been tempted to somehow hang upside down looking under the van as my wife drives.

Anyway, I've been spending a lot of time lately in the garage crawling around under my van, and -- I think I found it!

The left(driver)-rear shock is positioned only a few mm from my TransferFlow gas tank, and the shock appears to have been banging against it. A lot. See photo. And sure enough, if I tap on this with a wrench, it makes the same kind of sound I've been hearing while driving.

If you happen to also have a Ford regular-body with the TransferFlow gas tank, you might want to take a look into this as well.

I'm not sure how I'm going to fix this, as I don't think I can move the tank or the shock. I will probably try to find something strong and thin and impact-absorbing to wedge in that crack.

Any ideas?

-- Geoff

Old 02-03-2016, 01:16 AM   #2

Garage
Since VivaLaVida have two shocks in each corner, had to relocate one on the left rear end when installing the Transflow tank. Just relocated a shock bracket by welding a new one and it now clears the tank well.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschitt View Post
Since VivaLaVida have two shocks in each corner, had to relocate one on the left rear end when installing the Transflow tank. Just relocated a shock bracket by welding a new one and it now clears the tank well.
That's probably the simplest and best idea, since modifying or moving a tank that has already had fuel in it is trouble. For now, could you wrap a bike tube or something around it with a couple of zip ties and see if that quiets it for awhile? It might buy you some time at least.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:22 AM   #4

Some shocks can be run normal or upside down (Bilstien, Fox, etc). It would take some research to figure out the fitment, since our van have a stud mount top, eye bottom configuration in the rear. If you didn't want to relocate a shock mount, running an inverted shock might be an option.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
If you didn't want to relocate a shock mount, running an inverted shock might be an option.
That would be a nice easy fix, but I don't think I can invert these shocks. The rear shocks have a loop on one end and a rod on the other, as pictured on the left below:

If I try inserting some kind of armor to block the clanging, I am considering wrapping the shock with the super-strong tape Sportsmobile supplied to protect the van roof from the penthouse rubbing, "Avery UHA" tape. Probably enhanced with some zip ties to prevent it from unraveling.

-- Geoff
Old 02-03-2016, 11:19 AM   #6

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
You can not invert your shocks as they have different mounts top and bottom, also those shocks are dual tube an cannot be run upside down.

VidaLaVida and Ujoint do not use stock upper shock mounting so that is why that worked.

This is a problem we have run into on customers' vans. The simplest solution is to drill another hole in the upper crossmember, just a short distance away, and remount the shock there, where it will not interfere. Easy fix...

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile View Post
This is a problem we have run into on customers' vans. The simplest solution is to drill another hole in the upper crossmember, just a short distance away, and remount the shock there, where it will not interfere. Easy fix...
Thanks for the idea! I take a look and see if I am up for making this change.

-- Geoff
Old 02-03-2016, 11:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffff View Post
That would be a nice easy fix, but I don't think I can invert these shocks. The rear shocks have a loop on one end and a rod on the other, as pictured on the left below...
In my experience, not all shocks can be inverted and still work properly. But many can.

Looks like your interference is on the cover (that protects the shaft) You'd likely be looking at upgrading shocks to something like a Bilstein 5125 series. Here's a link to Bilstein's downloadable catalog:

Bilstein, Innovation and High Quality Since 1873

Then download the "Offroad" shock catalog. Scroll to page 23 'custom fit'. There are shocks in all sorts of configurations, shown by length, end type, and valving. My van has a 4" lift, so you will likey need a different shock p/n than I would. All the 5125 series shocks don't have a metal cover, rather, a compliant urethane boot.

I can't tell from you picture where the thing is hitting for certain, but you might find running a stud top eye bottom, right side up, would place the interference where the flexible boot is.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:49 AM   #9

or maybe

carefully cut off the upper protective tube, replace it with a urethane boot...
Old 02-04-2016, 12:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile View Post
Hi BajaSportsmobile --

Well, took the shock off and took a look.

The way the upper crossmember is sculpted, it looks to me that I can't really move too far left from the original position for a new hole. There doesn't seem to be room for another hole next to the current one, except for directly adjacent (essentially touching) the other hole (to the west or northwest in my photo). Seeing my photo below, do you agree? And I'd be up against where the upper crossmember starts curving down.

Also, I'm not sure I'm up for drilling a 1" hole with my handheld drill while sitting under the van.

Unfortunately in this process I tore apart the bushing that holds the top of the shock in the hole, so I'll have to figure out how to order a replacement for this:

Does anyone know how I can google up a replacement upper shock bushing?

-- Geoff