Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2018, 06:56 PM   #1

Code 22 4:10 axle ratio and locker question

My van has a code 22 for axle. From what I have found that is a 4:10 gear dana. It is a 2008 E250
Most of what I have read is saying these van's usualy have the dana 60. Is this different because I have the small 4.6 V8?

Since this van is not a 4X4, and mostly going to be highway with a little easy trail riding, and some snow (I live in north IA) I wanted to install a mechanical locker. I dont plan to use it for the snow but some of the easier back roads and what not.

I don't plan to go bigger than the 245 75 16 tires at this point, but I know I can cheat the ratio a little there. I plan to have the computer worked on, so speedometer is not a concern. The van has 145k miles on it.

Aside from the interior build weight there wont be a lot of towing, maybe a small camp trailer, or boat on rare occasion.

So would it be better to go to a 3:73 or the 3:54 rear end? I know I will lose torque, more so with the 54. I was wondering if any one else had this combo of engine and gear that could give me input. I want to get the best MPG I can for range, but not to where I sacrificed all the low end usability.

NEIA Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:45 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Could be the rear end to tail shaft speedo giving the error e

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseberry View Post
Could be the rear end to tail shaft speedo giving the error e
There is no problem now with the van or speedometer reading.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:18 PM   #4

Lots of E-350's come stock with 3.73's....and lots of us here with larger tires want 4.10's (or lower!).....I'd be happy with what you have.

My 2008 has a 3.73 Full float rear end and I'm running 285/70-17's....would like a lower ratio but I'm ok with the 3.73. The van shifts out of OD on any grade..and that's with a 5.4L. I'm getting around 12-13 mpg depending on how fast I drive.

One other thing, starting around 2008, reprogramming the speedo for larger tires becomes problematic....after a chat with tech support at auto enginuity, I was led to believe that the speedo calibration was done in the ABS module and Ford has not provided aftermarket access to that starting around 2008 MY.

If you have success getting your speedo recalibrated please post here.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:51 PM   #5

I'm running 32.8" tires on my '10 E350, 5.4 w/4spd tranny. Had it geared to 4.30 and love it. I'm averaging 13.5mpg. Prior to all the mods I was getting 16mpg.

With the smaller V8, I'd definitely keep the 4.10 gear. Never look at mpg on a vehicle of this size or weight.
2x 1987 BMW 535is
1995 BMW 540i6
winmag4582001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:21 PM   #6
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Ya, keep the 4.10 for sure. If you ever consider getting larger tires, tow or haul more gear, you’re going to like having the taller gears. I’m running 315’s and have 4.10 in my 7.3 now and lug when towing, thinking of going to 4.88
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:00 AM   #7

I've chased fuel economy on various vehicles for years. What I've found is gearing plays a part in that, but only a part. It's possible to go to all the trouble and expense of install a taller rear gear ratio, an get worse FE. Mostly though, in a heavy rig w/smaller engine, the factory replaced engine torque with lower rear end gearing for a better driving experience. Cruising along at a slower mph will have the single biggest effect on FE, stiff side wall street tread tires will also help. Install a Scangauge II, to educate the driver to drive for FE. I've experimented with on-line gear ratio calculators and used tires, temporarily increasing rear tire diameter to simulate a gear change, to test out the 'feel' for less than $100. Lastly, I'm not sure which locker your are looking at, but from the sound of it, you aren't thinking about an ARB $$. Installing a 'lunch box locker' is not very difficult, which work fine for what you're doing, most guys can tackle the job at home in the driveway. Swapping out the ring and pinion on the other hand, adds a whole other level of complexity to the job.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
(snip)
One other thing, starting around 2008, reprogramming the speedo for larger tires becomes problematic....after a chat with tech support at auto enginuity, I was led to believe that the speedo calibration was done in the ABS module and Ford has not provided aftermarket access to that starting around 2008 MY.

If you have success getting your speedo recalibrated please post here.
I am getting 14 to 15 now empty with a canoe on top, but I'm greedy. I was able to squeeze some great MPG out of a couple projects, but finding a Ford tuner, a person, not a plug n play has been problematic. I am a bit tenacious, so I will look in to the speedo programming, and see what I find.

My grandfather started me turning a wrench when I was 8, so I will be doing 90% this myself. I plan to have a local guy do the pinion adjusting. I've done it once on a Chevrolet supervised. I could probably do it, but because he does it all the time, and I don't, yea. I could strip this van to nuts n bolts with no problem... except for the corrosion in some places.

And Tomsbeast, I was pretty well only thinking ARB.