Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2022, 11:12 AM   #1

Connect 4R75E trans to NV273

Hi everybody,
HAPPY new YEAR!!!

I am going to connect a E350 2014 5.4 4R75E transmission to a NV273 transfer case.
Already I did search all relevant threads but still unclear about this.

I know UJOINT and other are doing this and I want to find out, what I really need for this. What parts do I need and what needs to be adopted.

I will be very happy if you could help me and I have reserved a couple of beers in a bar in Berlin Germany for you .
Cheers Martin

Old 01-05-2022, 02:26 PM   #2

Martin, have you viewed this thread?
You will find your answers and more there. If for some strange reason you don't, ask your question in that thread

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...are-22440.html
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 07:31 PM   #3

Are you sure your van has a 4-speed? I thought all the newer vans came with 5r110 regardless of engine (especially the e-350).

If it is the 4r75, you will need a 4x4 transmission output shaft and the 4x4 transmission adapter. Are you planning to do the work yourself? To swap output shaft, the whole guts of the transmission have to come out. The output shaft is the first part to install, then everything goes back in after. For my swap, I pulled the transmission from the van myself and had my transmission guy do a full rebuild while it was apart.

The 5r110 is much easier, you just need to swap the adapter, which can be done without disassembling the entire trans.
Old 01-06-2022, 08:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerson View Post
Are you sure your van has a 4-speed? I thought all the newer vans came with 5r110 regardless of engine (especially the e-350).

If it is the 4r75, you will need a 4x4 transmission output shaft and the 4x4 transmission adapter. Are you planning to do the work yourself? To swap output shaft, the whole guts of the transmission have to come out. The output shaft is the first part to install, then everything goes back in after. For my swap, I pulled the transmission from the van myself and had my transmission guy do a full rebuild while it was apart.

The 5r110 is much easier, you just need to swap the adapter, which can be done without disassembling the entire trans.
My understanding is that only the V10's from 2005-2014 had the 5R110. Everything else has the 4-speed (up until 2014). Not sure about the cutaways after that point.
motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 09:17 AM   #5

@Mikerson : I have the door Sticker trans code Q.
And :
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot from 2022-01-06 17-13-54.jpg  
Old 01-06-2022, 09:22 AM   #6

@Lilnuts2 I am with you not opening new threads if there is allready one for the same problem.
But 1st I know that thread and it did not give the answer to my question, or I did not get it.
And, this thread has more than 51 pages and a complete different subject.
Old 01-06-2022, 09:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerson View Post

If it is the 4r75, you will need a 4x4 transmission output shaft and the 4x4 transmission adapter. Are you planning to do the work yourself? To swap output shaft, the whole guts of the transmission have to come out.

Hm, as far as I remember people wrote it the other way around. Like the 4R75 is easy and the 5R100 is more effort.

Now I am a bit confused....

Also Timberline has got a conversion package for the 4R75 where you have not to change anything on the trans. And quigley seems to be even. Not modifying the trans.
Old 01-06-2022, 09:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinli View Post
Hm, as far as I remember people wrote it the other way around. Like the 4R75 is easy and the 5R100 is more effort.

Now I am a bit confused....

Also Timberline has got a conversion package for the 4R75 where you have not to change anything on the trans. And quigley seems to be even. Not modifying the trans.
Don't know about the 4R75 but you definitely don't need to pull the 5R110. UJoint clearly documents this on their website:
https://www.ujointoffroad.com/about-us/
motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:29 AM   #9

Option contact Quigley as I did years ago. I wanted to keep my 2wd auto on my 7.3 2002 EB. To make finding a replacement easier. I bought the adapter Quigley used on their builds. The only issue is it pushes the Tcase back requiring the tank to be cut or replaced to a 46 gallon. I put the 46 gallon in.
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:07 AM   #10

I think I can contribute to this thread in a meaningful way. It's a confusing topic with lots of partial info from many sources. I have been compiling information for years and plan to publish all of my notes on our website to make things easier to find (my web guy is working on the site now).

The 4R75 trans was used in 5.4L passenger and cargo vans through 2014 (the last year of full-bodied Eseries vans). Cutaway and cab chassis Eseries with the 5.4L came with the 5R110W. (*note... if you're thinking to yourself "Hey, I could put a 5R110W behind my 5.4L?!" Technically, yes. Easily, no. Long story...a topic for another time). Anyway...I digress.

Quigely, Quadvan and Timberline Vans all have their own "Adapter tail housing" and "Spline adapter shaft" specifically designed for the 4R75 trans. They all do this so that you don't have to tear down the transmission to replace the output shaft. The van's 2wd output shaft is 28 spline and as far as I know, the NV271/273 doesn't have an input option for that spline. The custom spline adapters convert the 28 spline shaft to a 34 spline so mating to the NV271/273 is no problem. I doubt that Quigley or Quadvan would sell the parts individually but it never hurts to ask. Timberline's website shows "sold out" at the moment but always good to call Tim to ask about lead time. Customers of mine have used the Timberline kit (~$1900) and it seems to work. These custom housings and adapter shafts are bolt-on and conversion of the trans to 4x4 is very simple. I have done a lot of the upfront work (design/engineering and talking with vendors for rough quotes about machining parts) to come up with my own kit and it could probably be in the sub-$2000 ballpark however, there doesn't seem to be a lot of demand for this sort of thing so I haven't pulled the trigger on making parts.

The other way to convert the 4R75 to 4x4 is to use parts from a 4x4 truck/suv (the output shaft and tail housing). This requires a full tear down of the transmission so the entire assembly has to come out of the van. The 4x4 output shaft is 31 spline...the NV271/273 does have a 31 spline option for the input shaft but not super common after 2004-ish. It's not a fun job to pull the trans but I would argue it isn't a bad idea to refresh the trans at the time of conversion because most of these 4x4 vans get used more and weigh more than they did in their previous 2wd lives.

The relevant part numbers for the 4R75E:
Tail housing: 3L3P-7A040-AB
Output shaft: F4TZ-7060-A
Tail housing gasket: 9C2Z-7086-B
T-case gasket: E7TZ-7086-A
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote