Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2019, 10:24 AM   #1

Coolant Questions

So... got a new water pump and a 3 step coolant flush (block plugs included) and got new CAT ELC coolant in the system. Fine and dandy but this 6L diesel sure runs hot now. Got 235 on oil and about 228 on coolant a couple of times in recent days. NEVER ever got that high before the water pump and coolant replacement. Seems to run about 15* warmer than before. I find that a bit disturbing but I know that these engines run hot. Hot enough to melt the chocolate in my trail mix bag in the dog house cubby.

So questions are about the type and brands of coolants. Do they have differing properties and does one type work better than the other. Sort of makes me want to go back to Ford coolant as I do have a coolant filter on it. 54k for miles on this 2009 E350.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:50 AM   #2

Nope. Should not affect operating temps at all. Since this happened at the same time as the coolant change, I'd suspect the system isn't bleeding off an airpocket.

Is your cooling fan coming on? Cooling system work can pull the plug out of the fan clutch.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:54 AM   #3

Oh yes... the fan is working a lot. Interesting about the air pocket theory.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:00 PM   #4

Sometimes you need to raise the front end up to get a good burp. Although usually driving it then letting it cool down takes care of it.

Once you're sure it's fully burped, I'd begin to suspect the water pump. The plastic stock water pumps impellers are plastic, and eventually can unseat from the shaft. I could see flushing chemicals accelerating this if yours was close to happening anyways.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:36 PM   #5

I was just going to ask how you burp the system but that sure hasn't helped as I just did a 800 mile road trip over 3 days. The water pump is aftermarket and steel as the stocker plastic one let go. Of course, the technician that did the work is not answering his phone and his VM is full.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:19 AM   #6

Thumbs up

If you noticed a substantial increase in oil/coolant temps after a flush, then there is a good possibility that your flush caused some combination of silicates/rust/sand to plug your oil cooler which will foul the effectiveness of your coolant system. If you were previously using Ford's crap Gold coolant, its likely that silicate gel was the main culprit. The only way to clear that is with using 'Restore' (not Restore Plus) during a flush. If you cooler is overly plugged, the Restore won't be able to clear the small oil cooler passages and you should then try a backflush. There are aftermarket backflush fittings that can be bolted onto a plate that sits above the oil cooler - access is through the doghouse. The one from Accurate Diesel looks like the best choice for a van engine as its slimmer and shouldn't require anything else to be moved.

Sorry if this is repeating the obvious, as I'm new to your site and don't know the history yet of previous discussions- I'm normally on Ford Truck Enthusiasts forum, but van's with 6.0's are few and far between there. They do have more info on the 6.0 that most other groups though, and tons of stuff on oil coolers and coolant.
Ford should be chastised for still recommending its 'Gold' when its well documented that any 6.0 that is run hard/hot (which is unavoidable with RV rigs such as mine) will experience silicate drop-out and subsequent serious issues. You are wise to be only using an EC-1 rated coolant, and brand type doesn't much matter.

Bob
Old 07-15-2019, 07:52 AM   #7

Thanks to you too Bob, I have been thinking the the oil cooler might just be plugged up too. Appears that the degas bottle on the system takes care of any air pockets so going to take a look at the oil cooler scenario. That kind of makes sense that some crap came loose after/during the flush and clogged things up a bit. I was hoping to wait till about 70K to change that cooler but will look at back flushing it.

Bob
Old 07-21-2019, 01:49 PM   #8

I suspect your oil cooler is plugged from the flush. My 6.0 was running way too hot and I used “Restore" first and then "Restore plus”. Follow the directions. The system is now normal
lolo is offline   Reply With Quote