Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2020, 02:28 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
My buddy has a shop and ordered an aftermarket model. Stock is about $160 but I would have had to order it. I didn't ask the price but he said the aftermarket was a bit cheaper. I'll post back with the results.

Seems there was also a post many years back about a stock ford cap vs an aftermarket.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
My buddy has a shop and ordered an aftermarket model. Stock is about $160 but I would have had to order it. I didn't ask the price but he said the aftermarket was a bit cheaper. I'll post back with the results.
Do you have a link or P/N for the aftermarket recovery bottle?

I just discovered that mine is cracked as well and needs to be replaced.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:04 AM   #13
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
I replaced my own degas bottle in a 2003 E250 with 5.4 gas engine--it too had sprung a small leak. I also replaced the cap, both parts 100% OEM. IIRC I paid less than $80 for mine, maybe 3 years ago? Eventually I found a partially clogged OEM radiator that was the source of a continued higher pressure inside the whole cooling system.

Honestly while the cheaper brands are attractive based on cost alone such an important part isn't something I care to skrimp on when time to buy new. I'm fairly certain had it not been for another reason the original bottle would have lasted the life of the van. I'm also running a 2000 E250 with 5.4 motor, just over 290K miles still on its factory-original degas bottle.

From what I've read here and on FTE too its a rare event with that part needs replaced due failure. For that reason I'm okay spending for the better part. Most of the aftermarket stuff is at best unproven, to me anyway.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:18 PM   #14
Site Team

Garage
Ended up with the stock Ford bottle and it was actually cheaper than aftermarket tank. But I did purchased it through a shop (my buddy) and saved 30 bucks.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 05:42 AM   #15
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
Ended up with the stock Ford bottle and it was actually cheaper than aftermarket tank. But I did purchased it through a shop (my buddy) and saved 30 bucks.
Good on ya for going OEM---and 30 bucks is 30 bucks for beer etc etc.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:58 AM   #16

$101 for the degas bottle at Autonation ford. https://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...OC1kaWVzZWw%3D
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:23 AM   #17

Garage
Flex Tape, LOL!!!

Funny enough my first thought, after watching way too much late night TV, was FlexSeal. I mean heck, on TV it can fix anything!

Now on the serious side, I have looked for a quality degas bottle for my 2005 6.0 diesel van and have not found one. I have a 2002 F250 diesel pickup and I put in an aluminum degas bottle (more like rectangular container than bottle) and I love it. I do a lot of off-roading in the F-250 and have cracked a degas bottle, likely from vibration, so an aluminum one appealed to me. I have hunted high and low for the same type for the 6.0 diesel van and did not find any. If anyone knows of one, please let me know!
Glenn P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:27 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn P. View Post
Funny enough my first thought, after watching way too much late night TV, was FlexSeal. I mean heck, on TV it can fix anything!

Now on the serious side, I have looked for a quality degas bottle for my 2005 6.0 diesel van and have not found one. I have a 2002 F250 diesel pickup and I put in an aluminum degas bottle (more like rectangular container than bottle) and I love it. I do a lot of off-roading in the F-250 and have cracked a degas bottle, likely from vibration, so an aluminum one appealed to me. I have hunted high and low for the same type for the 6.0 diesel van and did not find any. If anyone knows of one, please let me know!

In all my searching for E vs F series aftermarket mods I've never seen one. Same as the air box.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 12:51 PM   #19

What I would try if it was me is I've had good luck using super glue on the crack/hole and surrounding and then while it's wet, sprinkle baking soda onto the glue. Then repeat super glue and then sprinkle to build up a hard repair and watch some smoke come out each time the baking soda is sprinkled, it chemically reacts like crazy.
jimtmcdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 08:50 PM   #20

This might not count for anything but I've used JB Water Weld epoxy a couple of times with good results. I used it on my bait tank on my boat and more recently on an ABS drain pipe in my condo. The drain pipe in the wall is a common one for two units and would have involved opening up the wall in the kitchen to replace a Y fitting. I cleaned it up the best I could and loaded up the JB Weld on the outside of the fitting. It's been about six months now and so far so good.

My opinion is that OEM is great for everyday daily driver stuff. For extreme use, I usually go aftermarket. My latest purchase (nothing to do with this thread topic) this week was a Rotopac fuel container. I've been using big box store containers and they just can't hold up. The Rotopac was expensive but it's built like a tank!
newoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote