Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2012, 08:25 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon
Re: Cruise control intermittent failure?

You mean like the Scangauge that I have on my dash? DUH!!!- I look at the thing every time I drive, and forgot that it reads codes. No brains, no headaches.....
Thanks,
Bill

Old 08-07-2012, 07:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon
You mean like the Scangauge that I have on my dash? DUH!!!- I look at the thing every time I drive, and forgot that it reads codes. No brains, no headaches.....
Thanks,
Bill
If the dealer couldn't pull a code with he factory diagnostics tool, the scanguage won't.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:56 AM   #13

Garage

Mine died just thus past week. Is it an epidemic? My scan gage shows no codes. ?
Old 08-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Mine died just thus past week. Is it an epidemic? My scan gage shows no codes. ?
I guess I need to be clearer when I say brake light switch.
It could be either the brake light switch, the one that turns the brake lights on or more likely the brake pressure switch on the master cylinder. The brake pressure/cruise deactivation switch is the part that has been recalled and superseded a few times for the 2003 and older Fords but they are prone to failure on all Fords, especially if the brake fluid is dirty. This is the part that deserteagle56 had replaced to fix his, they are only $20 to buy plus brake fluid and labor if needed. It is one thing that might not show a code unless it is shorted (the older Ford Cruise Control fires are caused by this switch). The brake light switch goes closed when you press the pedal. The Brake Pressure switch goes open when the pressure goes up when the brakes are applied. It is hydraulic and works with brake fluid pressure. (has the brake fluid been correctly serviced every 2-3 years?) That might not show a code because it is normal but does not work when it should, it just thinks you never pressed the brakes so its normal. What could be happening is as the fluid gets hot it no longer opens when the brakes are pushed. If the fluid is dirty it could be blocked because (at least on my van) it is located on the bottom of the master cylinder. Also your scan tool might not be able to see all of the codes either as scan tools only have to be able to read the basic codes not all of the codes that Ford can see with their tool. Depending on your scanner you might be able to see if the brake light switch opens and closes within the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) and that the brake pressure switch is working.

Someone said something about the Wrench Light being on. The Wrench Light is for the Electronic Throttle Control subsystem. (ETC) or as some call it fly by wire. If the Wrench Light comes on the system has a fault and the cruise control will not work. Many newer cars and trucks (most?) do not have throttle cables any more and the throttle is opened and closed by the PCM (in Fords case) This is also how the cruise control is controlled as well as any idle adjustments are made.(park or drive, A/C compressor on or off, cold or hot engine, things like that)

So on these newer vans the engine control modual runs the cruise they are no longer a separate cruise control unit. Here is a list of inputs that it needs to see for the cruise to work from the 2008 Ford work shop manual.

Brake/Stop light switch
Transmission output shaft speed sensor (OSS)
Digital transmission range sensor (TR)
Speed/Cruise control switches
Speed/Cruise control deactivator/brake pressure switch
Accelerator pedal position sensors
Parking brake off

There is a lot of information in the manual like this basic information part,some of these I didn't know about.
Any faults in the PCM or ETC systems the cruise will not work (safety reasons)
The Transmission selector has to be in Drive or Overdrive or the Cruise will not work
If the set speed is over ridden by the throttle/accelerator pedal for more than five minutes the cruise will shut off.
If the van speed loss is more than 10 MPH when the cruise is on it will shut off.
If it drops below 30 MPH it will shut off
If the steering wheel switch is pressed or stuck for longer than two minutes it will shut off.
If the parking brake light come on, it will stop working.

So things to check for.
Do you see the green cruise on light when the cruise switch is pressed while over 25 or so mph?
With the key on (not started) do you see the brake warning light come on without the emergency brake set? It should come on for a few seconds and them go off as a self test. If not that is the brake pressure switch going bad. Try is as soon as the cruise stops working in case temperature matters.
Are the steering wheel switches free moving and not sticky or anything.You and push them all you want when the van is off.
Does your steering wheel make any noises when turning, clock spring could be going bad.
Are there any warning lights on (brake, wrench, or check engine) when the cruise does not work?
Is it going in to drive correctly? Is the shift lever moving OK?
Does the speedometer work OK?
Is the parking brake light off? Does it stay off while driving?

If all that is good I would replace that brake pressure/cruise deactivation switch, clean and flush the brake system, fill with the proper brake fluid and I bet the cruise will work just fine. Unless you have a Check Engine or Wrench Light and that should be a code you can pull up to find what wrong.
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

WOW!!!
Thanks for taking the time to lay that all out.
There's a ton of really good info there. Maybe we'all can figure out our various problems from that list of possibilities.
Again, Thanks
Bill
Old 08-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #16
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon
WOW!!!
Thanks for taking the time to lay that all out.
There's a ton of really good info there. Maybe we'all can figure out our various problems from that list of possibilities.
Again, Thanks
Bill
x2 on Jamie's post. Replys like this get cut and pasted into my "van problems" folder on my vans PC. Nice to have that kind of info while on the road.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #17

I used to teach technicians how to repair Porsches for almost ten years so I really like to understand exactly how systems work and then how to explain them to others. For me it is fun sharing what I have learned through the years about cars and trucks.

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #18

Well Done!
Rear Axle - 1 Ton Spec Dana 60/Full Floating
Eaton E-Lockers Front And Rear/4:10 Gears
ARB Differential Covers - Nodular Iron With Dipstick And Drain Plug
Leaf Spring Suspension Front And Rear
46 Gal Transfer-Flow Fuel Tank
ExtremeAire Magnum Air Compressor
Reunel Rear Bumper
On And On ...
BIGVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:00 AM   #19

Hopefully this will wake up the thread. I recently purchased a a 2006 E350 XLT 5.4, it was from a used lot and as such only received the customary 30 day 50/50 warranty on the van. Everything about it has been fine, it's a solid, however the set/accel button on the cruise control was broken and I had asked that they be replaced prior to me taking delivery. They did so and the cruise control seemed to work fine now its become intermittent and aggravating as I use the CC all the time. Also noticed that there is NO CC indicator light on the dash, is this normal?

Where should i look first for the intermittent problem?

Thanks
Old 05-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #20

I have a 98 Ford and my cruise control is hit or miss, too. It doesn't "cut out," but sometimes the steering wheels controls won't turn it on for some reason. I've attributed this to the buttons being old and worn out. At the junkyard last weekend I grabbed a set of cruise control wheel buttons and may try to swap them out to see if it helps any.

I was also wondering about an indicator light...
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote