Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2011, 06:50 PM   #11

Re: Cummins engine replacement for the 6.0.

any other advantages with the 5.9 over the 6.7?

Ketcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketcham
any other advantages with the 5.9 over the 6.7?
It's easier to make more power with it. Also, the Cummins 6.7L does not have a stellar reputation. Failures are not uncommon, and overall costs to operate are much higher than the 5.9L. Plus, it weighs more. It's not hard for me to top 5,000 pounds on my front axle, so lighter is better. Just type "cummins 6.7 problems" into google, and that should keep you busy for a while.

BTW - the CommonRail 5.9 is not an easy install. I like it because it's really smooth, especially compared to the 12-Valve Cummins. The 12-Valve is the easiest install, because there are no electronics. But stock the 12-valvs is pretty slow compared to any of the stock van motors, except the 5.4L, and once you start adding power to the 12-valve, it becomes louder and tends to blow black smoke.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:31 PM   #13

Garage
Cummins engine replacement for the 6.0.

When I picked up my van from Quadvan John said he was starting the conversion on his own van to a cummins. I didn't ask a lot of questions but he made it sound like it was pretty straight forward. He also offered to make mine quadrasteer as that is what I gave up in my suburban to get my van. Seems like a great project to me. My 7.3 is nice but I drove my sisters Duramax and about got a whiplash. Love all that torque.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiesel
My 7.3 is nice but I drove my sisters Duramax and about got a whiplash. Love all that torque.
The only way I'd ever get whiplash in my 6.0 is if a Mac truck rear ended me. What ever programming I have right now is dangerous off the line. It's absolutely scary on a short freeway merge.
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:36 PM   #15

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum but am so glad I found it ! About 8 months ago I purchased a very pristine 1979 Ford E250 4x4 van that was converted by Pathfinder. I fell in love with it cause I've always wanted a 4x4 van and this one also has a snow plow mounted up front (only when it snows of course) and it has a huge winch and a propane heater. It has the 460 big block with only 68,000 original miles and it is the extended van and it was stored inside it's entire life (you can really tell). But my question is whether or not to swap in a diesel for better mpg. ? I would like to hear everyone's thoughts and idea's, I live in Pennsylvania so it is a possibility as far as legalities are concerned, I'm just wondering would I ever recoup the $$ from the conversion ? I have a nephew who is just finishing automotive school as well as a brother-in-law who is an automotive tech. so I was looking at trying to do the conversion myself with their help mainly cause I don't have 20k to pay someone. Of course I will run the 460 gasser till she dies when ever that may be.
But I was also wondering one more thing, is there anyway I could purchase a hightop for my van somewhere and install it ? Has anyone done it themselves ? I'm just looking for a little more head room as well as the possibility of bunk beds for my kids-the van is our RV for camping. I look forward to anyone's idea's and input-I will try to update my profile with a picture as soon as I can, Thanks.
ruralcarrier4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:28 AM   #16
Site Team

Congrats on the van purchase.

If you're looking to justify a significant engine swap like this based upon Return On Investment, I think you better plan on driving 25,000+ miles a year for a lot of years. Even purchasing a diesel engine on a new vehicle is hard to justify financially. I prefer diesels in a lot of circumstances, but it's almost never for financial reasons.

For increasing MPG, you might be better off with a transmisison swap (with overdrive) or install a add-on overdrive unit. Even then, it will really only benefit you while driving on the highway.

Herb
Old 11-04-2011, 03:15 AM   #17

Thanks Herb, you've confirmed what I have been wondering about. Not that I won't one day make the switch, but not right now and instead focus on getting an overdrive.

-Jim
Old 11-04-2011, 09:17 AM   #18

You can buy a lot of gas for $20,000. That said, you could find a used (Ford) Cummins engine with the matched Ford transmission out of a F650 or similar to swap at a junkyard for much less than $20k.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:56 PM   #19

I never thought of going that route-great idea ! I would never spend 20k on a conversion even if I did have the $ , I would rather do it myself.

--Jim
Old 11-05-2011, 09:34 AM   #20
Site Team

Off topic now, but here's one place to start if you are investigating overdrive units. No personal experience with this company, but they are one of, if not the, major player in the overdrive market.

http://www.gearvendors.com/4x4.html

Herb