Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2019, 11:09 PM   #1

Dana 60 to D 70 swap?

I have a 2010 E350 XLT with a D 60 semi float, I found a D 70 ff out of a 2009 E350 that I'd like to swap into mine. This rear end is complete, everything including the parking brake cable.
What it doesn't have is the RSC which mine does, can this be added to the D 70, can the system be omitted or turned off in the van?
Are there other concerns I should have, things to look for with this swap?
Being a converted 4x4 would the RSC even still be activated in my van.
Thanks for any answers you may be able to provide me.

gwbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:42 AM   #2

Yes, that's a good match. The 2009 axle already has the 2-channel brake system with outboard wheel speed sensors, needed for RSC.

Check the gear ratio of course. I' pretty sure the cutaways only were offered in 4.10.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Yes, that's a good match. The 2009 axle already has the 2-channel brake system with outboard wheel speed sensors, needed for RSC.

Check the gear ratio of course. I' pretty sure the cutaways only were offered in 4.10.
You're right about the 4.10. He said the width is about 70", but was having trouble measuring by himself, does that sound right? I could get rid of the spacers if so.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated!
Old 03-31-2019, 11:23 PM   #4

It's 72" wide, so you would need to ditch the spacers to keep the tires vaguely under the fenders.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:31 AM   #5

Quote:

I'm told the axle for sure is out of a 2009 E350 cutaway, he said he doesn't think it has the wheel sensors, he's trying to get me better pictures.
Could this be possible with this year/type axle? If so, can the system be disabled or just not used?
I have wondered how effective these systems are, especially offroad, after the lifts, big tires and 4x4 conversions are done.
Thanks again for your help.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwbuild View Post
I'm told the axle for sure is out of a 2009 E350 cutaway, he said he doesn't think it has the wheel sensors, he's trying to get me better pictures.
Could this be possible with this year/type axle? If so, can the system be disabled or just not used?
I have wondered how effective these systems are, especially offroad, after the lifts, big tires and 4x4 conversions are done.
Thanks again for your help.
If it has a pumpkin-mounted speed sensor, and not wheel speed sensors, it's not a 2009. No, you can't drive without the correct sensor configuration, as those control your ABS which also controls your brake proportioning. I mean, I guess you could drive around with zero ABS but I certainly don't recommend it.

Done properly, 4x4 plays fine with RSC. Quigley and QuadVan conversions have no issues under normal conditions. Other conversions may have issues with it (such as false activation). Off-road, the biggest area with false activation seems to be driving in sand.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:24 PM   #7

Quote:
If it has a pumpkin-mounted speed sensor, and not wheel speed sensors, it's not a 2009. No, you can't drive without the correct sensor configuration, as those control your ABS which also controls your brake proportioning. I mean, I guess you could drive around with zero ABS but I certainly don't recommend it.

Done properly, 4x4 plays fine with RSC. Quigley and QuadVan conversions have no issues under normal conditions. Other conversions may have issues with it (such as false activation). Off-road, the biggest area with false activation seems to be driving in sand.
Thanks for taking the time to educate me on these axles.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:29 PM   #8

Quote:

Off-road, the biggest area with false activation seems to be driving in sand.
Yep! Happens a lot on my 2013 Quadvan. It's annoying bc the traction control disable button only works temporarily and there have been a couple times where I wanted to power thru some soft sand but traction control got in the way.
Oogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 03:03 PM   #9

Quote:

So this d70 axle does not have the outboard sensors, it does have a threaded hole on top of the pumpkin, could this be the location for a magnetic pick up?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190419_225207348.jpg   IMG_20190419_225312428.jpg  
Old 04-21-2019, 10:09 AM   #10

That's just a boss for holding the brake lines. Sensor would go between the "fins" and it does not look present in your pic.