Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2018, 04:18 PM   #1

Delaminating Fuel Tank

Hello Everyone,
I pulled my fuel tank to install the draw for my Espar D2 and found the flakes from delimitation. There’s quite a lot of flakes in the tank and the pick-up screen (Photos below or gallery here)

I’ve been doing research on what to do and am looking for some advice from those who may have dealt with the problem. Here’s what I’ve come up with:

Option 1
Boil and refinish current tank - Seems like its probably the most cost effective, but i am not sure if its the best option. Looking around, I need to find a good shop. I live in a small town but I’m close-is to Portland, OR. Anyone know good of a good shop there?

Option 2
Ford OEM Tank - It is going to have the same coating (right?) and be fairly spendy. This seems like the least attractive option

Option 3
Aftermarket tank - Brand new tank without the worry of future delamination, but more expensive. I looked at aero tank (40 gallon!) and spectra tank (would need this one cut to accommodate 4x4). Does Ujoint still make one?

Also, in addition to a new tank, what else should I be doing?
Fuel filter? (have it and will be replacing to see if there are flakes in it)
Hutch Mod? / New sending unit?
Pre-pump filter?

Sorry for all the questions, I’m pretty overwhelmed with this.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Oh, and the van is a ’02 7.3 RB Quigley e350.

Thanks,
Tyler

tmalay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 05:51 PM   #2

Tyler, I have a metal tank from a ‘98 and a plastic one from a ‘13 laying around collecting dust. Both with fuel pumps. PM me if interested. Am in Oregon City.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 06:07 PM   #3

One of my favorite parts of our build is the 46 gal Transfer Flow fuel tank. The range - especially with our 7.3 PSD - is amazing. If that tank is still available - and fits your budget - you might consider it.

Joe
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:11 AM   #4

Those Transfer Flow tanks look really nice.

I like the idea of having more range as well, I'm not sure it fits the budget, but I''ll have to look at it a little closer and see if maybe i could swing it... and contact them to see if its available still, im not seeing it on their website
Old 11-03-2018, 09:28 AM   #5

Wow, it looks like you caught that just in time. Far better now than broken down on the side of the road in some far away spot. I vote for the Transfer flow's extended range if you can afford it and can use the extra fuel.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:35 AM   #6

Agile Off Road installs and sells the 45 gallon Arrow tanks which may be another option. I think the are around $1,200.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:40 AM   #7

Thats what I was thinking too arctictraveller. I'm glad I'm home in the driveway vs out on the road somewhere...
Old 11-03-2018, 09:48 AM   #8

I'll take a look at those Agile Arrow tanks too larrie. Could be a good option with a road trip mixed in.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:59 AM   #9

Check with MG also. I think he installs the rear tanks from cut aways and cuts in a new fuel door. I think they usually use them as an extra tank but no reason you couldn’t remove the front tank all together.

I thought about going that route then placing my house batteries where the old fuel tank was. Then using the original fuel tank door as my shore power location.
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:43 PM   #10

AeroTanks has 40-gallon replacement and auxiliary tanks too. Ford Fuel Tanks - AeroTanks
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote