Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2014, 11:50 PM   #1

Diesel CNG? Anyone have any experience with this?

http://www.cisdiesel.com/diesel-cng-...ps-diesel-rvs/

Was just looking for a diesel shop in SLC when I came across this. Seems like a cool idea but I haven't been able to find much info on it. Not sure if there would even be a place to put a tank on my SMB but thought it might be something to look into, the 60% increase in mpg seems too good to be true.

What are your thoughts? Anyone familiar with this type of system?

kyleblase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:50 AM   #2
Site Team

Re: Diesel CNG? Anyone have any experience with this?

Interesting, but I've never heard of combining diesel and CNG. I know Methanol/water injection is used, but that's an interesting one, though I'm very skeptical.

I know vehicles running just CNG do get better mileage and lower emissions, but your range is compromised or you have to carry a really large, heavy tank.

Herb
Old 09-05-2014, 12:47 PM   #3

Ya I've owned a cng bi-fuel (runs on either conventional or cng) vehicle before and they are pretty nice, especially here in Utah where its so cheap. This concept of combining the fuels is new to me and I've never seen or heard anything about it except for here. If it did work, it would be pretty cool. I think I'm going to go the shop and look at some tuners anyway so I'll ask them about the system and report back.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:06 PM   #4

Hi,

I've heard of LNG in diesels. They are using about 5% diesel and the rest liquid natural gas right through a diesel injector.

This is one way the Class 8 prime movers are looking at reducing their fuel bills.

Cummins is using CNG by putting it into the intake and using the existing diesel injector to ignite the mix.

http://cumminsengines.com/dual-fuel

T. Boone Pickens may yet get his natural gas economy.

Regards,

Gavin
Old 09-08-2014, 04:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleblase
......cut......., the 60% increase in mpg seems too good to be true.

What are your thoughts? Anyone familiar with this type of system?
I can't open the link, but I'd be skeptical of any claim of 60% in "miles per gallon", unless it's being expressed on a fuel cost equivalent figuring natural gas is a lot cheaper than diesel fuel.

Compressed natural gas isn't normally measured in gallons anyway, so MPG is hard to follow. In any case, the thermal efficiency of natural gas engines isn't that different than gasoline or diesel, so I'm skeptical of 60 percent improvement -- unless on fuel cost basis only.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:53 PM   #6

Supposedly the addition of CNG to the diesel fuel helps the diesel fuel itself combust more completely. Not enough info out there to really validate this.