Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2007, 07:56 PM   #1

Diesel Engine and Fuel Additives

Are those of you with the diesel engine using any type of fuel additives? If yes, can you elaborate a bit on which type and what the actual benefits are? Thanks as always.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:07 PM   #2

I have used Amsoil's additive and like it, but am too lazy to put it in every time. I do notice that the engine feels like it runs smoother quieter and gets a little better mileage when I do use it.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:35 AM   #3

Diesel add

I would use the one from Ford....Less problems with warranty.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:46 AM   #4

I also use the Ford additive. Can't really tell that it does anything - but, I did have two injectors fail before I started using it and none since. Maybe it is just peace of mind with ULSD.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:32 AM   #5
Site Team

I use Stanadyne Performance formula in both my SMB and my VW Passat wagon. I'll echo what others have said, it's for peace of mind (reliability and longevity of my diesels). BTW, VW has endorsed at least one of Stanadyne's formulas for use with it's engines, and Ford did at least for the 7.3L PowerStroke, not sure if they put out an endoresement for the 6.0L.

Herb
Old 11-07-2007, 10:36 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies. From everything I've read and a conversation with a "diesel enthusiast", it sounds like the Stanadyne Performance additive would be the best choice. Typically, most of my driving is in Southern CA, with some relatively frequent Baja trips. However, we also spend some time in the mountains, including below freezing temperatues. So I need something that will be helpful, or at least not harmful, in these varied conditions.

Now for a dumb question. What is the best quantity size to purchase for the 46 gallon tank? Do you buy a couple pint bottles (treats 60 gallons) then refill them with the half gallon sizes? Is there an easier/better method? Thanks again.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:34 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea
Thanks for the replies. From everything I've read and a conversation with a "diesel enthusiast", it sounds like the Stanadyne Performance additive would be the best choice. Typically, most of my driving is in Southern CA, with some relatively frequent Baja trips. However, we also spend some time in the mountains, including below freezing temperatues. So I need something that will be helpful, or at least not harmful, in these varied conditions.

Now for a dumb question. What is the best quantity size to purchase for the 46 gallon tank? Do you buy a couple pint bottles (treats 60 gallons) then refill them with the half gallon sizes? Is there an easier/better method? Thanks again.
Yeah, that's a tough one since naturally the larger sizes are more economical. I ended up buying two cases of the pint sizes. Not the most economical, but fairly convenient. I keep a few bottles in my rear bumper's camper box.

I will say that this stuff is like concentrated diesel-stink. If you think getting diesel fuel smell off your hands is a PITA, wait till you get some of this on your hands. Carry lots of latex or nitrile gloves (these are also in my camper box).

Herb
Old 11-08-2007, 05:18 PM   #8

I agree with Herb. I've used Stanadyne's basic 'performance' formula, purchased in the 1-pint case @ $66.96...about $5.75 a bottle shipped/no tax. IIRC, 1-pint will treats about 60 gallons. I use it routinely and have no complaints.

www.usdieselparts.com

1 Case (12-Pints) Stanadyne Performance Formula
Your Price: $66.96
Save $33.48 over the retail price of $100.44!

In Stock Now!
Stanadyne Performance Formula® Diesel Fuel Additive

•The premium all-season, multi-function diesel fuel additive, designed to tackle virtually any diesel fuel related problem
• Meets all fuel system requirements
• Approved by Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs)

• Cold Weather Protection - reduces diesel pour point up to 40°F (22°C), and cold filter plug point by up to 25°F (13°C), depending on base fuel
• Hot Weather Protection - lubricants and cetane improver help when fuel is hot and “thin”
• Increases Horsepower - with up to 5 point cetane gain to improve combustion, resulting in better acceleration, power and torque
• Reduces Fuel Consumption - independent tests show gains up to 9.6% in MPG
• Easier and Faster Starting - in all conditions
• Reduces Smoke and Particulate Emissions - and is suitable for ultra low sulfur diesel
• Cleans and Protects - detergents and deposit modifiers help protect injection pumps, injectors, nozzles, etc.
• Reduces Wear - lubricity improvers restore lubricity to ultra low sulfur and other low lubricity diesel fuels
• Stabilizes Fuel - antioxidants keep fuel fresher
• Contains No Alcohol - avoids corrosion and accelerated wear
• Helps Remove Water - special demulsifiers cause tiny water droplets to come out of suspension/emulsion, so the filter/separator can more effectively remove water
• Specially Formulated for use with ultra low sulfur diesel fuel
• Can be used with Bio Diesel Fuel (up to B5, or 5% bio content)

Add Stanadyne Additives to tank before filling with diesel fuel to ensure thorough mixing. Tighten additive cap securely after use and store upright. Store above 32°F (0°C). All Stanadyne Diesel Fuel Additives can be blended with each other and “double-dosing” is not damaging — although it may not provide twice the benefit. Where engine and vehicle Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) have approved Stanadyne, most of them recommend Stanadyne Performance Formula, which should be used at every refueling year-round to ensure protection against fuel related problems and to maximize performance.

Please call for further information or to request a Material Safety Data Sheet.
canyonclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 06:18 PM   #9

Garage
Holy Cow! Does it really do ALL THAT?? How come no one can actually tell? I've always been a non-believer in additives, but.....
Old 11-08-2007, 06:42 PM   #10
Site Team

I think I paid about $55 a case, but I can't recall if it included shipping. I'll see if I can't dig up the website where I bought it from and find out about the shipping (ground only, cannot be shipped by air).

As for all the claims...who knows. It's kind of like vitamins for yourself, who knows if it's actually helping or not.

Herb