Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2009, 05:03 PM   #1

Diesel Fuel Additive

I had been using 2-stroke oil as an additive. But, I figured would need more than 10 gallons to get to Alaska and back. Since I couldn't count on finding it everywhere, I needed some other solution.

From the additive test on Dieselstop.com I noticed OptiLube summer additive placed high at 3000:1(1oz/23.4gal) ratio, and Opti claims better performance at 1500:1. I could get by with 2 quarts for the whole trip, and that is alot cheaper than the 2-stroke oil, and waaay smaller.

4000 miles later. For every ~30 gallon fillup, I've been adding 2 ounces. I can't tell any change from the 2-stroke oil, other than convenience. Mileage may be up (I've averaged over 18mpg for the last 3000 miles). When I consider that I'm not putting in a quart of oil each tank, I must be putting in an additional quart of diesel, so if the mileage were the same that would be good. We'll see what happens for the rest of the trip.

So far, I'm happy with the OptiLube.

Mike

2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Diesel Fuel Additive

Clearly, you're traveling east-bound with the jet stream, in the flatest part of the country.

Let us know what you get on the roundtrip. When do you hit Alaska?

Herb
Old 06-09-2009, 06:30 PM   #3

Its all uphill coming this way, and western Montana is far from flat, but the mileage stayed the same.

My wife flies into Spokane day after tomorrow (11th) and we head up. Maybe we will hit Alaska the 16th or so.

You better hope she takes some good pictures for posting.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Old 06-15-2009, 09:44 PM   #4

I just got my package of opti-lube today. I got a gallon of summerblend(most economical), a gallon of the XPD (on sale, comes with the pump), and 1 quart of the oil fortifier. If you hit $100 shipping is free. Since this SMB is new to me, I am getting a base and will see what impovement each step brings. Just installed the Scangauge to get a starting point. First the fuel additive. Then oil change with oil additive.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:14 AM   #5

I purchased used and wanted to clean the fuel system. Who knows if anything has ever been run through it. I have been running on a tank of diesel treated with fuel system cleaner in it. I have been dreading getting in it in the morning and taking the kids to school. The engine seemed like it knocked and took forever to warm up. The journey to school is very short. Yesterday the tank ran out and I filled up and added my OPTI LUBE. Did not think anything of it until I went to take the kids to school this morning. It fired up so quiet and smooth. It was like I had already warmed up the engine. The difference is increadable. The engine puuurrrs on this stuff, and the quantity added is so small. I can only imagine the friction reduction that is taking place, and the longevity added to engine life.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:14 PM   #6
Site Team

Wow, you're just getting around to using the Opti-Lube? I only say that because you posted that you got it in June of this year.

I've been using Stanadyne Performance, but based on the test results from the one test (posted in another thread), and the fact that the Summer Blend Opti-Lube is much more economical than Standayne, I just ordered the Summer Blend earler this week, and will be interested in any subjective differences I hear/feel.

Herb
Old 11-24-2009, 01:42 PM   #7

I had been using it earlier, but while adding it I been changing clogged fuel filter, oil filter tune up stuff, along with playing with the tranny. I never just got to run at a base line to start. So I had run 1 normal tank without OPTI LUBE, then another tank with the cleaner. So after 4-500 miles(using just the 20g front tank), when I finally got to put the OPTI back in, I could really tell the difference.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:52 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

I've yet to get an answer on this but I'd like to know if it is compatable with Espar products. At least it would be nice to know because Espar claims that additives should not be used. I am using the Ford additive which hasn't seem to give the Espar stuff any trouble yet.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:53 PM   #9

Dave,

At 2 ounces/30 gallons it is hard to imagine it could be an issue with the Espar. But then it does work to make the injectors quieter at that low level.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper